2019 Brit Butt Rally

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
It may be a source of amusement to some of you to learn that, whilst in the course of checking out some 2019 bonus locations, your Rallymaster has hit the deck and probably broken his collarbone. I say probably because I've done it before, I know what it feels like and I can't be bothered to spend a day in A&E waiting to be told what I already know, which is that there is nothing they can do about it.

The offending loose gravelly patch on a corner of a paved valley road induced a tank slapper which ended up with me sliding down the road on my right side. I was riding my Honda 125 step through at the time, so I was dressed, shall we say, less defensively: open face helmet, lightweight jacket, cordura trousers, hiking boots. The boots and cordura trousers (Stanley work trousers, 29.99 from Wickes) did a stirling job, not a scratch on me. The lightweight jacket did predictably less well, as my skinned elbow and shoulder can testify, and as for the open faced helmet! After my head hit the ground the visor pinged off and it was my cheek that was in contact with the tarmac as I slithered down the road.

So, there you have it, get offs on lightweight bikes still hurt, and open face helmets do exactly what that say, they leave your face open to being damaged. The final irony was that after I got up from the road I pulled my phone from my pocket, just to make sure that it was still working; a passing hiker saw me and shouted out 'no signal down here mate". I knew that.

Last edited:

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I suppose the best you can say is that it could be worse. I'm glad it isn't.

If you need any help with checking out and Southern locations just let me know.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Tank slapper on a125...:eek: Is a well done in order?;)

On a more serious note, hope your recovery goes well.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Never mind all that - how's the bike? ;-)

Yes, Lee - I was sure I wouldn't be the only one to twig that the rallybastard is out looking for locations where mobile phones are as much use as a chocolate teapot...

Regards,
Martin

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
There will always be locations where there isn't a signal. Not an issue though, at the next bonus where there is a signal, send both claims.

Bike screen broken, foot rest bent, few scratches here and there. No longer a 'concours de elegance' contender, but still quite usable.

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
There will always be locations where there isn't a signal. Not an issue though, at the next bonus where there is a signal, send both claims
I had this concern on my bbr rally where I found to my horror that the last two pictures I sent had in fact not gone out.
However later on at the Rally Hotel all was right with the world as in fact my pics turned up and had simply been waiting for a good signal to be sent.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Entries now starting to come . A letter will go out in the next couple of weeks to confirm the hotel and latest details.

Do I remember rightly that we don't need to keep any form of fuel log during the rally?

I guess I need to carry less pens and waterproof paperwork containers this year :D

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
34 riders have checked in and been given the 52 bonus locations. There are riders here from Germany Finland Holland Switzerland Poland and Australia.
There are 6 rookies in their 1st Brit Butt Rally.
After the pasta supper riders will be given the final details at 8pm to enable them to plan their routes and sleep before they leave at 5am tomorrow

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IMG_0362.jpg
Lee Edwards has found a friend at Carew Castle

IMG_2430.jpg
Sean Maher at Felixstowe

It's a simple task. Take a picture of the bonus locations to include yourself, motorcycle and flag number. These are good examples. Not everyone gets it right!!!!

Last edited: