A place to discuss your upcoming rides

spanner

I went through there in early Jan,

Lots of green feed everywhere so they were not to active on the roads. I only had to lock on the anchors twice but that was AFTER I had seen t em and had slowed down but the silly Fkers decided to jump at the last second. lol.

I will be hopefully going through there in daylight but still need to check the timings.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
I look at a BB2500 as an SS1600 in 24hours, followed by 900km in 12hours. 1600km on that route is Morven, there is accommodation there. Or just swag it? Mitchell might be a better stop.
If you're efficient the 16 could be done in 18hours, which gives you 6hours off the road at a sleep location, before needing to start the second leg.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
So it just occurred to me that Armidale to Thargo and back to Armidale is only a tad over 2thousand K.s. Like almost a bomb proof shortest and easily verifiable two thousand K's with less than twenty kilometres extra to ride and my own shower and bed to climb into at trips end. KISS.
https://goo.gl/maps/jyFFnvWyFQD2

Last edited:
Should be an interesting run either way. Roos around Longreach can be in very large numbers, it is one of the areas that I will not travel at night.
I agree with TJ. Actually found it unbelievable (dec15) and counted for long distance avg around 38 carcasses/km on/next to road of which avg around 12 carcasses/km were fresh from previous day and many many more life and looking to be killed.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
So im looking at many options for the muster in 2018.
Is it close to home or far away? What state and what sector of a state. Will my three day in three days out strategy work or should I book more time?

Then I listened to the music thread and got a jab . One of those memorys of years and years ago when music gave a young man some sort of guidance good bad or other wise.
Old Cork Station and The Diamantina Drover. As a young bloke this was the holly grail. The far away place the offered nothing much yet offered so much hope.

So Ive decided this place by the Old Cork waterhole must be in my route. It fits with any muster destination in QLD easy. It fits with a multi day loope back into NSW too or over into NT and SA.

But I need to prove A turn round and attending that place. Sate view only shows a Station Homestead back across the way a very short distance.
Ive a major town Back at Winton for a docket . Then Its no real computer dockets at the left off 62 ( Kennedy Development Rd) onto the Diamantina River Rd.
So Im looking for bomb proof location eveidence options.
The first is a witness form mid ride from a manager of owner at Cork Station with an out and back docket at Winton.
My next thought is to back that up with a pic and time date at the intersection back on the 62. How do I best achieve that on my android phone, spot all of these?
And at the original homestead site.
So should I get SPOT just for this trip.
Would all of these options as a group provide a support/secondary evidence to support this route?

Im happy to learn SPOT or use other options. It just has to work and I want to set this up with Austrailian IBA management beforehand to get the green flag to give it a go.
My total K's subject to muster location range from high 3's to high 5's maybe 6's.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
My Garmin Zumo has a "Where am I" function.
It displays the GPS Coordinates, Nearest Address and Nearest Junction.
A timestamped photo of this display (and the map screen with time displayed) would go a long way to proving your location at that time, methinks.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gatey, depending on the time of the day you could take the road due south from Winton out to the Dinosaur Stampede and buy something from the cafe or gift shop there for a computer docket. Lark Quarry is 110km from Winton, 63km from Old Cork Waterhole/Homestead. The Waterhole is 161km from Winton via that Highway 62 corner route. That all forms a loop.

If you were to take a spare IBA witness form (you could pre-print one with location and GPS data to show clear intent) along with you for the Homestead manager to sign, plus the Dinosaur docket that would be pretty good secondary evidence to back up your ride.

There is always the option of making sure you ride well over the required distance to allow for that last 63km to the waterhole and back being 'disallowed'......

If you did get a SPOT it would show where you went of course.

ps. That Google Maps estimate of 11 hours.......... A couple of weeks ago I drove my car 110km from Winton to the Stampede on a good dirt road. It took about 90 minutes including stopping for pics. Wombattle or Skidoo would ride it at highway speeds.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
This ride might best fit a 3000/48 by the looks Ox. That would give me more time in the region in the daylight and in the operating time window at the Lark Quarry then onto a finish destination currently an Unknown element.

I could move my start location up the page a few hundred k's then Ive got wriggle room if say the muster was to be in Alice or Northern Qld.

All speculation but I do want to include Cork Station in the ride.
Cheers

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
https://goo.gl/maps/WL3PkKT1yVA2

Exit Armidale 03:00 to Barcaldine rest then out to Old Cork return to Winton in clockwise format then to Dalby.

Made best use of Ox34's info and redesigned the route and ride type to be in that location in the earlier part of day two to enjoy the place a bit.
Should work.
Now to design a route from se SA just in case.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
Hello, I am totally new here and I am about to plan a 2 in 1 ride with some freinds, so some of my questions may be a tad stupid, but I need to find out, so, what do I need to do to get our merry band started, do we need to send in a route and date of when we intend to do our run, or do we just do it and send it all in. What is require to be a witness? as some of our group will be travelling for a few days just to get to our starting point, and one of our finishing points, is not known to any of us, so how do we have a witness, other than our refueling docket.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Witnesses can be anybody not on the ride. If the route is an out and back, circular or bent then corner dockets are required as well.

A 2 in 1 ride? An unknown finishing point? You only know where you are starting?

Lots of other questions, later.

Gatey, that looks an interesting route.

Clive Rand

Premier Member
Sorry a bit of a mis read thing about finishing we are plnning to leave Colac in Vic, travel through Sydney and the first finishing point is Glen Innes, a townn none of us know, so finding a witness could be a challenge if we don't know the town, the second finish point is Rockhampton, Qld, I live here so finding a witness will be easy, you have told me who can be a witness, so that has made things fairly easy. the 2 in 1 ride is we are doing the saddlesore 1600, and the bun burner 2500 at the same time, if that makes any sense. we may have some of our group coming dow from Townsville to make it an interesting ride for us all.

tj189

Premier Member
Sorry a bit of a mis read thing about finishing we are plnning to leave Colac in Vic, travel through Sydney and the first finishing point is Glen Innes, a townn none of us know, so finding a witness could be a challenge if we don't know the town, the second finish point is Rockhampton, Qld, I live here so finding a witness will be easy, you have told me who can be a witness, so that has made things fairly easy. the 2 in 1 ride is we are doing the saddlesore 1600, and the bun burner 2500 at the same time, if that makes any sense. we may have some of our group coming dow from Townsville to make it an interesting ride for us all.
Clive, welcome.
Just had a quick look at what you have given us for a route. Running it through google maps it gives a distance of 1585km up to Glenn Innes which will be a bit short for a SS1600k. Adding the entire route gives a distance of 2497Km again a bit short for a 2500K run, always a good idea to add 20, 30km or more to your ride just to be on the safe side.
If you have not already, may I suggest having a good read through our website here http://www.ibaaustralia.com/rides-rules/ use the links on that page to check out the SS1600k and BB2500K an all the other rides that are available for future riding. You will find all the answers to your questions there.
Have a great and safe ride. Please let us know how it all goes.