2022 Iron Butt X Thousand Announced

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
While January 1, 2020, is still months away, it’s already apparent that the dawn of the new decade will bring lots of change to the Long Distance Community. In case you’ve been in some remote corner of the world, we will see the last iteration of both the Mason Dixon 20/20 AND Team Strange’s Butt Lite. For all of us, that’s a huge change and change is hard.

In particular, this will negatively impact many riders who plan to someday ride a successful Iron Butt Rally. As we’ve seen over the years, those riders who have the best chance of earning their three digit number are those who have honed their rally skills doing a multi-day rally. Eliminating two prominent events means far fewer experienced rallyists.

You may be aware that in 2010 the five day Iron Butt 5000 was held, leaving from Denver and finishing in Spartanburg, SC. And as any participant will tell you, anyone who thought it was a beginner rally was sadly mistaken. It was a challenging rally and brought forth some of our most excellent riders.

Iron Butt staff has been mulling this over for most of this year, looking at options and discussing. And this is where we are:

We are pleased to announce the return of the Iron Butt X Thousand.

The X Thousand? Or should it be X000? Either way, we’re leaving it open so it might be the 5000, 6000 or 7000. Maybe even 8000. We don’t know and neither does Paul Tong (IBR finisher and Rallymaster of super popular Heart of Texas Rally and one of the founding members of the NIITWIT - the Not in it to Win it folks). That’s right, we’re thrilled to announce that Paul has agreed to run this show and what a show it will be.

So it’s quite a ways off and we won’t announce specifics just yet but plan on mid-2022. Usual timing, we’ll have the drawing in 2021 along with all the details you’ll need. And yes, there will be No Draw spots for the 2023 IBR.

Mike and Lisa

Ira,
I am looking forward to it. You have touched upon a problem area. I became interested in long distance riding late in life. I am also self employed, live in the southwest; and because most of the significant rallies are far from the southwest; it is difficult to burn 2 days to get to, and 2 days to return from a rally, plus 1 day for rest before the rally, and add in the days scheduled for the rally. The result is that it may be many years ( and may be never) before I can accumulate the kind of resume that is now used as a filter for the IBR entry selection. I am sure that there are a significant number of serious riders who are similarly situated. Iron Butt X is a big step in the right direction.

Lisa

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Donald hi, just to clarify, there is no set geographic start or finish set for this rally. It could be anywhere. If I were you and anxious to get some multiday rally experience, I'd sure look at the 2020 Heart of Texas. That may be the rally located nearest you for who knows how long.

igurv

While January 1, 2020, is still months away, it’s already apparent that the dawn of the new decade will bring lots of change to the Long Distance Community. In case you’ve been in some remote corner of the world, we will see the last iteration of both the Mason Dixon 20/20 AND Team Strange’s Butt Lite. For all of us, that’s a huge change and change is hard.

In particular, this will negatively impact many riders who plan to someday ride a successful Iron Butt Rally. As we’ve seen over the years, those riders who have the best chance of earning their three digit number are those who have honed their rally skills doing a multi-day rally. Eliminating two prominent events means far fewer experienced rallyists.

You may be aware that in 2010 the five day Iron Butt 5000 was held, leaving from Denver and finishing in Spartanburg, SC. And as any participant will tell you, anyone who thought it was a beginner rally was sadly mistaken. It was a challenging rally and brought forth some of our most excellent riders.

Iron Butt staff has been mulling this over for most of this year, looking at options and discussing. And this is where we are:

We are pleased to announce the return of the Iron Butt X Thousand.

The X Thousand? Or should it be X000? Either way, we’re leaving it open so it might be the 5000, 6000 or 7000. Maybe even 8000. We don’t know and neither does Paul Tong (IBR finisher and Rallymaster of super popular Heart of Texas Rally and one of the founding members of the NIITWIT - the Not in it to Win it folks). That’s right, we’re thrilled to announce that Paul has agreed to run this show and what a show it will be.

So it’s quite a ways off and we won’t announce specifics just yet but plan on mid-2022. Usual timing, we’ll have the drawing in 2021 along with all the details you’ll need. And yes, there will be No Draw spots for the 2023 IBR.

Mike and Lisa
Anything planned rides for Canadian Riders?? We come out of hibernation in April and hang around till October.
Thanks

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
This is not a certificate ride. It is a competitive rally.

We directly sponsor almost no certificate rides, with the SS1K/BB1500/BBG rides associated with our Daytona Bike Week Party one of the few exceptions.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I’m trying to sign up for rides and membership as I am starting a month long coast to coast and more ride on Monday, May 24, 2021. The links don’t take me where I can buy or enroll in anything on the IB website. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I’m trying to sign up for rides and membership as I am starting a month long coast to coast and more ride on Monday, May 24, 2021. The links don’t take me where I can buy or enroll in anything on the IB website. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
The way to become an Iron Butt Association member is to complete and have certified one of our rides, the shortest of which is the Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours or less). The rules are at

https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/index.html

along with the rules for dozens of other IBA certificate rides.

Note that these are distinct from competitive rides such as the one described in this post.

As an aside, we do offer a coast-to-coast certificate ride. But the time limit is 50 hours, probably a little quicker than your plans call for. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Paul Tong

Heart of Texas Rally; LDX Rally
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greetings Riders:
I know you have been waiting for the official word about the much-anticipated summer event of 2022.
The LDX Rally
The Long-Distance X. What is X for? Since we do not like to nail ourselves down to any one set structure, it could be a 5-day event, 7-day, more, less, etc. Riders could anticipate riding 5k, 7k, or more or less miles. You get the gist. The event was previously named the ‘IBX’, but let’s be honest, it’s too much like ‘IBR’ and the Big Show will always be the pinnacle of LD riding.
The LDX will be held June 24-July 2, 2022. Friday June 24th will be the registration/check-in date and the actual rally itself will be Saturday June 25 – Saturday July 2, 2022. The start will be somewhere in the Mountain Time Zone (specifics to be revealed soon, and no, it’s not Provo, UT) and there will be one checkpoint located in one of the original 13 colonies. Depending on international regulations at that time, travel into Canada may be possible.
Registration will be facilitated through RideMaster. This will be a draw process for actual rally spots. Potential registrants will register on RideMaster (coming out this week) with a $50 registration fee. Anyone not drawn for a spot will receive a refund for their fee. Those drawn will have the $50 credited toward their rally fee of $900 (+$300 with pillion). Once the Ridemaster registration window is closed, all registrants will receive an email with further instructions on how to complete the process. The registration window will be short, so do not delay. If your name is drawn, you will be notified and rally payment will be requested.
There will be a minimum score required to be a finisher in the LDX. The top ten finishers of the LDX will receive no-draw entries into the 2023 Iron Butt Rally. Mike Kneebone and Lisa Landry have been incredibly supportive of the LDX’s efforts to pull this all together for next summer even though we are not an IBA event. We are extremely grateful for their constant wisdom and sage advice.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].
P. Tong
LDX

Attachments

Paul Tong

Heart of Texas Rally; LDX Rally
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
LDX Rally Registration: 1 week remaining
We are looking forward to an exciting and fun LDX Rally next June. The LDX Rally rider list WAS complete. Some registered riders’ plans have changed, so there are a few spots available. If you would like to register for the rally (June 24th - July 2nd, 2022), registration is available on Ridemaster (https://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=783). Registration will only be open for one more week, and you will need to pay in full with registration. Cost is $900, additional $300 for a pillion.
The finish, July 2nd, 2022, will be somewhere located along the east side of the Rocky Mountains. If you would like to attend the finish banquet, we will post registration for tickets to the finish on Ridemaster in a few weeks.
Thanks,
LDX Rally Team