2017 Iron Butt Rally Opening of Registration

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
From Mike Kneebone:

Registration for drawing for the 2017 Iron Butt Rally opens February 1, 2016 and closes February 15, 2016:

http://www.ironbutt.com/2017ibr

Yes, that is right, 2017 - this is the big dog ride that easily will eat up every extra minute you have in the next 18 months!

Mike

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Decisions, decisions...decisions?!?!

I have decided not to apply for a spot in the "World's Toughest Motorcycle Rally" for 2017. Three times in a row is enough for me...right now.

Maybe I can help by volunteering to pass out swag packages or something.

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tim,
Sorry to hear. It was really great meeting you in IBR15. See you next month at Big Rays.
I'm throwing my hat in the ring again for 17. I have had this monkey on my back since last summer. I know I can ride harder and place better...

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tim, Should I be lucky enough to be drawn again, I will miss seeing you on the starting line. But, if I could string together finishes as good as yours, I doubt I would have signed up again either. Hopefully you'll be around, maybe at the scoring table?
Garry

TripperMike

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Back in the Spring of '06 I bought my bike after being away from it for 17 yrs while raisin' the young ones. A few months after the purchase I was sitting at my table reading an article in the Minneapolis Trib. about this group of motorcycle riders who enjoy riding their bikes REALLY long distances and an organization I have never heard of before....the IBA. I was astounded to read how these folks could (even relished) ride 1K/day. I mean WOW!

The article then went on about this motorcycle rally that covered 11 days where the participants would ride all over the country looking for bizarre items or places. Up until then, I figured it would take me 11 days just cross the country once, and even that would of been pushing it. But I thought to myself, holy moly wouldn't that be a hoot to give it a go. To be a part of a group, no, a fraternity really, that is single minded in their endeavor to skidaddle to all parts of the country in search of whatever. Kind of like letting loose a handful of marbles down a slope, where no two marbles take the identical path.

Since that Spring morning and 200K miles later, I've decided this is the year I apply. May the draw fall in my favor. :)

Of course I may look more like this :( if it does. lol

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
2 years ago, on a forum just like this, in nervous discussion about who might get a spot on the starting line, someone made the comment that if they got in or didn't get in, they might throw up either way it went. I think that is a common feeling.

Good luck to you Mike! (And to me too, of course).

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
But I thought to myself, holy moly wouldn't that be a hoot to give it a go. To be a part of a group, no, a fraternity really, that is single minded in their endeavor to skidaddle to all parts of the country in search of whatever. Kind of like letting loose a handful of marbles down a slope, where no two marbles take the identical path.

Since that Spring morning and 200K miles later, I've decided this is the year I apply. May the draw fall in my favor. :)

You can even skidaddle to all parts of Europe, if you so desire. Besides the regularly offered rallies in Germany, Sweden, and UK , the second European Tour (5 days all over the continent) takes place this 3-9 September. If anyone can swing it to come across the pond, it is a great rally.

Scott

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I too put in for it again but solo this time. Heck at my age I got to try while I can, you never know about four years down the road.
I have a quiet voice way back in my head that keeps asking, "How you going to stay awake by yourself?"
I think about it and find I have no good answer for that. Having someone to talk to really helps when the enthusiasm gets weak about day 7-8.
That old saying, "Careful what you ask for" keeps running through my head." :)o_Oo_O

Paul Slaton

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I too put in for it again but solo this time. Heck at my age I got to try while I can, you never know about four years down the road.
I have a quiet voice way back in my head that keeps asking, "How you going to stay awake by yourself?"
I think about it and find I have no good answer for that. Having someone to talk to really helps when the enthusiasm gets weak about day 7-8.
That old saying, "Careful what you ask for" keeps running through my head." :)o_Oo_O

Sorry Pat. You can't come if you don't bring Becky. You know that's the only reason they let you in before. Why they let me in is still a mystery.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You're probably right about Becky. She's pure energy and keeps me going. As the Ferrari team used to tell Fernando, who was her favorite driver, when he drove there, "push, push, push", which she has mentioned to me numerous times.

Paul Slaton

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You two are an especially great pair. She is very pleasant and a lot of fun. It was terrific to be around you all. That kind of good energy gets on all of us.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On the long rallies I miss the energy and conversation that keeps me awake. :eek:( Those 36 hour rallies are hard for me, even if fun.
When she gets squared away with a new job I look for her to start riding her own bike.
She wants to do the IBR by herself in the future. I hope I'll still be able to follow behind her at that time.
She has had enough experience on the back seat of routing and timing to be able to do it. She has done a few rallies with me every year since 2009 which was her first, the LOE at Los Lunas.
Team Lyle Alamo is a excellent warm up for any summer rallies. Gets your head right for the summer. You should try it one year. Becky and I have done it all four years.

Mike Riley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great to see so many friendly faces trying again in 17. I put my name in the hat, just waiting to see if I make the draw. I'm with Pat, no telling how many more years are in the tank. Besides, 3rd times a charm? If I can get in the top half of the field I would be happy!
Sure going to miss you Tim, it just seems right with you on the starting line. I know you'll find something to do to keep your hand in.
And Becky....no substitute for her enthusiasm! She will be back I know.
Now we all hold our breath to see who makes it to the line.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You can add your name to the volunteer list at

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/IBA_VolunteerSignup.cfm

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Hey Ira, the signup form is not working quite right. The State dropdown doesn't list states nor does it allow entry. I've tried Chrome and Edge where the form displays but has the error. In IE11 the form doesn't display at all. Neither does the 'already signed up list'.