2020 IBA Australia Memorial Rides & IBA Wilcannia Memorial Ceremony

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Shaping up to being NSW/ACT riders only. Hard to get my head around night curfews and soldiers in the streets.

I guess I'll be there if it goes ahead. Be nice to see a list of attendees if that's possible, and where people might be staying Friday and Saturday night.

I'm too far out of practice for an IBA run, so was planning two nights at Nyngan. Maybe. Perhaps.

Hard to know what to do with all the Covid stuff going on. Legally allowed to ride across the state of NSW versus morally wrong to do so? Stuffed if I know anymore.

Take care guys and gals. There appears to be some truth to the old saying that "There is no such thing as gravity. The earth sucks!"
Looking for sure there will be no interstate travel in September, (either enforced or voluntary) so have to agree it will be a NSW/ACT ride only.

Planning for a two day ride now, (out and back from the ACT), but of keeping an open mind on likely changes as events are changing daily in our brave new world.

kwaka

Premier Member
Trying and testing times to say the least.
Thanks for the effort all of you have all put in to make the Memorial Meet happen.
At this point, Liz and I are still planning to be at "The Rock" on the date at this stage.

Like you Mick, I can't get to Adelaide to see the tin lids and the five tin lids of their own. Am certainly not rich enough to afford ALL that time in quarantine!

FWIW. Last time I rode was for the Memorial Ride last year, day after the Dedication at Netallie Hill.
That was with pillion Liz and when a front fork seal went west. Ride still not submitted for verification (I'd like that to be done here in Oz by our own certification team), fork seal still not fixed (was to be done at Mildura M/Cycles along with brake and suspension work) and to top all that, Kwakatoa ran out of rego yesterday and, staying that way.

Why?
I'm struggling with hanging up the boots as my body ain't what is used and if I'm really honest, the "passion" I had just isn't there. Perhaps that'll be rekindled in the future when my life/work balance doesn't have work in the equation.

CV19 and 2020 will be a year to remember, not too fondly I imagine but if nothing else, we LD riders are resilient. Hopefully we'll come out of it better, stronger, we'll live, laugh, love and meet again.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
I'm struggling with hanging up the boots as my body ain't what is used and if I'm really honest, the "passion" I had just isn't there...
My roo hit down at Mansfield took its toll on me, both physically and mentally. It hurts to do the bigger days. It takes longer to recover. I'm cautious about dawn and dusk rides and sometimes wonder how in hell I ever got away with some of my past rides, including those long before I met Davo...
Well Kwaka and Mick - I'm right there with you both.
It's been a couple of years since I completed an IBA length ride. With illness, hospitalisations, chronic pain from my 'big one' 11 years ago, and two new knees nine months ago, it all seems a bit too far to go. I've lost my essential long distance fitness and probably won't seek to recover it.
I never say never, and may have one or two still in me, so we'll wait and see...
Fitness and health is one thing, motivation is another. With nothing to prove to myself, I enjoy my riding for different reasons and for different motives now, but still hang onto the social motivation of catching up with old riding buddies and like-minded riders at the gatherings.
So... see you soon all being well.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Its not over you old bastards.

This is that time when your years of LDR miles need to pay out for you three and me and Im sure a good few others.
ADJUST ADAPT AND FOLLOW THE PLAN.
Lifes lessons are about our life to this point. LDR and time in the helmet are now our strengths. Work with them.

Hells bells ive riden just today. My years total is now under 300k. Stop sooking.

Really just do not age yourselves.
Its not all about 1000 Miles a day.
But
This from one of my personal heros of LDR is shattering

"I've lost my essential long distance fitness and probably won't seek to recover it."

"Fitness and health is one thing, motivation is another. " (and I did warn management about this issue months back)

Then this line is what we all must remember and I thank you Nico for these words as this is perhaps the nub of our game.

" With nothing to prove to myself, I enjoy my riding for different reasons and for different motives now, but still hang onto the social motivation of catching up with old riding buddies and like-minded riders at the gatherings."

Thank you Mark.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Its for the reason posted by Bazz and Mick and Nico that the simplicity of the get-together ride must be grasped and worked with no matter the state or the number or the day. Its not about numbers.

Its most criticality that we stay connected and just ride to catch up no matter how short that trip may be.

If your in the place when you can still do a day trip then do it and see if you can catch up with another.
If we can pull of a day visit to some other LDR mate then we really must try harder to do just that.

GTRs are our salve. They had ever onyl ever been a simple catch up. So give it a go.

It could be just a few Ks down the road or at the extent of your day range. But we must do our best.

Read the last page in that Ralley Book.
Within that last page is held all wee need to make the most simple catch up the valuable, most cherish-able memory's and keeps our
interest.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Wow oh wow Mick did you read my post so wrong.

No undeserved serve ever intended. Why would you ever think I was giving you a serve?

Absolutely no intention to be negative towards you or any of the persons mentioned.
In fact the contrary.
I mentioned you and Bazz and Nico and Mel with the utmost respect. Old hands. Most treasured fellow LDRs.

The guts of my post regards the taking or every opportunity to just catch up whit whom ever we can when ever we can.

NSW is not me mate. Nor am I going near semantics.
My post is about "I'd rather attend a GTR and sip a beer .

Fuck me its just too stupid to be bothered. Christ what did I type thats so wrong?

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ill be making an effort to attend.

I hope Ill sort out in that ride time what I got so wrong.

Good evening and good by.