100,000 miles in 110 days

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
this plan is still in my head, 100,000 miles in 110 days.
I believe it is do-able, not easy, but do-able.
Ive been emailing people like crazy, but not much response t.b.h.
If someone has a spare £30,000 hanging around, ill set off tomorrow, i believe PIG could do it.
The route, would be quite monotonous, but unless anyone from abroad wants to sponsor me, id keep it in u.k, and do 50 jogle-lejog, using the iba route.
This would make the logistics easier, mainly for bike servicing and me servicing.
As chris said, i will probably run into trouble with insurance, but if my plan works, id be riding on company insurance, (as it wouldnt be my bike)

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Well the possibility of this ride happening has taken an interesting turn.
My company was taken over by a >$600 million dollar american company, who are big on charity things. (I bent the ear of the global operations manager at our recent christmas party)
It means i would have to do it in america, and they would choose the dominant charity, tho the british legion would still get some.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Wow Mark, this could be a go then :eek:

At least America is probably the best place to do it in without all the congestion and crappy roads. Hope things pan out for you :D

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Fingers crossed, once the main bit is paid for, others should come on board. (Especially triumph if i do do it on PIG)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Use Nick Sander's trick...He went to virgin and said he had a bike from Yamaha and asked then to fly it across the world. He then went back to Yamaha and said virgin would fly him over and could Yamaha supply a bike....... :)

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Ha ha cheers phil ill bear it in mind.
One for all you people who've ridden in the U.S, what sort of avg riding speed can you expect, and get away with?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>One for all you people who've ridden in the U.S, what sort of avg riding speed can you expect, and get away with?
An interloper in the discussion...hope you don't mind.

The answer is 'depends on where you're at'. Interstate highways (much like your M routes...) have posted speeds in the western part of Texas at 85 MPH.

I've done a SS1000 in under 15 hours; routine times can be in the 16-20 hour timeframe - again, depends on where the ride is mapped out. Ask @Greg Rice as I'm sure he's got a lot of data collected on the multitudes of rides he's accomplished.

Funny story: My manager saw my IBA calendar in my cubicle earlier this week. He thought that 10/10's ride (the subject of the April page of the calendar...) was insane. @Sneezy - you'll take that to another level! :D

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Cheers ken, any info is greatly received. One ride ill be hoping to do, is key west to alaska, and a coast to coast, once or twice lol, the logistics of servicing and tyre change, (would combine them) is going to be one of the big issues i believe.
And obviously the squidgy bit on the bike is the biggest issue, can the squidgy biped riding it, cope with the punishment. (But if you dont try you dont know.

I see you have some rides planned already sneezy buy 100 is a big ask. Here's an idea, reach out to IBA US to see if you can ride other iba members verified saddlesores, after all we all remember those routes we took in detail. You'd have reference times for each, and being preverified all you'd have to do is pick up the receipts on way showing you stuck to route. Even if you get 50 say it'd take some pressure off. Just an idea

Be lucky...

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...> One ride ill be hoping to do, is key west to alaska, and a coast to coast, once or twice lol <...>
With an average of ~900 miles daily over the 110 days, once would think our little playground here (~40x larger than the UK) might be potentially a good location to attempt such a ride.

<...>the logistics of servicing and tyre change, (would combine them) is going to be one of the big issues i believe.
I'd agree. You'll obviously have some idea that roughly every two weeks, you're going to need to be someplace that can handle that effort. Either scout out a handful of locations for the bike manufacturer you chose and contact them (I'm probably telling you things you've already considered...) well in advance.

And obviously the squidgy bit on the bike is the biggest issue, can the squidgy biped riding it, cope with the punishment. (But if you dont try you dont know.
Hehehehe. THAT is what makes this a sport! :D

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
You will need to have lots of contingency built in to any ride that involves crossing the border. In my experience, getting through in under an hour is very much the exception; choose the wrong crossing, and be there at the wrong time of day, and it can easily be two hours or more.

Regards,
Martin

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Cheers martin. I suppose one of the advantages of this challenge, is plenty of time to make up for any time delays lol, but best not get complacent.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Hi Sneezy,

I've been giving this a little thought. There's an IBA ride which could be used as part of this, the 48-10. The requirement is to visit all 48 lower states in under 10 days; this can be done in a little under 8,000 miles. I'm sure you could come up with a route which makes it a loop, and extends it to 10,000 miles. Find a number of people willing to ride the loop, and have servicing/tyre changing pre-arranged for the day after each loop finishes.

There's been an article on this ride in one of the recent Iron Butt magazines; while it takes quite a lot of planning, and weather can be a bit of a challenge, just doing the 48-10 is not too bad, since the daily average is 'only' around 800 miles. If you offer people the opportunity to tick off one of the IBA's big rides, you may get more takers.

Regards,
Martin

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Cheers martin, yes ive been looking at the u.s rides, so many choices, if i get to do this challenge, i intend to have a go at a few of them, (i have a fewdays riding to play around with lol

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ha ha cheers phil ill bear it in mind.
One for all you people who've ridden in the U.S, what sort of avg riding speed can you expect, and get away with?
As in UK really the limits are lower generally in the east than the west. But they seem to go farther over the speed limit. So 80 mph normal on freeways generally.
The big plus is the lack of traffic particularly west of the Mississippi to the Rockies.if you travel at 80 mph you will do 240 miles every 3 hours like clockwork. Wither that's sustainable over a long period is another thing.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Well, having just rode the rblr 1000, in over 22 hours, this project has been shelved, well, downsized lol.
I do believe this is possible, but not by me.
Had fun trying to organise it, but time to hang this up.