2016 IBA Australia Memorial Rides

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Hi folks!
The Memorial Rides are imminent!
For most of us it’s only a week away. For some it’s a matter of days!

Numbers are good again this year
Attending Wilmington and the Plaque ceremony – approx 20+
Others just turning up on the day ... ??
Others riding in their own area – 3, 4, ?
Riders registered with RideMaster - 13

Several of us are at Wilmington on the Friday night, and there will be rooms still available.
Saturday night I believe is close to full, if not booked out already (I know of one cancellation... so be quick!)

Remember that all the links are on the first post in this thread, including the one for submission of your ride once completed.

If you wish to share your SPOT Link please feel free to post it here on this thread.
All the info is then in one place.

The formal gathering is at the front of the Wilmington Hotel from 12.00pm Saturday 10th.
Then it’s on to the Memorial Plaque as a group to be there at 2.00pm for the short service.

From there your time is your own. Lots of good riding in the area.
Dinner at the Hotel from 6.00pm. Drinks start much earlier!

It’s a good time during your Memorial SS1600 or other, or just travelling to the weekend in your own time, to take time to reflect on why it is we do what we do, and to remember our fellow riders who have been injured or who passed away doing what they love to do.
Be grateful that we can continue to enjoy our passion for safe long distance riding.

Good riding everyone and safe arrivals at your destination.
Have fun and see you there!

Tele

Premier Member
They tell me that a few of the guys already booked in have left a note that they are happy to share rooms if the bookings get tight.

Just a general warning fellas ....... someone might get saddled with my company. :rolleyes:
Who would have thought ..... a Memorial Weekend Slumber Party :D:eek:

Reader57

I have two plans for next Friday/Saturday! One does a loop east and back to Swan Hill and one does a loop west. From Swan Hill I finish at Kwakatoa central. The weather will decide which one I do.

Have a great time in Wilmington. I will be solving the puzzles on the bar at Silverton.

Tele

Premier Member
A quick question if someone has this information readily available (I can make calls but I'd thought I would be lazy).
I am riding an SS1600 to get from Newcastle to Wilmington. It's a nice 1660klm from home without any major detour.
After transiting through Renmark (SA), I plan to follow the Sturt Highway and take a right turn onto the Goyder Highway and trek up through Morgan, Burra and Jamestown into Wilmington. The Renmark-Wilmington leg is around 360ks which is well within my fuel range, but I want a docket along that route to show that I went that way. Maybe even a fuel stop around Burra just to top up the tank.

Can any kind soul recommend a suitable fuel stop on that Renmark-Wilmington route that may be 24hr?. I'm not yet sure on travel times based on when I can get away from work. Thanks in advance.

myeeme

Hi Tele

I think you would be lucky to find any 24 petrol along that route except maybe Berri. I know Burra is not and that's one of the bigger towns.. Suggest you google petrol outlets and you might find one but I doubt it. Even if google says there is - I suggest ring the outlet and double check.

Good luck - see you there.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Tele I would agree with Malcolm, but the Berri option does not fit your criteria re the route.
Another option would be Clare BP24. And possibly the Caltex? (listed as 24hr, not checked)
That requires a detour of about 30-35km and additional 20-30min whichever way you tackle it.
That's the only 24hr option along that corridor that I know.
I did that route planning for the H to H attempt, and just added carried fuel at Burra.
What time are you coming through from Renmark?

Tele

Premier Member
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your kind comments. Thanks for the phone call Ox. Above and beyond as always.
The BP fuel locator did nominate Clare as a 24hr option but I was hoping not to divert that way unless necessary.

And yes, I guess a Spot track would suffice, but having done several IBA rides prior to using a Spot, I am 'ingrained' with the thought that I need to have electronic proof of my route. And given there are several ways between Renmark and Wilmington, I wanted a receipt to take away any guess work. Just to be safe, I will carry a 5ltr jerry and grab an ATM receipt on the way. I have had a few hit\miss issues with Spot and I want to be sure the IBA are satisfied with my documentation.

As for the time of transit, not too sure at the moment. Working on a $3m project at work which has to be prepared this week for presentation to the Directors for approval. Meetings during the week plus a nightshift as well. Hopefully on the road around 01:00 Friday to get me into Wilmington mid evening.

Daisy

Premier Member
And yes, I guess a Spot track would suffice, but having done several IBA rides prior to using a Spot, I am 'ingrained' with the thought that I need to have electronic proof of my route. And given there are several ways between Renmark and Wilmington, I wanted a receipt to take away any guess work. Just to be safe, I will carry a 5ltr jerry and grab an ATM receipt on the way. I have had a few hit\miss issues with Spot and I want to be sure the IBA are satisfied with my documentation.
I just work out if the shortest route between two points is enough to make the 1600 viable and then it doesn't matter if you go that way or not. Unless you particularly want credit for the extra kilometres if you take a longer one.
Why? My 2010 Wilmington ride is still sitting here because it came in at just under 1610km. We got lost between Nuriootpa and a planned corner docket at Gawler and didn't get another until Clare. There wasn't enough meat in the plan to cover that "shortcut". (Although, the Spot track shows us going bush and makes the distance 1631)

tj189

Premier Member
Just a question. If you are riding Renmark to Wilmington, why do you need a receipt? Wouldn't a Spot track suffice?
Data from satellite tracking may be used as additional documentation, "If you choose a circular route, you will need to obtain a dated receipt at each "corner" to show that you did not take a short- cut. " Ride rules still require dated receipts.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tele if you're arriving in Wilmington mid-evening, you may be able to get fuel AND docket from Burra anyway, so no change of route.

Google Maps says 357km. How far does that Intergalactic Marvel get on a tank?

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The list:

Nico - Wilmington. Booked @ Hotel.
Bazz and Liz - room booked.
Rusjel - room booked hotel
Jeffrey (jeffthechef IBA # 57842 FR # 818)- Room Booked
Gatey... no room booked yet. EDIT... room booked for three on Saturday night. TK is most likely in and perhaps Cape?
Kimmie - room booked for Sat night (with a note "female" in case another female requires to share)
Daisy and Reg - room booked
Skidoo & ? Hagar - room booked, advised stocks or red being replenished
Kiwimartin - nothing organised other than a plan to be there
Tele - same as Kiwimartin. Want to be there just need to organise the leave
Marls and Ron - Route planned, room booked.
Gags99 - Planning, room booked.
Zed14 - room booked
Roadbandit - room booked.
I was informed this morning. these two riding misfits will attend. They were there on the Friday of last years event.
Chris FR #221 Room booked
David FR #377 Room booked.
Myeeme. Plan to be there for memorial - details otherwise yet to be sorted.
OX-34. No room needed - have to be home in Newcastle for breakfast.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
A quick question if someone has this information readily available (I can make calls but I'd thought I would be lazy).
I am riding an SS1600 to get from Newcastle to Wilmington. It's a nice 1660klm from home without any major detour.
After transiting through Renmark (SA), I plan to follow the Sturt Highway and take a right turn onto the Goyder Highway and trek up through Morgan, Burra and Jamestown into Wilmington. The Renmark-Wilmington leg is around 360ks which is well within my fuel range, but I want a docket along that route to show that I went that way. Maybe even a fuel stop around Burra just to top up the tank.

In the past TonyK, Cape and I have used most of the renmark leg but poped out at Port Pirie having fueled and watered at Renmark. Each of these trips has seen us in that leg after dark and for the life of me I cant think of a fuel stop open. However you could pull an ATM docket from Bank SA 10 Market st Burra. Sort of diagonally across from the Post Office in South Burrs.

Reader57

Renmark to Wilmington via Burra has no corners and is the shortest route, hence my question. If you were going via Clare or Peterborough, I could understand the need for a receipt.