A New Lid Beckons

Farkleit

Premier Member
so i recently dropped my shoie Neotec. mr Swan insurance paid me to buy a new one.
please hel me decide what new lid i should buy.
i like flip front helmet.
i want a quiet helmet.
it must have provision for Sena speakers

Tele

Premier Member
I have the Shoei Neotec as well. I would get another one without hesitation if this one suffered some calamity.
I have Sena speakers fitted and I use ear plugs on the longer, faster rides. Good luck with finding a good "quiet" helmet. we all have different shaped heads and what one person thinks is quiet will not be the case for another. Ear plugs even out the sound.

Daisy

Premier Member
we all have different shaped heads and what one person thinks is quiet will not be the case for another.
It isn't just the shape of your head either. I have a Shoei GT Air thats almost as noisy as a flip up - because the helmet itself is designed to have the air flow across it in a particular way. It is noisy in my upright position on the GTR, but if I simply tilt my chin down to more of a sportbike position the noise goes away. Its a shame I can't actually ride in that position.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
noticed something similar with my new GT-Air and the Super Tenere so Im playing with the screen a tad.

Must say i love my new helmet.
Ive two other brands.
An evo3 shark which is heavey and noisy
and a Zeus which was ok but build quality is crap.

Take a look at Kabuto helmets. Once was the OGK company. I nearly bought the Kami but Australia only gets grey as a solid colour.
I did like the lid though.

Nexx is another unit you should try to get a look at Farkleit.

tj189

Premier Member
Do you flip the chin piece back or forward while you are riding along TJ? I really liked the ease of this with the Evoline, looks more complicated with the new one.
It comes out slightly as you pull the orange release button and still goes back with the same ease. When you bring it back there is a requirement to push it back until you hear the cliks. This is a better locking system than previous versions. Still easy to do whilst riding. The visor is great as it now opens by itself once you start to lift it open. Sun visor is also great as they have made it longer.
As Gatey mentioned above, the Evoline 3 and previous versions were heavy, I was and still am very impressed with the lightness of this new model.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
I had shark evo when they came out
Then bought the evo 2 in 2011
Then bought the evo something about 2 or so years ago. This one is carbon fibre and the lightest of the lot
Early this year I bought shoes neotec which I wore on the recent trip. It works well
I don't have experience with other helmets unless you want me to go back to the 80's & 90's.........

Farkleit

Premier Member
thanks guys for the comments. i visited a couple shops sat am.
the shark is still the heaviest of them all but at around 560 reasonably priced. i found the unside padding pushed on my ears as well.
the HJC i couldnt get to try in the right size. it sat too high on my head. its a similar build to the Shoie but with the Shark sort of price.
the Shoie fits quite nicely. im leaning back towards the Shoie
price is to overcome with retail at $950
best quote was $880.
need to pounder a little

tj189

Premier Member
Just a bit interested in which model Shark you tried on, Evoline 3 or the Evo-one which is lighter. These helmets sit around just above the average weight of helmets at 1750g (avg being appox 1650g). The padding can be changed on the Evo-One for a better fit or you can trim to suit.

Lots of good helmets out there with some great options.

Farkleit

Premier Member
H
Just a bit interested in which model Shark you tried on, Evoline 3 or the Evo-one which is lighter. These helmets sit around just above the average weight of helmets at 1750g (avg being appox 1650g). The padding can be changed on the Evo-One for a better fit or you can trim to suit.

Hi TJ, The latest one number 1 I'm sure, with the Shoie in one hand and Shark in the other Shark heavier. Also same when swap Shoie for the HJC.
Plus Shark is a different construction material of Firbeglass they tell me>>??????
Cheers

Rusjel

Premier Member

But only the Shark takes the chin piece back all the way. I have. Shoei flip face for work now, so I can do an ID check at the security gate. I'd be nervous about riding it with the chin piece up, whereas I used my Evoline in openface mode all the time.

Now I have a touring screen sorted for the Kato it would be good to have that capability again.