50CC (east to west) and BBG questions

John Z

Premier Member
The ride went well. We left Jacksonville Beach at a little after 0500 EDT on day 1 and arrived at Winnie Texas at about 1700 CDT. Ate supper and slept until midnight. Left Winnie to start the BBG at about 0100 CDT.
We were feeling good, plenty of rest behind us, and the temps were cool. The hydration jugs were a lifesaver! We didn't get uncomfortably hot until about Bowie Arizona, which we reached at 1400 local time. From that point until about dusk (at Yuma Arizona) I would periodically suck water from the jug and let it run out of my mouth to my under armor shirt. Instant cooling that lasted 10-15 minutes each time! We filled the jugs with ice once in the morning, and again in the evening.
We experienced really strong wind gusts going over the pass on I-8 (I'd estimate 50-60 mph gusts) that proved to be the toughest part of the ride. Still very warm at this point. Once we reached the top, it was smooth sailing all the way into Mission Beach. We stopped the clock at 2232 local, leaving us about 40 minutes to spare on the BBG and hours left in the 50 cc bank.
I only had 1 receipt issue on the entire ride. At Waelder Texas, the pumps were on but out of paper. The station was closed (we arrived there at 0342 local). I just took a photo of the pump, and a photo of the closed store and logged it.

The entire trip was 2,354 miles. Total time was 44 hours, 30 minutes, moving time was 32 hours. That gave me a moving average of 73 mph and an overall average of 53 mph.

I've submitted the rides via email, so I suppose I'll hear some thing pretty soon.
Thanks for all the tips!
J.Z.

Last edited:

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Useless statistics on the 50CC completions listed in the finisher list:

Jan 7 1%
Feb 28 2%
Mar 191 17%
Apr 189 16%
May 222 19%
Jun 119 10%
Jul 69 6%
Aug 60 5%
Sep 135 12%
Oct 76 7%
Nov 31 3%
Dec 19 2%
Total 1146 100%

Answered my own question - how frequent is an October 50CC run? Answer: Not very, but more than Jan, Feb, Jul, Aug, Nov & Dec! :D

Interesting, but maybe not surprising that Jul & Aug is a bit less. That temperature management thing and all...
53% during March-May (602) 90 days 6.7/day
63% during March-June (721) 120 days 6.0/day
93% during March-Oct (1,061) 240 days 4.4/day

There should be a way to share rooms and save costs. IBA motel and you can park the bike inside your room? Any chance of an IBA discount at a hotel chain?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There should be a way to share rooms and save costs. IBA motel and you can park the bike inside your room? Any chance of an IBA discount at a hotel chain?
IBA Motel? Hundreds of those along the way.... :) "There's always room for one more..."

IBA discount? Like the 10% off at Motel6?

March takes into account those that head over for the annual Pizza Party in JAX from the left-coast.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
IBA Motel? Hundreds of those along the way.... :) "There's always room for one more..."

IBA discount? Like the 10% off at Motel6?

March takes into account those that head over for the annual Pizza Party in JAX from the left-coast.
Didn't know that M6 gave 10% to IBA members. Is that everywhere or some locations only?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So, what do you need to show them? Does it works when you're not riding?
The few times I've used it, I just told them that I have a corporate rate, and the name of the organization is the Iron Butt Association.

Ira

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Same discount at the 6 applies if you're over a certain age, etc.

Hey - it's a few bucks; enough to buy a cheap meal someplace. :D

Paul Knight

Premier Member
There are so many ways to get discounts at hotels it is not funny.

I travel frequently (120+ nights/year) for work where I gladly pay corporate rates at the finest hotels since my company reimburses my expenses. BUT when I am traveling on my own dime almost any dive will do.

I paid 25 - 45$ / night using corporate rates or even government rates sometimes local or sometimes state or Federal Government rates at the Wyndham properties. I do consult for some government agencies and that is my excuse for using the GOVT rates.

Wyndham has a join their rewards and get 4 x $25 coupons to use at your next four stays , I stayed in Vegas and the rate was $25 plus $14 resort fee so I only paid the $14 resort fee. This was like free money, but you only had 6 months or so to use the $25 gift code.

https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec...p_mobi=yes&CID=WR-US:20160418:VAN:OFFER2016US

some of the fabulous Wyndham properties are:
Baymont Inn & Suites, Days Inn, Howard Johnson's, Knights Inn,Microtel, Ramada, Super 8, Travelodge, Wyndham, Wyndham Garden Hotels, Hawthorn Suites, and Wingate by Wyndham.