2nd best riding gear?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I know aerostitch is the gear that the top ld riders use, but what are some other brands that are just as good, I'm having a hard time swallowing the $1000 plus price on a riding suit, I looked at klim, but have no idea what to even look at, I've been using tourmaster for a long time, would like to get something that's good in both summer and winter and something waterproof do have to carry a rain suit anymore.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Do yourself a favor and go for Aerostich gear the first time. A Darien jacket is well vented for the summer and warm in the winter with a good liner. If you get serious about this riding you will probably end up with this gear anyway. No rain suit needed, don't even own one. My Darien is 11 years old and looks awful but works great.
Aerostich Combat Touring boots are very good too. Stiff and hard to break in but once broken in are comfortable and offer a lot of protection for feet and ankles. Last year during the IBR, in the rain others have written about, I never got wet feet. Mine were purchased in 2003 and have been resoled three times. And still going strong.
All their gear is worth more than what it costs.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I do mostly commuting miles, like I said in my prefer post my back and forth to work miles are about 12k a yr and touring about 8k, I live in nw Indiana and still ride almost yr round, so you think I should just stick with the jacket and pants or go with the suit? I have 3 riding jackets a lot of other riding gear that I thought were good ideas and didn't work out, so that's why I'm afraid to pull the trigger on gear that I can't touch, so looks like if I decide to get one I'll make the journey to Duluth and check out the clearance rack:)

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I would disagree that aerostitch is the "top gear"

Many of us prefer the motorport kevlar gear.

Mine is 5+ years and over 100K miles in wear.

I live in Fl where the heat is, well FL f'ing hot and humid and I have been cool as a cucumber

I have also been in 15 degree weather in the TN mountains on the dragon with the rain liner and a gerbing jacket and was warm and toasty.

Besides sun fading the gear is in 100% like new condition. Sure I had a zipper replaced and a few of the zipper pulls replaced as well but that is to be expected with over 2000+ hours of wear.

For me the Motorport is the ONLY way to go.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I would disagree that aerostitch is the "top gear"

Many of us prefer the motorport kevlar gear.

Mine is 5+ years and over 100K miles in wear.

I live in Fl where the heat is, well FL f'ing hot and humid and I have been cool as a cucumber

I have also been in 15 degree weather in the TN mountains on the dragon with the rain liner and a gerbing jacket and was warm and toasty.

Besides sun fading the gear is in 100% like new condition. Sure I had a zipper replaced and a few of the zipper pulls replaced as well but that is to be expected with over 2000+ hours of wear.

For me the Motorport is the ONLY way to go.
I have had my tourmaster sonair for 4 yrs and have almost 60k miles on it, have replaced a zipper, the black is now Brown and the high viz isn't bright anymore, reflective material is gone, it's been a good jacket, so that's why I'm looking for something that will last longer, those are nice looking jackets also.

The name on the label is less important than the materials and construction.

If you want waterproof, then you really need three layer Gore-Tex construction. It will keep water out, and let vapor out better than anything else available right now, but it is expensive. Best known names are KLIM and Aerostich ... Both work, Aerostich is cheaper and maybe has better customer service. KLIM looks better.

Motoport stuff is expensive and favored by some ... you would have to research.

Below that stuff is a whole raft of very good manufacturers .... First Gear, Olympia Motorsports et al. For most riders what they offer would be more than good enough, but for an 11-Day ride where it might rain for 8 days ....

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
The name on the label is less important than the materials and construction.

If you want waterproof, then you really need three layer Gore-Tex construction. It will keep water out, and let vapor out better than anything else available right now, but it is expensive. Best known names are KLIM and Aerostich ... Both work, Aerostich is cheaper and maybe has better customer service. KLIM looks better.

Motoport stuff is expensive and favored by some ... you would have to research.

Below that stuff is a whole raft of very good manufacturers .... First Gear, Olympia Motorsports et al. For most riders what they offer would be more than good enough, but for an 11-Day ride where it might rain for 8 days ....
I like aerostitch's customer service, they answer the ph right away and are helpful, and they have military discount, the store is 8 hrs away and I can go try everything on, I agree about the suits being good on the bike, I'm going to stick with the jacket and pants, hoping to make it up there next Saturday.

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I really like First Gear as a brand. The D30 armor is the bomb. The TPG breathable waterproof-ness is also really good. Plus, the crash replacement guarantee was pretty nice when I had to use it a number of years ago. I'm built kind of squareish (5'8" and 250 with a 30" inseam) and First Gear fits (a little long in the sleeve and leg but, it's a decent fit for off the rack and the armor is adjustable so it lands on the joints even if you aren't 6'2" to 6'4" with a 34-38 inch inseam).

After the Butt Lite 7 I did the pilgrimage to Duluth with the money burning a hole in my pocket but Aerostitch just doesn't "fit" me. They were super nice and we spent almost an entire day there trying on every conceivable combination but, no joy. They're great if you're a rectangular build but squarish types, not so much. Yes, I was very, very sad. :(

As you've probably discovered there's a lot to consider when thinking about riding gear....

1 piece vs. 2 piece - I like two piece because I like to be able to shed my jacket for a longer stop without having to fully disrobe not to mention for the longer visits to restrooms.... (just sayin').

waterproof vs. liners - I like the whole thing to be waterproof without a liner because I don't want to stop to put on rain gear (yes, it is a little hotter but materials have also dramatically improved in breathability). I also want my pockets to be waterproof without a liner or over-suit. (Waterproof pockets is particularly important if that's where your cameras live).

jacket length on a 2 piece - I like a 3/4 jacket because I don't like rain dripping down my britches, some folks hate them because it's a lot of extra fabric.

number of pockets - I like two exterior chest pockets, and two hip pockets on my jacket bc it helps keep me organized. I also like having a couple of napoleon pockets on the interior. I really, really like having cargo pockets on the britches and being able to pass through the side pockets to one's under-suit britches.

vents - more vents means more opportunities for leaking but also more options when it gets hot

number of seasons - really there is nothing that will go from wicked cold to blazing hot all by itself so it's always a compromise and one has to think about what the weather is like for most of their riding

budget - wow, that one's tough - higher quality materials, better fit, higher technology protections - that's expensive no matter what the brand is.

One place to look for quality gear at more budget prices is motorcyclegear.com (used to be newenough.com back in the day - awesome customer service for years and years). You can buy new gear that's several years back on the version (because the manufacturers come out with a new version every year and discontinue their old stuff). It's especially good if the Aerostitch doesn't fit you.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I like aerostitch's customer service, they answer the ph right away and are helpful, and they have military discount, the store is 8 hrs away and I can go try everything on, I agree about the suits being good on the bike, I'm going to stick with the jacket and pants, hoping to make it up there next Saturday.
The ability to try the gear on is great especially when spending that much money. True you can usually return stuff purchased in the mail however I'd rather get it right the first time.

I prefer separate jacket and pants. During rallies one must often do some walking to get to a bonus location or to sit in a particular location for a few minutes for a group photo. Having the ability to remove the jacket in my mind is something I personally want to have. That is rather hard to do in a one piece suit.

[QUOTE="rodneyw71, post: 6097, member: 42" I looked at klim, but have no idea what to even look at, I've been using tourmaster for a long time, would like to get something that's good in both summer and winter and something waterproof do have to carry a rain suit anymore.[/QUOTE]

I too have been using tourmaster for a long time. Really liked the coat and pants except stopping by the roadside to add froggtoggs when it rained. I decided last fall to buy gortex. Expensive? Well, I've learned there is no such thing as a cheap tool. Getting the right gear is only expensive when you initially buy it. Once you experience its superior qualities, that pain goes away FAST. Since I wanted the guarantee of gortex, and not something that performs 'like' gortex, my choices were immediately limited. I took advantage of year-end close outs and model changes to get the gear I liked at prices I thought were reasonable. Yes, I paid more than I wanted, but the gear has performed so well that I honestly forget what I paid. My two choices were Aerostich or Klim. (I went with Klim, if that's important to you. The main reason is because I could try their product on at places before buying it.)

jsoque

Premier Member
During both my SS1000 and BB1500 I use Olympia Motosports. 2 piece X-Moto Jacket/Pants during my June 2014 ride, and, a 1 piece Odyssey Vented Tech Suit during this most recent July 2016 ride. During this summer's ride, the coldest was 68 degrees, humid, wet, and foggy, 4 rain showers before hitting my high point, the MOA Rally in Hamburg, NY with temps to about 90 degrees for the day and crashing into the mid 60's again at night. After a full range of weather and temperatures, I wouldn't use anything else. For the rainy ride I had in 2015, NY to Ann Arbor, 770 miles, ever try handle bar mitts? I'll tell you they saved my hands in 10 hours of riding in non-stop wind and rain.

Last edited:
I've been a big fan of Olympia Motorsports gear.

The problem is that it doesn't compare to Aerostich and KLIM, for sheer waterproofness. By the time you get to the top of the OM range, the stuff is expensive and you can get the better quality fabrics for not much more.

Jersey Boy

Steven R
Premier Member
I love my Aerostich one piece R3 Roadcrafter especially in warmer weather as it breathes really well through the GoreTex. When the weather turns cooler and wetter like the fall I usually swith to my trusty Firstgear Kilimanjaro and HT Overpants. Completely waterproof but they wear warmer than the 'Stich when it cool but not cold enough to add liners. I'll usually wear this combo during the Void rally in October. Both setups have their advantages but after years of experimenting with different gear, I have settled on these two combos as I really like them both.

I totally agree GoreTex fabric has no rivals when it's HEAVY raining: believe someone who spent many days under continuous showers. My personal motorbike experience suggests me DAINESE outfit, it could not be the cheap choice but on the long distance it's a winner.

Tep_52

Premier Member
I absolutely love my aerostich suit and since I found it gently used on ebay I only paid half price. The great thing about aerostich sizing if that if you know your Sunday suit size then you probably know your aerostich size. After two years with my roadcrafter I am ready to ride to deluth in the spring for a custom r3. Then I might sell my current roadcrafter to the next lucky person.