2021 IBR

That's the Clayton Comet, Al Greenwood in MT. Had a flat tire in the middle of nowhere and sitting behind the 8 ball now. Time to giddy up.
A bunch of folks really extended themselves on the first leg. Surprising, given they were told the bonus points would probably be going up in the later legs. I'm hoping they all get back before the time bar.

Todd Lipps - I have a rally ready GSA with new shoes mounted. Located in Fond du Lac, WI. It is available to you. 920-602-0864. Could get it to you in about 2-3 hours.

4.5-5 hours to Carmel from southern WI.

Last edited:

Ed.

Premier Member
Spot lag aside, There appears to be a rider still heading south (SW) TO key west!? I've been watching them for the last few hours not quite believing what I was seeing.

Edit; Ah yes, as observed in rally day report 3.3.

Last edited:

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I couldn’t take peeks at the Spotwalla page for a number of hours yesterday; I hate it when work gets in the way of my fun. Did two riders go to the Keys or was it one? I saw a rider that was in the Ft Lauderdale area now traveling north, but I don’t know if he went to the Keys before I had a chance to see Spotwalla. Perhaps a bonus in Miami area?

Auburn

Premier Member
I couldn’t take peeks at the Spotwalla page for a number of hours yesterday; I hate it when work gets in the way of my fun. Did two riders go to the Keys or was it one? I saw a rider that was in the Ft Lauderdale area now traveling north, but I don’t know if he went to the Keys before I had a chance to see Spotwalla. Perhaps a bonus in Miami area?
2 riders went to Key West

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
1st leg scorecards are up. You can see some interesting patterns. Going to FL wasn't enough points to offset the medium points you could hoover up if you used that time for them, instead of hauling butt to the Keys. And trying to get the medium point bonuses AND go to the keys didn't work, DNFing the rider that tried that.

OTOH, the huge OR&WA bonuses together, along with hoovering up the medium bonuses did better than ignoring the OR/WA big bonuses and pushing hard out to Buffalo for the huge bonus there, but not by a lot.

Auburn

Premier Member
1st leg scorecards are up. You can see some interesting patterns. Going to FL wasn't enough points to offset the medium points you could hoover up if you used that time for them, instead of hauling butt to the Keys. And trying to get the medium point bonuses AND go to the keys didn't work, DNFing the rider that tried that.

OTOH, the huge OR&WA bonuses together, along with hoovering up the medium bonuses did better than ignoring the OR/WA big bonuses and pushing hard out to Buffalo for the huge bonus there, but not by a lot.
I saw that one of the people that went to Buffalo didn't get their bike in the picture and was denied the points. Another example of reading the rally package matters.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I saw that one of the people that went to Buffalo didn't get their bike in the picture and was denied the points. Another example of reading the rally package matters.
The bonus photo was almost certainly taken from the street. LINK I suspect he hung his flag on a street sign there.

I used to hang my flag on the bike for bonus photos. Saved me once when I forgot to re-read the bonus before leaving. Read it again at the next bonus and realized the bike had to be in the photo, but I was covered because of my habit of putting the bike in photos unless I had to walk in somewhere.

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I can only imagine the face of the rider when he was told by the scorer he was denied the points. Being denied 3400 points significantly impacted his Leg 1 placement.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I can only imagine the face of the rider when he was told by the scorer he was denied the points. Being denied 3400 points significantly impacted his Leg 1 placement.
He likely knew it already when he sat down at scoring. Been there, seen it. You claim everything, even when you know you're screwed. All they can do is deny it. I had a bonus receipt that got wet and was partially legible. I knew you couldn't read enough of the important bits, but it did show I had been there. I turned it in anyway, but knew I wouldn't get the points. I didn't, but they did give it an honest try, even using a magnafying glass to attempt to read it. The scorers want the riders to get the points, but they have a job to do.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I noticed just now that there is a rider at the Sleep Inn near Belleville, VA. They have been there for a while now. Hope they are ok. It's a little early to be taking a rest bonus on this leg. Several riders are hitting the bonus for the Air Park near Hampton and going on to Kill Devil Hills.

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
He likely knew it already when he sat down at scoring.
If the rider suspected he was not going to be awarded bonus points, then the sting of being denied the bonus was expected. That wasn’t my experience at the IBR scorer’s table. I was denied a bonus during scoring which was bagged perfectly per the rally book instructions. The scorer summoned Jeff Earls when I politely contested. Days prior during the o’dark thirty riders’ meeting in Kennewick, WA, Jeff announced two bonuses that were unreachable due to snow and were no longer in play. I was too bleary eyed to write down the bonus codes. I successfully bagged (so I thought) one of the “unreachable” bonuses. At the scorer’s table Jeff Earls, without hesitation, denied the bonus points because other riders may have eliminated the bonus from their planning due to his riders’ meeting comments. I can only imagine the look on my face when the scorer informed me I had been denied the bonus, and the subsequent look on my face when Jeff confirmed the bonus was denied.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I recall that happening, but didn't know you were one of the riders denied the closed bonuses. It can be difficult to write down those early morning meeting items and remember your plan has them in it and needs to be altered. Worse is when riders write the bonus code incorrectly on their claim sheet. James Owen had a large bonus denied because he mis-wrote the bonus code on the score sheet. You can't claim a bonus that doesn't exist, despite what you thought it was. Scorers hate doing that, but those are the rules.