2016 fjr?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I've been narrowing down my search for a replacement for my voyager, I was leaning towards a concourse, just because the Kawasaki dealership is just a few miles away from my house and the owner is a friend, but I was looking at the bmw gs1200, but the price is to much and the dealer is either in Indy or Chicago, and both are a couple hrs away, so then I got a magazine in the mail and seen the new fjr es, I guess my question would be, what is the cost to own this bike as far as maintenance, I've never owned a sport tourer, so how many miles would I get out of the tires and things like that.

Ignacio

IBR Finisher
LD Riders tend to be a value-oriented bunch and it's probably not coincidence that the 2013 IBR had so many FJRs in the Top 10. They're very economical to own relative to many other bikes. Tire mileage isn't an FJR specific question and it's going to vary mostly on the habits of your right wrist.

I had a 2014 ES that I loved and was even a better value than my older FJR given the suspension was actually up-to-the-task for big guys with fuel cells, but didn't get to the point I actually had to refresh the shock (or the forks)...I had to write-off what was becoming my best bike ever after an unfortunate sheep encounter. My assumption was an after-market suspension shop would have been able to refresh the higher-end shock with reasonable price parts.

The only big expense I ever had to do for FJRs is the valve "check" at 26K increments (2-3 shop hours each) and after my Gen 1 was spot on at the 26, 52, and 78K mark...I didn't even check anymore and it's still happy at 170K....although starting to be down a bit on compression in one of the cylinders. A few FJRs do need valves adjusted and that would cost significantly more (but usually just once).

I imagine a 2016 will be the same or better.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I've been doing a lot of reading and watching FJR videos on YouTube and it's got the best value in that category, with the fuel tank it has on it I don't think I'd need a aux tank, I read that they are changing it in either '19 or '20, I have a friend that has one and he loves it, so it's at the top of my list, thanks.

TripperMike

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have never owned either the BMW nor the Connie so cannot speak first hand about them. But with 213K on my '05 FJR and no major issues with it, I can't complain none about my choice of ride.

Tep_52

Premier Member
Just sold my 2014 Connie last summer due to the wife's hatred of the back seat.during my ownership my only complaint was no cruise control there by making speed control an issue. If you have self control and can find a situation like I was just in you can pick up one for about half price with low miles Screenshot_2015-06-29-17-35-03.png-1.jpg

Alex

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'll be riding the IRB in 2017 and am thinking about a change. I have a very nicely set up gen 2 (a 2009). I've been wondering if, should I get a non-ES gen 3, the Ohlins shock, aftermarket triple-clamp, Russell Day-Long saddle and Tag-a-Long fuel cell will swap over to the gen 3. As far as I can tell, the frame is pretty much unchanged. Has anyone tried any of these? I'm especially interested in the rear suspension issue.

I have Race-Tech cartridge emulators in the fork tubes... wonder if they're a straight swap too...

TripperMike

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'll be riding the IRB in 2017 and am thinking about a change. I have a very nicely set up gen 2 (a 2009). I've been wondering if, should I get a non-ES gen 3, the Ohlins shock, aftermarket triple-clamp, Russell Day-Long saddle and Tag-a-Long fuel cell will swap over to the gen 3. As far as I can tell, the frame is pretty much unchanged. Has anyone tried any of these? I'm especially interested in the rear suspension issue.

I have Race-Tech cartridge emulators in the fork tubes... wonder if they're a straight swap too...
Your RDL will swap over without problems and I am pretty sure your fuel cell will as well. I could be mistaken but I don't think your Ohlins will. I took my Penske off of my '05 with the understanding that it will fit on my newly acquired '15, whereas it would not have fit on a Gen II. As for the other items you mentioned I don't know enough to say one way or the other. I am sure someone may speak up here with answers or you could search the vast amount of information on another forum specific to the FJR.

I've been narrowing down my search for a replacement for my voyager, I was leaning towards a concourse, just because the Kawasaki dealership is just a few miles away from my house and the owner is a friend, but I was looking at the bmw gs1200, but the price is to much and the dealer is either in Indy or Chicago, and both are a couple hrs away, so then I got a magazine in the mail and seen the new fjr es, I guess my question would be, what is the cost to own this bike as far as maintenance, I've never owned a sport tourer, so how many miles would I get out of the tires and things like that.
Within the last few years tire manufactures have taken a serious look at tread life on SPORTouring tires. Avon has two tyres that have a 15,000 mile warranty, Dunlop has it's RoadSmart III's that they claim will do 12,000 miles, Michelin PR4 GT'S have done well, and were on many of the bikes during the 2017 IBR. But for touring, you might want to pick from the Dual Sport segment as there is a good selection of tires from Avon, Continental, Meteler, and Pirelli, some with a tread designation of 90/10 (90% street/10% off road) to as high as 60/40, all in the sportouring sizes.

I had a 2004 FJR - Gen 1. I called it "The Furnace" because the heat from the engine was all but unbearable in the summer months.
That said, I've read that Yamaha has made some improvements with the engine heat issue. The FJR is basically a rocket with a seat on it - it will flat get down the road.
Never rode a Concours,14 but one of my friends had one - he loved it - but that's him!

I have 190k on my BMW R1150RT - one of the most comfortable and reliable motorcycles I've ever owned. Had one issue - a stick coil on the left cylinder gave out at around 57,000 miles. Other than that, just maintenance (tires, battery, fluid changes, etc.)
I looked around and found a 2007 Honda ST1300 with low miles - love it!! Great riding position, 7.7gal tank, electric windshield, etc. It's got all the jazz an FJR has so an ST1300 might be a consideration.

You'll find all kinds of opinions about motorcycles from folks. I could tell you horror stories about a number of makes and models, including an FJR. My suggestion is continue your research, ride some motorcycles, weigh all the options and buy what YOU like, not what someone else likes.

Mike

just passed 150000 miles on an 06 fjr had it from new no issues, doesn't burn oil never need a valve gap adjusting and runs like it did when it left the showroom. hmmm hard to think of what not to like. test road the new six speeder its a bit better than mine but not streets ahead, 11 years on you'd expect some tweaks

sector7g

Premier Member
For what it's worth, I've not yet head the bike a year yet (under 11 months, 2017 FJR ES purchased new). Mileage is over 17k. Service has been recommended only (intervals at every 4k miles after initial 600 mile break-in), and 1 tire change (front/rear) at 12k. The bike is currently in the shop for the more extensive 16k mile service, which includes repacking the swing arm bearings, spark plug change (every 8k miles) and I'm having the throttle body synced ~ while they're in there. I work a full time job plus have some side gigs as well, so I have the dealer work on the bike from time to time on the more extensive areas.
The bike overall is somewhat easy to work on, though more advanced jobs requiring extra time to pull off the tupperware. But all in all, I've had no issues with anything outside of recommended service intervals.

Is the 6th Gear worth it?
I have a line on a 2015 FJR at a good price, 19k miles. I previously had a 2005 FJR and sometimes found myself trying to shift up when I was already in 5th. Is there enough difference in the 2016 FJR update to justify buying a 2016 or later instead of the used 2015?
Thanks for your input.

sector7g

Premier Member
Is the 6th Gear worth it?
I have a line on a 2015 FJR at a good price, 19k miles. I previously had a 2005 FJR and sometimes found myself trying to shift up when I was already in 5th. Is there enough difference in the 2016 FJR update to justify buying a 2016 or later instead of the used 2015?
Thanks for your input.
For the most part, only the rider can really answer that. I’ve heard probably 50% are for and the other 50% think it’s overkill. Revzilla did a decent write up https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2016-yamaha-fjr-1300-first-ride-motorcycle-review, so once you take in your riding preferences, you’ll have your answer. Personally, I’d be thinking about the LED headlights on the 16/17/18’s

Bill Lumberg

Premier Member
A thread resurrection, to be sure, but I came from a 2014 that I put 84,000 miles on, to include a number of SS1Ks and a BBG, and switched to a 2018 FJR. The LED lighting is a night and day difference, no pun intended. Not just whiter but brighter and lights further. As for gearing, the 14 ran 4500 rpm at 85mph indicated. The 18 runs 4000 rpm at 85mph. The electronic suspension is superb.

Rusjel

Premier Member
I've always liked them, even though I just bought a Connie, albeit a second hand one.

Another factor I reckon worth considering if you are Jappa inclined, Yamaha are the one maker who have stayed in this part of the Sports Tourer market and made updates to their contender. If we want an ongoing reasonably priced alternative to BMW they might be worth supporting.

I've been a BMW rider for many years; my last one was a 2014 R1200RT-LC, it had many fine features, but at the 24K service I was hit with a $1,100.00 bill. So I bought a 24K service and a set of tires, and I did the oil service myself with Amsoil. At the 36K service, I was hit with a bill a nickel less than $1,000.00 for the 36K service, brake flush, and a bike wash. BYE BYE BMW Hello Yamaha FJR. It rides better it handles sweetly at very low speeds and is more stable at high speeds than the Beemer, and way cheaper to maintain!.

brady

Premier Member
I love my FJR. For me it is the best of both worlds. It cruises through the miles without effort but its also able to be sport focused if desired. Ive been working this winter to get it really set up for LD riding. RDL Seat, Aux Lights. wired for heat, highway pegs, getting bar risers soon. Cant wait to see what this bike can do now.