50CC Start times

Reader57

I notice that most of the 50CC attempts from the East Coast start in the first few hours of the new day.

Is this a body clock issue or are there advantages to this time that I am not realising? Starting around 3:00am puts the approach to Port Augusta well in the dark and means you are riding the Iron Knob section in the dark. Up to now, that is the only section prior to the Western Australia border that I have seen active wildlife at any time of day or night.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Body clock for me.
0400ish, into Ceduna BP by midnight for 4 hours sleep, do it again tomorrow.

Fatman

Peter for LTP and I it I did not want to ride the Nullarbor at night, especially the lower section from Eucla to Madura Pass which seems to be the section that could have more wildlife. Having said that on our run on that section in daylight we saw very little road kill from the previous night.

Check you refuel distances, Wudina shuts from memory at 10pm, there are new owners there now so not sure of their hours. Nullarbor RH is not 24hrs. Mundrabilla didn't have premium fuel (I don't think you require it for the Wing?)

And it does suit our body clock better for a start time of around 3am or 4.

Sounds like you have a ride in the planning??

Ed.

Premier Member
Wudina nominally shuts at 10...but don't count on it, ring ahead. Last time I was through there it was shut well before then. It was a very slow, fuel efficient trip to Ceduna.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I looked back over a few 50CC legs leaving from the east:
Newcastle/Perth: .............................. 04:00 and 03:00
Brisbane/Perth: ................................ 02:45

Newcastle/Port Augusta/Darwin:.... 03:00 and 21:30 (but that 21:30 one was timed to hit a FarRide check-in window at Renmark on the way)

Peter for LTP and I it I did not want to ride the Nullarbor at night, especially the lower section from Eucla to Madura Pass which seems to be the section that could have more wildlife. Having said that on our run on that section in daylight we saw very little road kill from the previous night.......
Although not including the Eucla to Madura section I did a BBG from Newcastle to the WA/Border using 04:00 and turned straight back toward home for a double crossing of the eastern Nullabor in the dark. 20 or so wombats on the return leg if I recall correctly Michael.

Last edited:

Reader57

I have another question that is still 50cc based.
What are the reasons why south of Norseman with a finish at Busselton or Bunbury not used? The kilometres are just over 4000klm and there is 24 hour fuel.
Are the approach roads "bad"? Too much wildlife? Or is it that it just hasn't been done?

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Three witnesses? 24 hour fuel? I'd think there would be issues with roads less travelled meaning more wildlife at night. Certainly in the daytime has some great views. Some restrictive speed limits may be encountered too?

Ed.

Premier Member
Wasn't there something early on about having to be not south of sydney and not south of Perth? It is something I have often wondered about and thought that should be questioned at some point but never had the need to yet.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
When I rode sand to sand (water to water) with Dr Ox's sample bottles in my topbox, I talked to Mike Kneebone about the starting point. It is between Sydney and Brisbane and the destination is Perth (Fremantle)

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I've consistently found a start time at 04:00 with a get out of bed around 03:00 has put me in a good space for almost all my rides both for rest before the event and fuels.
I finish work at around the usual time and settle down for some TV and don't generally go to bed earlier than usual. 03:00 wake up is only one hour ahead of normal anyway. And I usually have about a half hour ride to get to my start docket anyway.

So on the collective advice of the regular cc riders my times would most normally fit the lay of the land for fuel a rest.
This is encouragging if a 50CC is in your sights.

Good question Peter
Cheers