2nd gps or tablet?

Bellen

Premier Member
I was following Steve Diederich's epic 250CCCCCC recently on FaceBook. On several of his (awesome) video's I could see a tablet on the left side of his bars. This got me wondering.
I've been planning on buying a 2nd Garmin GPS as a back up, but could a tablet do the job? The tablet provides a much larger view screen for routing around incidents as needed and could definitely be used AS a GPS...but... for rallying, how would the GPX or other rally location data files get uploaded to the tablet? Also, in order for me to build a route on Basecamp, my Zumo 590 needs to be connected to my computer. (I'm a new user so maybe this isn't true). So how do I use Basecamp with a tablet?

On the iTunes/Apple website, it doesn't look like Basecamp is available for iPads.

So what are you guys doing? Are you able to use a tablet for back-up route planning?

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Basecamp is for MAC and PC so you are correct there.

I have an iPhone in a waterproof case and have been using Waze to route for short trips.

Often it will automatically re route me around traffic which is a plus and provide me with realistic ETAs.

As far as using basecamp with your Zumo plugged into your PC you need to get the maps installed on your PC and then you can leave the GPS on the bike till you are ready to upload your routes.

Once I started using my iPad, my Zumo 660 became the backup.... On the iPad I use CoPilot, This program can do your routing or you can use basecamp, convert it to CoPilot's file by using Route Converter, then upload it to the iPad using iExplorer.. Sounds like a bit of work but once you do it it's just a few clicks of the mouse and you're done... For me using CoPilot is far better than any GPS for what it does for directions and screen display....

Bellen

Premier Member
Thanks stexplorer, good stuff! I came across CoPilot recently in a RoadRunner magazine and thought I'd give it a try. More work ahead but this seems like it has potential for me
Paul, so I did some more research on Basecamp and Maps. My Basecamp only has 1 map on it, "Global Map", which is why my Zumo has to be connected to create routes. I cannot find a place where I can get a map for my pc. All the sights are talking about how to get a map onto the GPS, not how to get them into Basecamp so I can leave the Zumo on the bike.
And I don't take this lightly and I hate sounding like a beginner, but I guess I am.
I am, however, watching quite a few videos on Basecamp trying to figure out how to use the program.
Can you point me somewhere for a map for basecamp and NOT for my Zumo?

Clive Brown

Premier Member
I run a Samsung 8.4 tablet on my bars in a waterproof case when on a serious ride a bout. Needs to be powered as well or will run out of battery way before you want it to!
Use it mainly for weather radar , "MyRadar "app. Will be playing with the MyRoute app on the tablet as well over next few months. You can plan routes (on tablet or phone or laptop) and upload via USB to your gps in multiple types of files. No need if you just run app on the tablet! Also acts a tracking app.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
When you connect your Zumo to your PC use Garmin Express which will check you have the latest software and the latest maps. If you need new maps there is an advanced option when downloading to not only put the maps on the 590 but also to put them into Base Camp.

I run two 590lm's. I can share routes between them via bluetooth, as a back up enroute. The learning curve for one is the same for two, so it becomes automatic to find and use features on either. I use their Android app "smartphone link" for weather radar and traffic. (Small one-time fee.) It also has a feature to tell you what businesses are near you. (Handy when you looking for a meal close to your hotel.)
I have a dated Scala rider communicator that is tied through the Garmin for making phone calls. My contacts are displayed and searchable on whichever 590 I have linked. The alternate 590 provides routing directions while I am talking through the first unit.
This works for me, though I have to use my smartphone to make other types of web searches beyond weather and traffic data.
--Chelsea

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I run two 590lm's. I can share routes between them via bluetooth, as a back up enroute. The learning curve for one is the same for two, so it becomes automatic to find and use features on either. I use their Android app "smartphone link" for weather radar and traffic. (Small one-time fee.) It also has a feature to tell you what businesses are near you. (Handy when you looking for a meal close to your hotel.)
I have a dated Scala rider communicator that is tied through the Garmin for making phone calls. My contacts are displayed and searchable on whichever 590 I have linked. The alternate 590 provides routing directions while I am talking through the first unit.
This works for me, though I have to use my smartphone to make other types of web searches beyond weather and traffic data.
--Chelsea
Hi, I have just purchased my second 590LM I would be interested in more details of your set up. But I will likely also purchase the helmet interface communicator for my Schuberth helmet. Should be a good set up as well.

Hi, I have just purchased my second 590LM I would be interested in more details of your set up. But I will likely also purchase the helmet interface communicator for my Schuberth helmet. Should be a good set up as well.
Hello Sjef,
The set up is straightforward. The 590lm mounts are powered through a relay controlled by the ignition switch. When I shut down the bike there is no more current drain to the gps units. There are locking mechanisms available onb the web, but the retailers are pretty proud of them. When leaving the bike for a time, I pop the units off and stow or carry them.
As for connectivity, the order of Bluetooth linking is important, but once linked they generally stay linked. I turn off my cellphone Bluetooth, then use the 590lm to find and link the Cardo Scala. (It is my understanding that Shuberth uses the same communicator.) I then turn on the cellphone Bluetooth and pair with it. I repeat the process for the second 590lm.
It is a race condition as to which of the two units links first after a shutdown. But, the advantage is that when one of the 590 units drop out or freezes the other unit picks up the connections.
I set up my route on one unit and the send it via Bluetooth to its companion. Again, when one locks or drops out, the alternate has my routing.
I hope that this is the set-up detail you were requesting.
--Chelsea

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hello Sjef,
The set up is straightforward. The 590lm mounts are powered through a relay controlled by the ignition switch. When I shut down the bike there is no more current drain to the gps units. There are locking mechanisms available onb the web, but the retailers are pretty proud of them. When leaving the bike for a time, I pop the units off and stow or carry them.
As for connectivity, the order of Bluetooth linking is important, but once linked they generally stay linked. I turn off my cellphone Bluetooth, then use the 590lm to find and link the Cardo Scala. (It is my understanding that Shuberth uses the same communicator.) I then turn on the cellphone Bluetooth and pair with it. I repeat the process for the second 590lm.
It is a race condition as to which of the two units links first after a shutdown. But, the advantage is that when one of the 590 units drop out or freezes the other unit picks up the connections.
I set up my route on one unit and the send it via Bluetooth to its companion. Again, when one locks or drops out, the alternate has my routing.
I hope that this is the set-up detail you were requesting.
--Chelsea
Thanks, Appreciate your feedback. The mounting of the hardware is all good, no worries there. The Bluetooth (softlink) connectivity will be fun to work on. As soon as I get back home from work again I'll have to get in to it. Thanks.

I was following Steve Diederich's epic 250CCCCCC recently on FaceBook. On several of his (awesome) video's I could see a tablet on the left side of his bars. This got me wondering. I've been planning on buying a 2nd Garmin GPS as a back up, but could a tablet do the job? The tablet provides a much larger view screen for routing around incidents as needed and could definitely be used AS a GPS...but... for rallying, how would the GPX or other rally location data files get uploaded to the tablet? Also, in order for me to build a route on Basecamp, my Zumo 590 needs to be connected to my computer. (I'm a new user so maybe this isn't true). So how do I use Basecamp with a tablet?
So what are you guys doing? Are you able to use a tablet for back-up route planning?
Hey Bellen,
Thanks for the kind words. Just saw your message! :)

The tablet I'm using is an iPad, and it is not a full, GPX loadable, GPS solution for us LD riders ..yet. Being not-Windows & not-Mac, the iPad can't run Basecamp. It has lots of great uses though. As mentioned, its great for running Waze. Also, Apple and/or Google Maps in a pinch for manual rerouting. Weather Radar is great too - On the BIG screen. More and more apps are popping up to load GPX files and do routing, but none I've seen so far as good as a standalone GPS.

-Cheers, Steve

John Huval

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A question about Garmin 590LM routing.....

I've been running a 590 during the BMR rally. Often the unit will guide us down a road with low speed limits, lots of turns, and often in poor condition or unpaved. In fact, what Ive found is if the road starts off as paved and turns to gravel -- the unpaved road avoidance isn't going to help. This happens despite having an alternative state or county road in proximity that would be faster. The unpaved roads avoidance is active and the unit is set to car mode -- the unit has all the software updates and the most current maps.

Have any of you experienced these sort of routing issues with the 590?

We've been experimenting with Google Maps for overall route visualization and point-to-point routing and it works great -- when you have cell service. The routing is accurate and the recalculation times are quick, but when you are out of cell service you cannot start your route.

Hello John,
I have had that issue when I set it to "shortest route". I ended up in beautiful farmland behind a tractor pulling a swather blocking both lanes, at hour 22 of a B2B extreme. Setting the 590lm to "fastest route" seems to have solved that frustration.
There have been instances where the 590 locked up. It happens when I am following a long trip from Trip Planner, and add an interim destination on the fly. I have a blank sd card installed, but it doesn't seem to matter. When the unit freezes, the only way to remedy it is to remove the battery temporarily and restart.
--Chelsea

John Huval

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There have been instances where the 590 locked up. It happens when I am following a long trip from Trip Planner, and add an interim destination on the fly. I have a blank sd card installed, but it doesn't seem to matter. When the unit freezes, the only way to remedy it is to remove the battery temporarily and restart.
--Chelsea
Hi Chelsea,

My 590 freezes and then restarts when I try to add a via point or POI into the current route -- when searching along the route for gas or lodging as an example. Garmin support suggested a hard reset which I've performed multiple times with no effect.

-- John

QUOTE="John Huval, post: 4640, member: 786"]Hi Chelsea,

My 590 freezes and then restarts when I try to add a via point or POI into the current route -- when searching along the route for gas or lodging as an example. Garmin support suggested a hard reset which I've performed multiple times with no effect.

-- John[/QUOTE]
Hello John,
Having the freezing problem with the first 590lm, and then having my back-up car GPS succumb to vibration/water failure, I needed another redundant routing means. A dedicated GPS made the most sense due to the limited real estate on my handle bars. Garmin is the leader, so the choice became buy a second 590lm or a unit introduced 3 to 4 years earlier. Garmin has a history of dropping support of their legacy products. So, I now own two 590lm's. And, like you have experienced, that unit also has the 'feature' of freezing when adding a via enroute.
My units were purchased about a year apart. Each came from different lots. Firmware and map updates are made every 3-4 months. The 'feature' remains.
The saving grace is that when one locks up, the second still provides routing until the next fuel stop where the battery can be pulled and reinstalled. (The power button rarely resets under this situation.)
--Chelsea

I've been using a Garmin ZUMO 590LM for about 3 months now. Compared to the Garmin ZUMO 660LM I last used, the 590 is a Piece Of Sh$t. Locks, Does crazy stuff, The software/programming done by Garmin is a crying shame. Some new 'team' must have designed the 590 ...and they failed. I switched to the 590 to get TPMS. Looks more like I paid $800 (Plus $60 x 2 for the TPMP Sensors!) for Garmin's-Mistake-Of-A-Product. 'I Am Sad.'

QUOTE="Steve Diederich, post: 4669, member: 796"]I've been using a Garmin ZUMO 590LM for about 3 months now. Compared to the Garmin ZUMO 660LM I last used, the 590 is a Piece Of Sh$t. Locks, Does crazy stuff, The software/programming done by Garmin is a crying shame. Some new 'team' must have designed the 590 ...and they failed. I switched to the 590 to get TPMS. Looks more like I paid $800 (Plus $60 x 2 for the TPMP Sensors!) for Garmin's-Mistake-Of-A-Product. 'I Am Sad.'[/QUOTE]
Hello Steve,
I agree, but as someone once said, the bike is the down payment for the farkles you add...
--Chelsea