2018 Atomic 1000 reminder

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
Who's excited about this? I am!

I'll be leaving Las Vegas Thursday night, April 5th for PHX. I'll work from the corporate office Friday, then leave early Sat. Morning for the site. Stick around a bit, take some pics, buy the souvenirs then ride back home to Las Vegas. Estimated mileage is 1,040 miles.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Now need to compute departure time...0300? That'd put me there ~1200 local time - remembering the time change from MST (AZ) to MDT (NM)!
Noon is a good arrival time. The majority of the long wait/drive to get in is earlier in the morning. Arriving at noon gives you time to take the bus to visit the other parts as well. Good catch on the time change as I didn't think about that when I did it last year.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ugh - I'm out. Prep work for a family wedding next weekend - thought I was going to be able to ditch that, but....nope.

Have fun - take photos where you can! Maybe October for me!

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Update from the San Antonio General Store (the only place with gas for miles around)... They will be open until 8 pm tonight and they will open at 7 am on Saturday. Fresh deli sandwiches, cold drinks, coffee, snacks, hand dipped ice cream and they make their own fudge.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Dr Tiki left Phx at 3 am, was at the Trinity site around noon, and as of 10 pm he was around Williams AZ on I-40 on his way back to Vegas tonight. He's had to battle high winds all day so he should have an interesting ride report to offer us.

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member

I'll write something over the next couple of days. I need get all my pictures together and I want to get it submitted right away. It was fun though.

Thank you Brian for coming up with it!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
That is awesome. I would love to do this ride. Did you end the Atomic 1K at the store closest to the site?
DrTiki's original plan was leaving from Phoenix (see post 22 in this thread), so Trinity would be about the half-way point. His Spotwalla trace shows a nice route was chosen - well done!

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
Ken is right, the Trinity site was basically my half way point. It does not leave allot of time for exploring but for me though, these quick visitation trips work very well. My girlfriend (Wife) has a bad back so she will never be able to ride the distance that we do.

So I look at it as quick scouting missions. I ride to places as basically an advance scout and determine if it would be worth our time visiting again in detail. We talk about it when I get home and we plan another trip in the 4-Wheel vehicle if we need to... somehow those trips never happen and we end up on a beach somewhere on our time off.