2nd gps or tablet?

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Get on the horn with Garmin, unless something's changed my experience with them is they have always been willing to go the extra mile to make me happy even when my problem was caused by my own mistake.

John Huval

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Get on the horn with Garmin, unless something's changed my experience with them is they have always been willing to go the extra mile to make me happy even when my problem was caused by my own mistake.
We've arranged an exchange under warranty and I'll post back here after I've used the replacement unit for awhile.

I just got a RAM cradle for my iPad Air (in a Survivor case). I've had an iPhone mounted for years and used it for many rally tasks, but used two Garmins for navigation. I'm keeping one of the Garmins for backup (GPSMap 640) snd trying the iPad as my primary Nav & trip management tool. I've been playing with apps like inRoute and Global Scout for route planning and GPX waypoint management. I'm going to take a look at CoPilot for online/offline navigation (been using Google Maps so far). I've been using email to get rally GPX files onto the iPad for processing.... So if I do an event where they only give the GPX on a USB, I'll be screwed.

I've done some test rides with the iPad mounted... Screen is so huge compared to anything I've used before!

mess533

Ron Messick, Independence, MO IBA#598
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Last year I tried running both my Garmin 665 & 660 and just for fun my iPhone6. Everything worked great earlier in the morning. When the sun came out the screen to my iPhone went completely black. Completely my fault, of course, I left it exposed to the sun. A few minutes in the shade, the screen returned to normal. How are you guys/gals keeping the sun off the phones and tablets? Not sure if the direct sunlight, or outside temperature were to blame. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Last year I tried running both my Garmin 665 & 660 and just for fun my iPhone6. Everything worked great earlier in the morning. When the sun came out the screen to my iPhone went completely black. Completely my fault, of course, I left it exposed to the sun. A few minutes in the shade, the screen returned to normal. How are you guys/gals keeping the sun off the phones and tablets? Not sure if the direct sunlight, or outside temperature were to blame. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
I ran the IB5000 with an iPhone 4s on my handlebar. 5 days and 5575 miles across the U.S. South in August. The iPhone never blinked once. It may indeed be the 'direct sunlight'. I use a Biologic case mount. It's designed for bicycle use, but works perfectly fine on motorcycles. It seals the iPhone in a water resistant case and a screen cover that still lets you operate the phone. Keeps the rain off and also keeps any direct sunlight from hitting the phone. I'm using a similar case (Survivor) for my iPad on a RAM mount this summer (going back to the South in August again, I need to work on my schedule planning) ... I'll let everyone know how it stands up.

I'm looking to update my Garmin Nuvi 2595 to a Dzel 770 but want to run some ideas by others first. In a perfect world, I could use Google My Maps to create routes and then navigate them using an Android tablet. There are several waterproof Android tablets that are cheaper than the Dzel 770 ($300 refurbished with warranty).

Currently I ride with a Nuvi 2595 and Garmin 78. I make my routes using Google, My Maps and then export them as a *.kml file and import into Basecamp. From there I can create Garmin routes and tracks. I load the routes into my Nuvi and the tracks into my Garmin 78. The advantage of having the tracks in the 78 is that it won't change them like the Nuvi will. By using enough way points and making sure that routing preferences are the same in Nuvi and Basecamp, things usually go well there too but it's good to have a backup with the 78.

My problem is this is all a pain. I wish I could create a route in My Maps and go jump on my motorcycle and ride. The route would already be there on my Android tablet. You can SEE routes but not navigate them using the mobile Google maps app. This year Google did add a feature that lets you add "a stop" along a route but you're still limited to going from A >> B, not A >> B >> C >> D.

This means that I can't stop using Garmin and Basecamp. I can't use Google My Maps for multi-point routes. So why the update to the Dzel 770? It has the ability to connect via bluetooth as a headset (not just as a phone) to my Sena SMH10 which means that voice navigation commands will work through the Sena microphone. Is it worth $300 to be able to speak to my Garmin unit while riding and find a McDonald's and gas station along my route? Totally! <grin> So, if I can't go directly from My Maps to navigating on an Android tablet, at least I can enjoy a breakfast burrito on the road while I wait for Google to get its act together.

Advice? I know that some of you ride with tablets. I'm interested in doing this eventually. If there are good reasons to spend $200 on a waterproof tablet (like the Galaxy Tab Active) instead of $300 on a newer Garmin unit, I'm all ears. Ram makes a nice locking case for the Galaxy Active Tablet. It's not the fastest tablet out there these days but it is waterproof and can be found for under $200, new with warranty.

Why don't you simply create the routes in BaseCamp and transfer them directly to your GPS?

You can always check any specific points in Google Maps and Streetview.

Why don't you simply create the routes in BaseCamp and transfer them directly to your GPS?

You can always check any specific points in Google Maps and Streetview.
There are a few reasons I'd rather use Google Maps.
#1 I know it better, yes I could do something about that so discount this one. I know Basecamp well enough to get the job done with it.
#2 Basecamp is not real fast on my travel laptop that I take with me on rides. The plus for Basecamp is that it doesn't require an Internet connection but usually that's not a problem.
#3 I like the Waze features now included with Google Maps mobile navigation app.
#4 If Google continues to compete with Garmin in consumer automotive navigation, I'm betting on Google. It would be better if they would all play nice but back when Google removed the "Send to GPS" option from Google Maps, the handwriting was on the wall.

I AM looking into CoPilot for android. That seems like it may be a option that would do what I wish My Maps would do. Who knows, if Copilot gets good enough, maybe Google will buy them! <grin>

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Chelsea,

My 590 freezes and then restarts when I try to add a via point or POI into the current route -- when searching along the route for gas or lodging as an example. Garmin support suggested a hard reset which I've performed multiple times with no effect.

-- John
I just wanted to mention something for those who may not check often. Garmin released a software update last summer that fixed this bug. It was incredibly frustrating, and predictable enough that I could video it. I don't remember when it was released, but it helped.

DrNeo

Premier Member
I just got a RAM cradle for my iPad Air (in a Survivor case). I've had an iPhone mounted for years and used it for many rally tasks, but used two Garmins for navigation. I'm keeping one of the Garmins for backup (GPSMap 640) snd trying the iPad as my primary Nav & trip management tool. I've been playing with apps like inRoute and Global Scout for route planning and GPX waypoint management. I'm going to take a look at CoPilot for online/offline navigation (been using Google Maps so far). I've been using email to get rally GPX files onto the iPad for processing.... So if I do an event where they only give the GPX on a USB, I'll be screwed.

I've done some test rides with the iPad mounted... Screen is so huge compared to anything I've used before!
A little old, but you can purchase a USB to Thunderbolt cable for the iPad and use something like iFile or AnyTrans to get those files from the USB flash drive to your iPad.

igneouss

Premier Member
pros and cons...

Pros for tablets: big screen. Weather radar. Google maps which have lots more detail than GPS with satellite imagry etc.
Cons for tablets: mounting, housing, security. Data consumption/cost. Most importantly, cell service. Rally masters love remote bonus locations so Id expect times when a cell driven device would only get you 90% of the way there. And that 90% is often the part you DON'T need the advantages of the cell device to navigate. e.g interstate highways.

I routinely used both options professionally. Have not used cell devices in a rally situation.

As cell coverage increases, cell devices will take over. Lots of "civilians" have already ditched GPS for their smart phones.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sorry for the large pic...

I use both a Garmin Zumo 660LM and an iPad Mini in my configuration. The Garmin is used for routing whereas the iPad is used for situational awareness (CoPilot zoomed out appropriately, weather radar, etc.) and for route status checks. I create my route plan and copy it to an Excel file. The plan includes the stops, durations, notes, etc. When saved to iCloud I can load and display the plan on the iPad.

upload_2017-2-6_11-34-16.png click for full size

The route plan looks something like this:

upload_2017-2-6_11-47-3.png

Last edited:

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Once I started using my iPad, my Zumo 660 became the backup.... On the iPad I use CoPilot, This program can do your routing or you can use basecamp, convert it to CoPilot's file by using Route Converter, then upload it to the iPad using iExplorer.. Sounds like a bit of work but once you do it it's just a few clicks of the mouse and you're done... For me using CoPilot is far better than any GPS for what it does for directions and screen display....
I have a route converted to the CoPilot .trp format and have iExplorer installed on my Mac and my iPad. Can you describe exactly how to get the .trp file to a spot where the Load Route function will see it?