A Challenging Long-Distance Event

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
George A. Wyman was the first person to ride a motorized vehicle across America. He made his epic journey on a Roy C. Marks designed “California” motor bicycle starting in San Francisco, CA on May 16th and ending 50 days later in New York City, NY on July 6th, 1903. Wyman rightly deserves recognition as America’s first long distance motorcyclist and “The World’s Toughest Motorcycle Rider”, 1903.

The George A. Wyman Memorial Challenge consists of two distinct rides certified separately. They apply IBA certification requirements to the theme and spirit of Wyman’s 1903 transcontinental journey by motorcycle. Each ride offers very different challenges. Both share the same theme and basic challenge of riding from San Francisco to New York City, during the Wyman memorial period of May 16th through July 6th.
  • The Memorial 50cc Gold “The Hard Way” is especially challenging. To date only a handful of riders have certified riding from San Francisco to New York City. (SFO-NYC, under 50 hours, between May 16 and July 6.)
  • The Memorial Grand Tour, is a ‘bridge ride’ using the format of the long-distance motorcycle rally, which challenges riders to navigate to waypoints along a 3,600 mile route. (SFO-NYC, 50 days between May 16 and July 6. Certification levels: Gold-Silver-Bronze-Finisher)
Riders who successfully complete either of the GAW Memorial Challenge rides are listed in the special section in the IBA records. Link: Certified IBA Rides, enter the 'password' then press the Ctrl-F keys, and type Wyman

Complete rules, requirement and answers to frequently asked questions can be found via the IBA Events Calender listing or directly to The George A. Wyman Memorial Challenge rules page.

Add this unique IBA challenge event to your long-distance riding resume'. Pay tribute to the first long-distance motorcyclist and "World's Toughest Motorcycle Rider", 1903

Last edited:

Joseph Kappes

Kankujoe
Premier Member
Is it necessary to attend the GA Wyman Memorial "Rendezvous" to do the IBA certified GA Wyman Memorial Grand Tour ride?

I have a previous commitment for Memorial Weekend which makes it impossible for me to attend the rendezvous. I would like to do the waypoints challenge ride (GA Wyman Grand Tour) the end of June.

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
No Joe, you do not have to attend the "Rendezvous" to ride the Grand Tour.

The "Rendezvous" is an opportunity to meet up with others doing the Wyman Memorial Challenge.

You may ride the Grand Tour anytime. But, if you want it certified by the IBA it must be started and completed between May 16 and July 6.

Jon Kerr

More lost than found
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For the sfo to nyc hard way 50cc certification, as long as we do the route within the allotted time frame (may 16_July 6) and under 50 hours, does the exact route mater, or do we need to follow the wyman route exactly?

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For the sfo to nyc hard way 50cc certification, as long as we do the route within the allotted time frame (may 16_July 6) and under 50 hours, does the exact route mater, or do we need to follow the wyman route exactly?

Jon, for the Wyman Memorial 50cc Gold you may take any route from SFO to NYC. Make sure you ride and document at least 2,900+ mile to qualify for Gold.

Last edited:

Joseph Kappes

Kankujoe
Premier Member
Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm looking forward to riding a GAW Grand Tour in June.

Will this be an annual opportunity or is it this year only?

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Joe, the George A. Wyman Memorial Challenge is a stock IBA certified theme ride. It is available each year, May 16 through 6 July.

Last edited:

DrNeo

Premier Member
Is there any way this can be done from NY to SF? I realize it’s in reverse?
Nope, I don't believe so: "The purpose of the Wyman Memorial challenge is to pay tribute to the Wyman accomplishment by riding your motorcycle, west to east, following the route and visit the points along the way during same time of year Wyman did the ride."

But you could incorporate other rides to get to the start of this one - CC50... :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
You *could* ride the route (or portions of it) in reverse in 'flower sniffing' mode for the history perspective...