48-in-10 Planning Minutiae

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thank you!
I should have added more, should have been - no motel reservations. I didn't want to add anything that would stop me on a good day.
Okay - and that would have been the other way of interpreting that statement... :D

I have no plans on reservations - definitely not any in the first stages of the ride, agree with that.

You'd figured out that your ride required that 800-odd mile average, but on day two you'd put yourself in a bit of a bind at that time. Did you have specific locations (If I make it to X, I'm good!) as 'daily waypoints'?

Rollin'

Premier Member
Okay - and that would have been the other way of interpreting that statement... :D

I have no plans on reservations - definitely not any in the first stages of the ride, agree with that.

You'd figured out that your ride required that 800-odd mile average, but on day two you'd put yourself in a bit of a bind at that time. Did you have specific locations (If I make it to X, I'm good!) as 'daily waypoints'?
I didn't have any daily waypoints, I just used daily and total trip mileage as a guide to track my progress.

Texas Tom

Premier Member
I didn't have any daily waypoints, I just used daily and total trip mileage as a guide to track my progress.
As an alternate to Rollin'....I did have 3 daily waypoints but they weren't sequential. B/C of where I began the ride (MS) I had to get to ME on the end of day 2 to ensure I got through Chicago before Monday rush hour (end of day 3). The last waypoint was end of day 6 in Lakeview., CA. Other than that, I played it by ear......

DrNeo

Premier Member
Obviously make the ride yours, but instead of putting the exact route together, what we decided to to was to put in 48 waypoints and then run the shortest route between them. I found that it took the GPS way too long to try to recalculate with the whole route loaded in. It also allowed the GPS to route us around traffic if needed.

As Rollin' did, I made up 48 note cards with the name of the stop on them, took a picture then just paper clipped the receipt to it and stowed it in my top box and grabbed the next card. I also had a list that I crossed off for each stop - not a big deal when you're out West, but when you stop 8 times in a day for a needed receipt - things can get a little hairy.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
My Basecamp learning curve is getting better:

Only a few of the intermediate gas/receipt stops are on the map (e.g. Montana - four chances to get a good one there!); route is CW from Kingman, AZ; ends in Hobbs, NM. Both locations are aways from home, and I've not totally set my sights on these locations definitely as beginning/ending locations.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
It would be faster though....and you would be home for dinner.
Starting in Kingman (or Parker); ending in Hobbs. No, this route takes me home for lunch not dinner. :D

The values that BC is providing for the statistical trip data is interesting. Especially factoring in time at the pump (70-odd times - ten minutes each) and a 9 to 10 hour rest block beginning on day three where I'm thinking each day ends. I'm now understanding the 'keep riding' aspect on some of the days after day 6 (New England), which I think I want to do on a Saturday.

Now to take my neophyte BC skills and apply them to the get-away I'll be doing 2-up in April.

I'm keeping my daily ride goals simple at a thousand miles a day. I look to see where this will put me each night so I can try and identify a place to either bivy or put up my tent and be on the road the next morning before attracting too much attention (I like baseball fields/parks where I can pull the bike next to the dugout and sleep without having to unpack a bivy or tent). Thousand mile days (16-17 hours) also limit the number of hours riding in the dark which I would like to do whenever possible (changing from a May start for just the 49/10 to a June start (both rides) to accommodate snow pack melt for some of the passes on the CDT will give me more daylight hours) - plus I promised my wife I would stop and sleep each night to avoid the competitiveness in me which likes to see how many days I can ride consecutively without sleep. I'm planning to avoid motels and campgrounds for the 24 days I think it will take to complete the 49/10 (10 days) and north-south CDT (10-14 days). I thought about having the dirt tires shipped to a shop in Canada; but instead will strap them to the bike so I can change them after riding from Hyder to Banff. I will also bring an oil filter and just buy oil so I can do a quick change along with tires - just need to find a place like an auto-parts store that will accept the drain oil and not mind me changing the oil somewhere nearby.I've sourced a couple of shops which might let me use space and do the work myself for a nominal fee and be available to help if I encounter difficulties. My start date/time from Needles will be adjusted to enable me to get through most of the heavier congested east coast areas during the weekend. I'm spending more time thinking/planning/worrying about the CDT than the 49/10 which is a mistake. Both rides are not something to be taken lightly - but I want to make sure I have fun - and based on previous experiences - having a good general plan, along with some contingencies enables me to relax into the ride. Knowing I will not need to rely upon staying in motels or campgrounds gives me flexibility on stop times.

Texas Tom

Premier Member
Now to take my neophyte BC skills and apply them to the get-away I'll be doing 2-up in April.
Having completed my first 48-10 in 8.5 days, I'm looking to complete both the 48-10 and 10/10ths in late May. The challenge is always time VS distance in the NE (all of the eastern seaboard). I've done a 10/10th's but I just can't fathom completing 8100 miles and not go for the brass ring.

I like the fact your startin in NM and I do like your route through WA/OR/CA. It looks better than my first ride. You have given me food for thought sir.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Having completed my first 48-10 in 8.5 days, I'm looking to complete both the 48-10 and 10/10ths in late May. The challenge is always time VS distance in the NE (all of the eastern seaboard). I've done a 10/10th's but I just can't fathom completing 8100 miles and not go for the brass ring.
Um, the 10/10'ths is for super-human riders; I'm not in the conversation there... :D

As I've commented, in looking at what BC has computed, if I really do have 9 to 10 hour rest periods at the end of the riding day, in getting the first three days in at the 1000-1100 mile mark, it means the rest of the ride turns into 650-800 mile days to get the ride distance accomplished. So, planning to be able to be slightly behind any planned time by day 6, 7 or 8 still keeps the ride on track to succeed by the end of day 10.

I like the fact your startin in NM and I do like your route through WA/OR/CA. It looks better than my first ride. You have given me food for thought sir.
No, I'm starting in AZ, ending in NM. That first 400 miles is all familiar territory, which should help get me in that ride rhythm right out of the gate. Again, I'm simply using pieces and parts of the routing done by others before me.

The tail-end is interesting. Previous routing has the OK location easily accessible from the south in TX, after catching AR in Texarkana. The routing at that point was simply 'get to NM thru TX, but aim to the south to get closer to home!' Thus, two pretty long fuel runs (on a stock Goldwing) thru TX, then Hobbs, NM is the last state.

However, it may not need to be. If there's still several hours of clock remaining, might as well use a chunk of it and get that much closer to home here in Baja Arizona.

That first leg is from Kingman to Clarkston, WA - 1100 miles. I did a ~1250 mile leg on my Why? to Whynot! ride; that was why I chose that 1100 mile mark. Nice long day, but not enough to really be beat up at the end of day 1.

Texas Tom

Premier Member
That first leg is from Kingman to Clarkston, WA - 1100 miles. I did a ~1250 mile leg on my Why? to Whynot! ride; that was why I chose that 1100 mile mark. Nice long day, but not enough to really be beat up at the end of day 1.
Your route got me to thinking CCW might be a better way to go since I like your route to WA. It's a hike from Houston in one day..... however it would allow for a bit of a buffer at the end of the ride; not having a time crunch if something untoward occurs on the eastern seaboard. Frankly I didn't really have an issue east of the MS since I left on a Friday eastbound. ATL sucked at rush hour but no different than Houston. I did lose some time there. The goal was to make York, ME by Sat PM and Beloit, WI by Sun PM (200A actual). After that, a piece of cake relatively speaking....

One item of note....while it adds ~25 miles or so, I will NOT be taking the GW bridge....I'll ride the extra miles across the Tappan Zee....y'all in the NE know what I'm sayin.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Heading north from AZ would put my ideal routing clockwise...

This is my preliminary day one as a Google Map link. This one has the intermediate fuel stops I need to make on a stock tank Goldwing in NV and ID, mainly plotted to understand time between legs.

https://goo.gl/maps/STp3XVeeDKt

The one piece that is NOT cast in concrete in this plan...I have an alternate start location (Parker, AZ); much smaller town, doesn't add any significant distance or time to the 48 state ride. I've got a ~300 mile ride to get to this region as a starting point -or- I could start at home, and tack on another 300 miles and two fuel stops to get to California.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
SS9000 - a short list of riders (3) that have done that - including two in 2017. The estimated total mileage I'm coming up with is 8400.

Texas Tom

Premier Member
I took a look at your google maps route to WA....BTW: If you cut over to Missoula from Clarkson, WA, that'll cut off 70 miles er so. Gas in Clarkson if your nervous about fuel on a naked wing.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I took a look at your google maps route to WA....BTW: If you cut over to Missoula from Clarkson, WA, that'll cut off 70 miles er so. Gas in Clarkson if your nervous about fuel on a naked wing.
Routing chosen, based on the earlier discussion in another thread - starts here and went for a couple of posts.

This was chosen in the context of (a) Clarkston being the end of day 1. (b) The collection of a receipt here to get WA. (c) The wisdom provided by the aforementioned discussion.

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/48-10-route-review.381/page-2#post-15045

Again, all thus far is strictly keyboard riding. :D

EDIT: In doing a little end-of-year digital housekeeping, I found the file that much of my route was based on, and I wanted to give credit where credit is due. Back in May of '16 was my first futzing around with this ride, Steve Bracken was kind enough to send me a GPX file.

Of course, at that time, I was a clueless nOOb when it came to GPX file manipulation, Basecamp, Mapquest, and a LOT of other stuff regarding this.

Only a couple of minor changes made, one of which is this very area. His route did go thru Lolo Pass.

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Let me follow-up on a topic I brought up in the first post of this thread - about a suitable stopping point in Ohio. In working a bit more on routing, the Independence area seems to be nice.

Additional information shows the area around Madison, Geneva, Ashtabula region is definitely worthy of a look, as I'd suspected.

Again, no hurry, but gleaned a bit of this just in looking at those routing choices made over the last few days...wanted to put a bow around that part of the discussion for now.

EDIT: I knew I read some of this history in the past! On the old web forum:

https://www.ironbutt.org/forum/default.asp

if you do a search for "48 state", it'll pull up an assortment of wisdom from some of the long time names of this pastime.

Several threads had details, but one was pointed to as a goldmine, and probably where I got a few more than a few tid-bits of wisdom from:

https://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3945&PN=1

When several say that the 48 (or 49)-in-10 is their favorite ride...that's gotta be a good sign!

EDIT: Simplified track file attached for review & comment.

Attachments

Last edited: