2018 Atomic 1000 reminder

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Bump...

I really wanted to do this Saturday...window of opportunity may close on me for this opportunity.

MarkG

Premier Member
I discovered how to beat Google Maps and their restricted roads. It will take three map links to keep everybody happy. Create the first route driving to the Stallion Range Center access. Look at the junction near north side of the Stallion AaF. Create the second route walking from the Stallion Range Center south to the Stallion AaF. Then create the third route driving the rest of the way to the Trinity Site. It will take three map links to keep the guys happy showing the route but it allows you to come up with the mileages. Why they can't let us do a theoretical route is beyond me, it's really annoying in the winter when the mountain passes are closed and you're trying to plan summer ride.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I know that David Hay is making the ride this year. Anyone else for sure? Looks like it might be chilly. I won't be there to greet anyone as I have to work this weekend, so best of luck to any making the attempt.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was there from 1155 to 1330ish, though not on a bike. There were several clusters of bikes - mostly local H-D riders and several loners. I saw only a single bike with any indication the rider was an IBA member - a BMW from MO. I did see a couple loners that parked, removed helmets, did a sprint to the obelisk to get a photo and then sprint back out. I was near the obelisk when they blew in and back out. Shame they didn't take time to get some info about the site. Then again, maybe they had already been there, as I have several times.

Hope those that made the ride had a good time.

MarkG

Premier Member
I did the run yesterday from Chandler AZ to the Trinity Site. Left at midnight and got there a little before 9am New Mexico time. Finished at 8:15pm after fooling around and taking the time to look at things. A nice day for a ride, low 50s after Tucson and I was comfortable with my heated gear. The temperatures eventually got into the mid 80s later in the day. Waited in line at the gate a little over 30 minutes then it was smooth sailing. Spent about two hours looking around, there was a lot of interesting information. Google maps doesn't like restricted roads. Change it to walking from highway 380 and it will do the route with no problem, go figure. https://goo.gl/maps/FAvZjvXYk4A2 You need to do two separate links, one driving to get there the other to the site and back to the highway. Mine showed 50.2 miles for Trinity and 977 miles to get there and back home. The total was 1027 adding the two map links and my GPS agreed. Looks like I left a little before Steve arrived, didn't meet any other IBA riders while I was there. Wearing a Mile Eater shirt and IBA ball cap I would have been easy to spot. On the way home I had the additional task of stopping at Apple Annie's Country Store in Willcox. The wife wanted a couple of half gallon bottles of Apple Cider. West of Benson I got off the Interstate and waited a half hour for the sun to go down. Cars and trucks were starting to weave all over the road and I was driving with one hand holding the other up to block the sun, not a good idea. Overall an easy ride without too much traffic.

Unless the riders Steve spotted were doing a Bun Burner Gold there is no reason to get in a hurry for a SaddleSore. Between the Trinity Site, the Country Store, and waiting for the sun to go down was around 3.5 hours. Had I not stopped my average speed would have been 62 mph. Instead of taking 16.75 hours it took me 20.25 hours, I averaged 50 mph for the day and had plenty of extra time. Learned a few things and had some nice conversations with other people.

Last edited:

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Exactly right. There's plenty of time to do a ride. That's kinda my point. Seems like a waste of time to go to any National Historic Site and not spend at least a little time to learn something. Photo of a friend at the obelisk attached.

SLA_9397 (Medium).jpg

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
With Mark, David Hay and John Garza added to the list (pending approvals) that means there are still three spots left to be the first ten to do this. As Mark indicated, it's not a difficult ride, you just need to make sure you have your timing correct or you'll be on the outside looking in. ;)

MarkG, I don't think we've met. I'm at Alma School and Riggs. Are you going to Dallas next week? I'll be leaving 3-4 am on the 17th.

MarkG

Premier Member
Brian, I'm near Chandler Blvd and Dobson. Leaving midnight on the 16th. Probably getting to Dallas around 7:30 CDT and meeting a friend for dinner. Really dislike daylight savings time it skews the planning. If I run into any gotchas along the way I'll post something to give you a heads up.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Dang. I'm glad you said that; I completely forgot about the time change. I might move it up to 2 am then, but I'm working all day and I'll need to grab some sleep when I get home from work on the 16th. I'll probably still nap somewhere along the way anyhow. I'll be on the dirty silver Wing with a PakIt Rak on the back end. Plate is LDRDR.