7th Annual Defective Gene Pool RTE

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The 7th annual meeting of this group of sickos promises to be one of the best yet! Join us as we induct into the Defective Gene Pool Hall of Fame, the first ever ALL MALE two up finishers of the IBR, Paul Tong and Peter Green. It doesn’t get much more “Defective” than two guys riding around for 11 days on a motorcycle together. I’ll leave all the other jokes and innuendo out for now, but suffice it to say, you don’t want to miss this induction. Bill Thweatt and I are busy writing and re-writing the induction speech, but we just can’t seem to clean it up enough for public consumption.
Here’s the rest of the info:

http://www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com/

The Defective Gene Pool will host its' 7th Annual Meeting (Ride to Eat style) Saturday, February 24th, 2018 at Big Ray's Bar-B-Que in Allen, Texas. We'll begin gathering around 10:00am and hit the doors at 11:00 when they open for business.

http://www.bigraysbarbeque.com

The "Pool" was formed by a few past IBR finishers to give DFW area LD riders and potential LD riders an opportunity to swap lies, renew old acquaintances, encourage new participants to the sport, and generally to celebrate the defective gene that runs common to us all. Other less notable pursuits may ensue. Projected attendees include several past IBR finishers and a host of LD riders with significant rally and IBA ride experience. If you feel you have the "defective gene" that causes this madness or you just like to gawk at weird people, please join us for this enlightening gathering.

For info or questions email or call Cliff Wall, IBA #459 ==> [email protected], (214) 616-7327.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And of course I am supposed to be in Ocean City MD at a Beerfest with my wife on that weekend.

I wonder if she will notice if I'm not there????

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As has become the tradition, the pre-party will be Friday night at Rudy's BBQ in Allen, TX at 1790 N Central Expy. We'll meet there for dinner at 6:30 but you can come earlier if you want. We'll hang around there for the evening so come later if need be.

The official hotel for the event (no block of rooms or special rate) is the Hilton Garden Inn at 705 Central Expy S, Allen, TX. This is the same hotel we used for the IBA Texas event for those of you who attended that gathering. They have a nice lobby bar you can hang around in and swap lies after you finishing eating at Rudy's. Then in the morning you will not be far from Ray's BBQ so you can go chase your BBQ with some more BBQ.

See you there!

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
New 2018 GOLDWING viewing opportunity at the Defective Gene Pool RTE:

We have a very special opportunity for attendees at this year's Defective Gene Pool RTE February 24, 2018. Several of us locals recently attended the bike show in Dallas and got an up close look at the new Goldwing. Suffice it to say that it's a real beaut!

Well, we were so inspired by the sleek lines of the new Wing that the DGP top brass decided to share that excitement with you in the Ray's BBQ parking lot starting Saturday morning the 24th at 10:00am. As you know, we are an extremely low budget operation. No, we couldn't swing the delivery cost of a new Wing, but we did pick up a really nice 2018 GOLDWING brochure at the Honda booth. We plan to pass it around for all to see before the BBQ munching starts!

Plan to arrive early so you don't get left out. Viewing is first come, first serve, and is limited to 3 minutes per attendee. Group viewing is encouraged.

See you there!

;)

http://www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com/

Last edited:

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
COMMUNITY SERVICE MESSAGE FROM THE DEFECTIVE GENE POOL:

With the lingering cold weather in Texas it is possible that temps could be a little chili on February 24th, the date of the 7th Annual Defective Gene Pool Ride to Eat.

www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com

So, with that thought in mind, here are a few tips for staying warm while participating in the DGP RTE:
  • Ride two up if possible. (Ask Paul Tong and Peter Green, this years’ HOF inductees, about the warming effect of having someone snuggling up behind you.)
  • Consider joining us Friday night for the pre-party at Rudy’s BBQ in Allen. A slab of hot BBQ the night before will wart off the early morning cold on Saturday.
  • Mill around in the parking lot at Ray’s in tight groups of 3 or 4. If you need help with this technique go watch some cows. They are masters at it.
  • Add Tabasco sauce to your coffee. Ray serves free coffee around 10am. The Tabasco won’t keep you any warmer but it will probably send you inside to the bathroom pretty quick. It’s warm in there.
You probably won’t need any of these tips as I’m sure it will warm up in a couple of weeks. If not, well, we’ll have the Tabasco sauce ready when you get here.

I have to give Tong and Green some serious kudos. I just don't know anyone, even my wife, I'd want to be that close to for 11,000 miles. I could dream of a few though.;)

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Possible free bike wash at DGP RTE, 2/24/18:

It’s always possible. Today it would be probable, but the RTE ain’t today, so I can only say you may have an opportunity for a free bike wash at the DGP RTE next Saturday 2/24. The weather forecast changes every day, sometimes every hour. Currently the chance of rain next week is 50%. It’s been as low as zero and as high as 100. Go figure. It’s north Texas in February. But, after all, these are the World’s Toughest Motorcycle Riders, so I expect you’ll show up one way or the other. If it rains, you’ll get Bill Thweatt’s version of a free bike wash. If it doesn’t, you’ll be left high and dry.

Disclaimer:

Free bike wash only available at the Defective Gene Pool RTE at Big Ray’s BBQ in Allen, TX, February 24, 2018. Not valid before 8am or after 2pm. Rider must supply own rags, cleaning solutions, etc. and must clean up after himself/herself after bike wash is completed. Parking available on a first come, first served basis. Not all riders will be guaranteed to receive rain in their particular parking spot. Rain, if present, is not guaranteed to be free of acid, smog particles or other pollutants. Global warming may cause rain to be either more excessive or non-existent, depending on your particular political persuasion. Rain, when introduced to leather boots, gloves, riding gear, etc. has been known to cause monkey butt, web feet, wrinkled prune-like skin, toe fungus and other incurable diseases. Washing your bike without a permit may be a violation of City of Allen local laws. Farting on your bike to dry it after eating Ray’s BBQ is considered bad form. And finally, this offer not licensed in all 50 states, this message should not be considered an offer to sell securities, check with your doctor before consuming anything, and don’t run with scissors or play with matches.

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well the weather is certainly crap in north Texas this week and Friday and Saturday look to be no exception. Just a line to let you know that Bill and I will be there both Friday night and Saturday morning to pull off the event once again. If you are on the fence and you want to drive to the event, we will give you special dispensation this one time since the weather isn’t cooperating, and this ain’t the Iron Butt Rally. We’d rather see you there safe and sound than you not come at all. For those of you who are going to be riding in, ride safe and stay dry.

See you Friday night or Saturday morning.

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Sorry for the long string below but the previous emails support the post…

I was feeling a bit down about the weather that’s looming over the DGP RTE festivities coming up tomorrow and Saturday, when I got the email copied below from Matt Wise. As you’ll read, Matt is making a super human effort to get back for the event from Afghanistan. I don’t believe for a minute that he adjusted his world travel to attend the event, but the gesture is notable. Matt has made all six previous events and wants to keep his streak alive, remaining one of only a handful who have accomplished such a feat.

Small potatoes, you say? Well, these are the simple yet profound actions that bind all IBR finishers together. Matt is a three time finisher of the IBR and a hell of a rider, and an even better friend and supporter of the LD riding community. Thanks Matt for renewing my dampened spirits. I’m gonna hit the garage tonight and get the old Wing ready for the storm.

Matt's email address is included below so If you have time, send Matt a word to read between airports, taxi’s and Uber’s. Here’s wishing you safe travels my friend. See you all soon. Ride safe.

Cliff
IBA #459

Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:57 PM
To: Wall, Cliff <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: DGP Friday and Saturday RTE - Still on!
Hey Cliff,
I’m currently in Afghanistan getting ready to head back to Dallas in order to make it to both the Friday and Saturday gathering. I have made the last six consecutive and have adjusted my world travel specifically to be there this year. In 2012 Steve Chalmers gave me an award for traveling the farthest distance to make the 1088 that year. Maybe the DGP should have a similar award? Just saying.
See you Friday night,
Matt Wise.
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 22, 2018, at 5:55 AM, Wall, Cliff <[email protected]> wrote:
Well the weather is certainly crap in north Texas this week and Friday and Saturday look to be no exception. Just a line to let you know that Bill and I will be there both Friday night and Saturday morning to pull off the event once again. If you are on the fence and you want to drive to the event, we will give you special dispensation this one time since the weather isn’t cooperating, and this ain’t the Iron Butt Rally. We’d rather see you there safe and sound than you not come at all. For those of you who are going to be riding in, ride safe and stay dry.
See you Friday night or Saturday morning.
Cliff Wall
IBA # 459

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You already know we have a special opportunity to view the new 2018 Gold Wing (brochure, that is) at Big Ray’s BBQ on Saturday at the 7th Annual Defective Gene Pool RTE. Well, tonight, for those early partiers who are meeting at Rudy’s BBQ at 6:30, you’ll be treated to a very special first opportunity for a super-secret, super-limited viewing of the 2018 Gold Wing brochure. This is your chance to thumb through this full sized, color glossy brochure before it gets slopped with BBQ sauce, dog eared, and soaked in rain tomorrow at Big Ray’s.

See you tonight!

Rudy’s BBQ
1790 N CentralExpy, Allen, TX 75002

www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A quick word of thanks to the 40 or so folks who showed up in torrential rain and not so warm temps. We also had a record 10 early birds at the Friday night gathering. We had a great time as usual and inducted some new members into the Hall of Fame.

Paul Tong showed up to claim his HOF certificate and brought along two-up ride partner Peter Green by some sort of cell phone Skype connection ( I don't profess to know anything about technology). Matt Wise was inducted based on 3 IBR finishes and never missing a DGP RTE (that's 7 in a row if you're counting). And last but certainly not least, we inducted Big Ray's owner Ray Cotton who has been a most accommodating host for all seven DGP RTE's.

I'm in the process of gathering pictures from all of the attendees and I promise I will get them posted to the website sometime before next year's event. :D And just in time for delivery at the Jacksonville IBA event, the much coveted Defective Gene Pool shirts are now available. The cost will be something less than $25 (my one off version cost that) based on how big of an order we can put together. If you want a shirt just email me - [email protected] - your size and I'll get it ready. I'll probably use Paypal for payment or collect when I see you. Here is the mock-up pic:
DGP shirt 1.jpg