2017-06-02 Moscow

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Fingerprints done and paperwork in for visa. Just one ommision which I corrected on their computers helped by a friendly young lady. £4.50 for prints of new form. Parked outside on the fazer.
Riding in surrounded by 2 wheel maniacs in the rush hour was good practice for Moscow I reckon.
Moscow can't be worse than the Paris periphique or Italian cities where drivers have NO concept of lane discipline.
I drove for 7 years in Kuwait so driving standards around the world hold no surprises for me now.
I use the system of traveling slightly faster than the masses then there is only the need to concentrate on what is in front!!!!

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I went to Moscow at the weekend, you will all love it but it is very small.

Why do I find it so hard to stick a photo on this Forum!

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Cos there's something wrong with your photobox settings.
Have you shared that image in photobox and obtained a public URL for it? The one you used here is a private internal (to photobox) one.

UPDATE: just checked out photobox and it doesn't do sharing at all. Upload the image to photobucket instead

Last edited:
The driving standards we have to look forward to. I propose a practice session on the Brussels ring road.

Why travel all the way to Brussels with so many Eastern Europeans over here any large city at rush hour in this country would do. (and no I'm not anti immigrant, its just that the driving standards of this country have become more continental in the last couple of years.)

Mikehi

I wonder if Vodka is the additional element to contend with in Russia that may not be as evident in Brussels, Bristol or Birmingham

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think we should avoid drinking vodka until we reach the hotel Mike. My Camelbak will contain only water.

Flipje

Europe wide traveler
IBA Member
Just bought CHF500 in rubbles!
Weather looking fine for our picture http://www.accuweather.com/fr/ru/moscow/294021/daily-weather-forecast/294021?day=21
Bike in service (new tires, put on the additonal gaz tank from the KTM) will take the Yamaha 1900 for this one, looks more comfortable and so you guys will recognise me..! Will keep the leg cover and the heating hobbit gloves.
Anybody knows how much the bike insurance for a couple of days will cost at the border?

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I found this........

DELETED as out of date. Insurance green card needed before entering Russia.

Last edited:

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Hrmph. That site's information is from 1990's, not valid anymore. Like Robert told, no insurances sold at borders anymore so get documents before the trip. Also there is no such "loophole" for russian citizens or temporary permits for vehicles anymore - ETA driving license is ok enough. You just need you car/bike registration documents plus proof of traffic insurance which is valid in Russia too - so called insurance Green Card or similar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Motor_Insurance_Card_System

Actually I have couple of times showed only international driving license in Russia - which alone is officially not enough - and no other questions asked, have a good day sir.

Most important point to have both international and original driver license there - if you have bad luck and meet official demanding to have some extra income immediately or pushing you to stay (go police station next day to solve the problem) - you can give them international license to keep and drive straight over the border with original one. In Russia, Police, Traffic Police and Border Guards are separate organisations. Which also means, if you happen to be stopped by local police for traffic penalty - overspeeding etc - they cannot give you fines but have to call traffic police patrol to do it. A foreign tourist, negotiation in such cases usually leads to solution - less work/waiting for patrol and just notice to you to be more careful next time.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm with Carol Nash and they will not do a green card. Anyone else find insurance for Russia in the UK yet?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I just called my insurer and was initially assured that "you're fully covered for Russia as part of your policy" but, after some small delay that changed to "you're not insured for Russia and we can't find anyone offering cover for Russia; get cover at the border".

I shall keep my eyes open in Latvia and arrange there if poss otherwise ask at the border - I'm sure it'll be fine.

Flipje

Europe wide traveler
IBA Member
My insaurance man has returned with news.
Not a single Swiss insurance company proposes any kind of cover for car or motorbike in Russia.
He knows of French insurance companies that cover Russia and this is specifically written on the Green International Insurance Card.
So I'll need to buy an insurance at the border, Russian side supposedly.
He also points out that I need to enquire whether this policy is only RC/Public liability (Responsabilité civile) or Casco (vehicule dammage) or theft. He strongly suggests to take out all possible coverages, because on one hand they shouldn't be too expensive and for a one off occasion worthwhile taking!
I'll try to arrive mid-day in Ludza, settle in the "hotel"and have a go at the border in the afternoon to see how things look.
Perhaps I allready could buy an insurance policy for the next three days!

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My tiger and Fazer were on the same Carol Nash policy.
Today I took the Fazer off and insured it with RAC for £116.16 and £99.99 for Europe wide recovery. The green card is £45 for 2 weeks in Russia. I made It longer in case I have any issues. It takes two weeks to get the green card so if your going down that route there is not long.
I'm in contact with an insurance man in russia thanks to our friend Sam Manicom and horizons unlimited. Mike Kneebone has put me in contact with the Russian IBA President who I also invited to meet us.
The bottom line is green card is best but it looks like it is possible to get insurance in Latvia with Balta Insurance . I should be able to confirm that later.
It is not available at the border.

All I have to do now is remove the tiger from Carol Nash.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Last edited:

Mikehi

I just tried RAC and they quoted me for bike insurance but could not find an underwriter to provide Green Card cover for Russia.
Phil, do you know which underwriter RAC are using for the bike insurance and green card they provided for you?

Has anyone pursued cover with BTA Latvia yet and clarified what they provide?

(I am also currently Carole Nash and they will not do Russia cover - same story from a couple of others I tried)