A place to discuss your upcoming rides

cjmckay

Premier Member
Just read your OP again... I suspect you may have a 'disconnect in expectations'. The SPOT device needs to be turned on and in 'tracking mode' before anything will appear in a map (either on SPOT or Spotwalla via the XML feed). Nothing appears on the map until then.
FYI - I typically use Google Map to plan my routes (as it give me access to fuel stop opening hours info etc.) - if you use Google's My Maps then you can plan your route and export as a KML file to import as an overlay to your Spotwalla trip - but in terms of 'certification/verification' requirements, it is your on the road, live SPOT locations in support of your ODO/DBR photos that is key (i.e. proving you were, where you said you were, when you said you were there.).

Yeah, I think I'm getting it down. Putting my spot in tracking mode was, i think, my stumble.

I'm glad I got lost in the Aussie section of the forum. This has been very helpful to me, ;)

I've been in person a few times (Darwin and Queensland) now I've made a digital visit as well. I hope to get back soon. I have a couple of recent personal celebrities I want to try and meet. I mean, I want to go back to Australia because I had a great time, but if I could also cross paths with Nerb1, AReiman1, or Neil Paskin it would be icing on the cake.

Well I played around with the Spot. Put it in tracking mode and got it to show locations for some trips. But I can no longer do that. Spotwalla isn't seeing it for trips or tracks. I have no idea what's different between yesterday and today and the days prior.

What gets submitted for a ride certification, a Trip or a Track? if I can't see it in real time in Spotwalla does that mean it's gone forever? Can you import historical data from the Spot tracker to submit?

I really need to understand how this works for my next SS1000. This has a lot more importance because the electric bike has no fuel reciepts. One of the many reasons only one factory backed effort in 2014 on a highly modified electric bike has ever made it to the bottom rung of the IBA Ladder with a Saddle Sore 1000.

*edit* I think I figured something out. There were only 5 messages on my XML Feed but if I hit the "test this configuration" it said 56 messages found. So I hit the update button and all 56 location messages populated and then all my trips now show locations. Is that how it works? you have to select update the XML Feed to see the location messages?

Last edited:

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
You do not need to by fuel.
You just need a dated time stamped docket with location clearly marked on it. By a drink or food or get anATM docket.
That's the fuel sorted.
Do recharge stations have that info on their dockets?

cjmckay

Premier Member
Well I played around with the Spot. Put it in tracking mode and got it to show locations for some trips. But I can no longer do that. Spotwalla isn't seeing it for trips or tracks. I have no idea what's different between yesterday and today and the days prior.

What gets submitted for a ride certification, a Trip or a Track? if I can't see it in real time in Spotwalla does that mean it's gone forever? Can you import historical data from the Spot tracker to submit?

I really need to understand how this works for my next SS1000. This has a lot more importance because the electric bike has no fuel reciepts. One of the many reasons only one factory backed effort in 2014 on a highly modified electric bike has ever made it to the bottom rung of the IBA Ladder with a Saddle Sore 1000.

*edit* I think I figured something out. There were only 5 messages on my XML Feed but if I hit the "test this configuration" it said 56 messages found. So I hit the update button and all 56 location messages populated and then all my trips now show locations. Is that how it works? you have to select update the XML Feed to see the location messages?
To answer your specific questions...
Trip are what is provided to the reviewers.
Spotwalla is generally considered 'supporting documentation'. DBRs and their odo photos along with a Ride Log is the primary documentation.
If the SPOT device was tracking and sent the info to the servers - it will be there somewhere. That's why I suggest you set up a map in the 'findmespot' environment - makes sorting out these issues much easier.
Also be aware that both Spotwalla trips and the live view are 'date bound' - you set the period of time that the map is displaying. Any SPOTs outside the time window are not shown.
I suspect your issues in Spotwalla may be tied to your 'device' not being 'active'. Go to: https://new.spotwalla.com/devices and make sure the last column 'Active?' is ticked. If not, select 'Update' in the drop down box on the device and turn on the slider switch above the 'Test This Configuration' button which is titled 'Turn on this option to active the device's message interface'. I've been caught on this one before.

Good luck.

Cameron

cjmckay

Premier Member
You do not need to by fuel.
You just need a dated time stamped docket with location clearly marked on it. By a drink or food or get anATM docket.
That's the fuel sorted.
Do recharge stations have that info on their dockets?
@Gatey - Logic says that... technically the rules often state otherwise (but the reference to fuel/gas is sometimes inconsistent). The issue is 'intent' vs 'what's written in the rules'.

By reference, I'll refer to the basis of all ride rules... https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssserieskm/
Step two states 'Collect, photograph and track FUEL receipts, START/END and each stop - photos of each receipt in front of your odometer - keep a log of each stop.'
then
STEP TWO: Collect, photograph and track FUEL receipts - THIS STEP IS CRITICAL!
I note that the next line then goes on to say 'Your ride starts from the location of your first computer generated receipt (preferably fuel):' - which suggests it is more a guideline that a rule....
Then, 'And finally, don't forget, we need ALL your FUEL receipts!'
The RECEIPT TIPS section is full of references to fuel and gas stations.

Then there is our favourite clause - the 350 mile limit....
'WARNING: If your motorcycle is equipped with a large fuel-tank, please note that you must stop at least once every 350 miles for gas (this is purely for documentation for your ride).'
Which is contradictory in and of itself as it refers to the stop as being 'purely for documentation' but is conditioned as be required to 'stop for gas'.

I'd like to think no-one would be rejected for complying with the intent of the rules but..... :)

All of the above could (easily) be resolved by removing all references to fuel/gas and standardising on the IBA defined term 'DBR' (which then defines what constitutes a valid DBR).

The charging stations do create reciepts but the are digital. You can't take a pic of one next to your odometer. In fact they have specific location data and the list the date and time of the charge start and charge end, but they are not vehicle specific. Only account specific. So I could have a buddy in a tesla charge with my account and it would look like I was charging.

Beyond the challenge of actually doing the ride (with the electric motos that are available to purchase), finding a way to demonstrate, to Mr. Kneebone's satisfaction, that I was where I said I was when I said I was there and that I got there on a motorbike is almost as hard.

I think that between the Spotwalla track, purchase reciepts, charging reciepts, pictures with exf data intact, and some timelapse video.....I can prove I did it. If I can do it.

I dunno...

Maybe you'll have to submit two pics, one a DBR (like buying a bottle of pop or something) taken next to your odometer, and then another pic with your bike in front of the same establishment.

The Exif data (which includes time and date) in each image will verify that you were at that specific place at that specific time.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On the up side, you have plenty of time to wander off and get a DBR while the bike is charging. ;)

The IBR rules and verbiage are always evolving. The originals were written in a time where many gas stations didn't have convenience stores and some were still giving you a paper receipt w/o info on it if you bought a pair of wiper blades or pack of gum. Even ATMs were a lot more scarce in the '80's. A lot has happened since then.

I haven't looked, do the charging stations themselves have some unique regulatory sticker with a s/n or location code on them? I know the charging protocols for the vehicles don't collect individual vehicle info like a VIN. But if you could show the vehicle plugged in with a pic of a unique regulatory ID sticker on the charger, plus your DCR (digital charging receipts), that could possible end up as a functional method for EV IBA documentation.

Last edited: