36 hour Brit Butt Rally...... Entry Open

Okay, so that's hotel booked for Friday and Sunday night. When I sign up to the rally you're all in trouble. Robert will be having sleepless nights worrying about this level of competition. Bring it on!

Be lucky, Iain

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just over a month now :eek: :D

New front tyre this weekend, service in a few weeks and back tyre then I should be about good to go. Might sit down and do some dry runs again on route planning just to refresh the grey matter :rolleyes:

Hopefully it'll warm up a bit between now and then too!

I've got the first service booked this week for the Adventure then it's time to get farkling! Not too much planned - proper SatNav mount, uprated headlight, PDM60 power, taller screen and see about organising my rally gubbings in the new tank bag - I'm not sure it looks as robust as my previous one.

I could do with some computer practice too Mark, my grey cells are struggling these days.

You should definitely give one a go TWJ, it's a good bike. Whether it's a good rally bike remains to be seen.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm toying with putting one or a set of these in the bike, but it might be after the rally now:

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/R1200GS-LT-and-RT-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Kit-6400-lumen_p_147.html

Even with postage they're cheaper than versions I've seen from Europe. They do versions of all bulb types if you look under the drop down list for Street/Dual Sport/Adv. Also less hassle than HID as there's no ballast to find space for.

What size tank is it Lee and what sort of range can you get, or haven't you tried yet?

It's their kit for the 1190 that I have sat in the garage waiting to be installed :cool: I got them from Zen Overland in the UK but they don't look to stock the GS version online, they may be able to get one for you though as they are obviously bringing stuff in from Cyclops. From what I can gather you get what you pay for with LEDs, though the price of these made me wince.

I had put HIDs in the Kwak and the light they gave out was excellent. It was a bit of a fiddley install though the ballasts were slimline so they weren't too bad to find a home for.

The KTM tank is 23 litres and the dash starts to panic flash at 190-200 miles, despite the 'clever' computer telling you that it has an over-300 mile range when fully fuelled :rolleyes: I'd have liked more range but there's only 1 real bavarian option for that and I still don't fancy a GSA.

There's a tidy aux tank available but it only adds 6 litres, so I will be looking into an untidy option at some point ;)

There's a tidy aux tank available but it only adds 6 litres, so I will be looking into an untidy option at some point ;)
You may find that six litres is all you need.

If you already have a range approaching 300 miles on a good day, then the extra petrol does a number of things. First, it lets you run the main tank dry before you even have to think about finding more fuel, as you have 6 liters in reserve, which is not a small amount.

The effect of this is that instead of worrying about fuel every 200 miles, you probably just added another 100 miles and still have some breathing space. That allows you to refuel on your schedule, not the bike's and removes all "fuel anxiety".

There is more than one reason for carrying auxiliary fuel, and riding 300+ miles in one go is the least of them :D

Hope that helps.

If you already have a range approaching 300 miles on a good day...
I wish I did have that range, I'm currently running the bike in which us about the best day you'll get with being gentle and on limited revs, and 200 is the comfortable max. Another 6 litres would add maybe add 40 miles, no doubt a help when in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, but the 6 litre tank is rather expensive and for less than the cost of it there are better options giving better backup available.

Have you ever run it dry to see what the true range is, despite the panicking computer?

When my FJR starts to pee its pants, I have at least 50 miles, and often up to 70 miles left. The major point of the post above was to say that even a small amount of extra gas is very useful, because it lets you use ALL the gas in your main tank. It's surprising how liberating that can be :)

I haven't ran it dry, I've only had it just over a week ;)

I do get what you mean about having even a bit extra when the chips are down. I won't be able to get anything sorted before the Brit Butt though, but perhaps before I tackle the European Tour in September.

Mileage will improve as it runs in and loosens up. It might not get its max until a few thousand miles are under its wheels.

It's a nice bike, have fun with it.

Does anyone have a copy of the presentation done at the Christmas party. I know Phil sent it out, but changes in computers etc, and for reasons I can't fathom I can't find the e-mail or the presentation. Thanks if you can help. Email address is [email protected].

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just checking - am I right in thinking that the meal deal purchase was only needed for Sunday night and not Friday?
Yes that's how I read it, Friday's pasta thing is included in the rally fee.

Unfortunately I booked my rooms before the official email came through and had booked a breakfast for Monday morning. It's no bother though as I'll just choose and pay for a Sunday evening meal once I get back that afternoon. :)

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
I'm toying with putting one or a set of these in the bike, but it might be after the rally now:

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/R1200GS-LT-and-RT-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Kit-6400-lumen_p_147.html

Even with postage they're cheaper than versions I've seen from Europe. They do versions of all bulb types if you look under the drop down list for Street/Dual Sport/Adv. Also less hassle than HID as there's no ballast to find space for.

What size tank is it Lee and what sort of range can you get, or haven't you tried yet?
Just took the plunge and ordered a set of led headlight bulbs plus led indicator bulbs

That's me now fully signed up for this ferkin' rally. See all at Rally Headquarters in a couple of weeks. Bikes all sorted and rearing to go. Odo just reading shy of 100000 miles - never know might just hit it on the rally:cool:

Be lucky, Iain

I have to cancel my entry to the rally due to my ticker not settling down as quickly as I had hoped it would and I'm not going to push my luck. :(:(:(:(
So I just want to say that I hope everyone has a great ride and above all have fun though I'm pretty sure John will have something to push you all to the edge and beyond.:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:
Good luck I will be watching all the spot trackers with interest.