2021 IBR

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Cletha is guessing from the rally art that the theme this year is "Firsts". Art shows the Golden Spike locomotive, Wright Flyer, Space rocket launching, cell tower, telescope, bust of some guy I don't recognize with an Invert, etc. Seems pretty plausible to me that she's right.

Hopefully they won't need to pay a bunch of museum fees to get their bonus pictures... ;)

ibafran

Can't tell how I got the impression? But I suspect that this year's coverage is going to be some sort of team effort. And specific authorship might remain unknown. I very much like the coverage so far. And the bike pix have me rooting for the 300cc 2-smoke to do really well. It is the closest thing that I have seen to the traditional "Hopeless Class".

Sure, the Big Dogs with all the tech gizmos and savvy are impressive. But my heart goes out to 'hopeless' riders who are giving it their best to adhere to "riding impossible equipment to impossible places via impossible routes."

Who do I want to see win this thing if it isn't going to be a 'hopeless' rider? I am rooting for Wendy Crockett to crush it again. Back-to-back for as long as she cares to do it. GOOOOOO WENDY!

My other fantasies include some sort of 'adventure' class. The so-called adventure bikes that have come into vogue might be accommodated with big bonus points along some of the Backroads Discovery Routes? Several rallies ago, a Sportster rider had water crossings coming down the back way from the Bristlecone Pine Bonus and finishing 3rd! Makes me wonder how much rider talent remains to be assessed by the IBR? There are old 8mm movies from the 60's of riders doing really tough enduros 2up on Honda Dreams and finishing near the front.

fran

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
FYI - There are a few more photos at the photo link above now. I suspect that will continue to grow thru to the start and at/after each checkpoint.

ibafran

FYI - There are a few more photos at the photo link above now. I suspect that will continue to grow thru to the start and at/after each checkpoint.
Thanx. And awl y'awl better believe that I wished that (Super 305cc?)Hawk 250cc or 160cc Honda was entered. I stared at the pic for a long time and can't determine which model it is nor the year (66? 68?).
fran

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From the latest 'late report' - The theme of the rally is “Miles of Progress” and the intent is to find bonuses with historical significance in innovation and progress for the human condition.