2016-02-27 Verdun, France

orestesdjc

Premier Member
100 years ago, tomorrow, , the battle of Verdun Ridge started. Over the next 10 months 300,000 French and German soldiers died as a result of 32 million shells, Douaumont and eight other villages were obliterated, never to be rebuilt, the gains maybe equalled a few hundred metres . I think I'll leave a little earlier on Saturday to pay my respects.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
100 years ago, tomorrow, , the battle of Verdun Ridge started. Over the next 10 months 300,000 French and German soldiers died as a result of 32 million shells, Douaumont and eight other villages were obliterated, never to be rebuilt, the gains maybe equalled a few hundred metres . I think I'll leave a little earlier on Saturday to pay my respects.
Davids I just read that earlier this week so you now ruined my welcome speech LOL:D

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dinner fixed I booked for 25-28 people on the Poivre Rouge all at 1 big table at 19.00...that's a 3 minute walk from the hotel....the China man had some decent and some bad reviews this 1 better be good!All sorted

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looks like there will be a major traffic jam in Verdun on Saturday afternoon..............................................

Flipje

Europe wide traveler
IBA Member
Hi everybody, pls count me in; perhaps I may convince a fellow IBA to stop skiing and get to Verdun.
I'll let you know.
Will be good to see you all.

Flipje

Europe wide traveler
IBA Member
Bah the snow is not good this year the winter is too warm, you can count him in too, his name is Pascal Bourdon IBA member certified by IBA Germany,
he is driving some very common German brand and bike ... forgot the name; our hotel rooms are booked.
We'll meet Saturday at 8 AM @ La Vue des Alpes restaurant under Chaux de Fonds and take the back roads to Verdun. Hope it won't be too icy and snowy to go over the Jura and Voges by that time of the day.
For those interested, I understood from the receptionist whilst reserving our rooms, that the hotel is daily closed between 11am till 5 pm, just in case somebody tries to check in between these hours.
petit déjeuner from 7h30 onwards, so we can sleep in on Sunday .....
We're gonna be a hell of a number perhaps we should start winter RTEs around Europe! The Fins will find this very funny.
CU later

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think is possible to check in by card in a machine when reception is closed like in Formula 1 motels.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Who are stopping Friday night in Calais? We know a very good place to eat it's just round the corner if enough interest I could try and book it for 8ish?