50cc E->W, start at Tybee (Savanna)?

Not a simple reason. Background: First Saddlesores done in 2002, a few more in the following years.

Then in 2006 I planned a 50cc, West to East, LA via I-40 to Wilmington, NC. My BMW R1100S was fully prepped including a custom 3 gal aux tank. Rode out to LA. Departed LA, rode to Barstow, and headed east. In NM a shaft which goes thru the clutch 'lost' its splines. Shipped the bike (and me) back to Phila. A very expensive ride, and BMW did not absorb any of the shipping or repair costs. So I've had this bug for 10 years. In April I rode down to JAX to depart for a 50cc but the weather in TX was dreadful and I rode back home.

So this was really my third attempt. Went to Tybee, got my witness and sand/water, found a working ATM in Wilm Island (close to Tybee). Got a starting receipt at 4AM and was heading west. As I approached Dallas around 9 PM ET my bike and body were doing fine but my brain was not 'in it' - decided I really didn't want to ride all the way to SD and THEN turn around and ride all the way back to Richmond. Was also having some dental 'issues' and something didn't feel quite right. So I checked into a hotel and checked out of the 50cc. Had a nice ride back over 2 days, off the clock. Ended up having periodontal surgery ($$). And pretty disappointed about my mission.

Thinking again about this ride and maybe in the fall when the weather is cooler?

Stuart

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Sounds like a good decision. After all this is supposed to be fun. I started out last year on my Hayabusa that has done multiple SS1000's. I had checked everything in preparation. nearing the start in San Diego I developed a small wobble but found nothing amiss. I left at 3:00 AM and the wobble soon came back. It got worse but not a big deal but as I road I thought about the what ifs. I made the decision half way across Arizona to abort and rode back to Oregon. The wobble even went away for the last 200 miles.

Later I found a front wheel bearing, which is sealed, had disintegrated. The balls had worked their way out of the race to the inside of the wheel hub where they eventually fell into the hollow spokes of the cast wheels. This caused balance problems. The spokes are open near the bottom and apparently while stopping or starting a ball could fall out of the spoke. This made things come and go.
I know I did the right thing. Now I have a 2000 LT and am dying to try again. Hopefully in early fall.

Good luck to you.