A place to discuss your upcoming rides

Clive Rand

Premier Member
Clive, welcome.
Just had a quick look at what you have given us for a route. Running it through google maps it gives a distance of 1585km up to Glenn Innes which will be a bit short for a SS1600k. Adding the entire route gives a distance of 2497Km again a bit short for a 2500K run, always a good idea to add 20, 30km or more to your ride just to be on the safe side.
If you have not already, may I suggest having a good read through our website here http://www.ibaaustralia.com/rides-rules/ use the links on that page to check out the SS1600k and BB2500K an all the other rides that are available for future riding. You will find all the answers to your questions there.
Have a great and safe ride. Please let us know how it all goes.
https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/...b332e41!2m2!1d150.923552!2d-31.126219!1m0!3e0

This has indicated a tad over at 1625Km, but chalking extra few K's probably can't hurt. Then on the second part,

https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/...b25eebcc69e!2m2!1d150.505506!2d-23.397418!3e0

this adds 930Km so if we have different distances then I suppose I need to look at something that gets us over the line, because Google maps has indicated a total distace of 2555Km. the other thing that will probably cause me problems, and not something I can fix anytime soon is my speedo is a tad out as I have modified my bike and the rear wheel is a different size to original so when I complete the trip what are the measurements you will be looking for? my overall tyre height is only 17mm but over a long distance this can add up to a lot of a misread distance, this has put my speedo out as well, because it use to over read by 3Kph at 100Kph, eg my speedo use to read 100Kph when the GPS says I am travelling at 97Kph, now it under reads by 3 Kph at 100Kph, this means it is going the other way, if my speedo reads 100Kph, I am actually travelling at 103Kph, quickly working it out means if you are going to use my odometer reading rather than my map I will be around 850Km short of my mark.

tj189

Premier Member
https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/...b332e41!2m2!1d150.923552!2d-31.126219!1m0!3e0

This has indicated a tad over at 1625Km, but chalking extra few K's probably can't hurt. Then on the second part,

https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/...b25eebcc69e!2m2!1d150.505506!2d-23.397418!3e0

this adds 930Km so if we have different distances then I suppose I need to look at something that gets us over the line, because Google maps has indicated a total distace of 2555Km. the other thing that will probably cause me problems, and not something I can fix anytime soon is my speedo is a tad out as I have modified my bike and the rear wheel is a different size to original so when I complete the trip what are the measurements you will be looking for? my overall tyre height is only 17mm but over a long distance this can add up to a lot of a misread distance, this has put my speedo out as well, because it use to over read by 3Kph at 100Kph, eg my speedo use to read 100Kph when the GPS says I am travelling at 97Kph, now it under reads by 3 Kph at 100Kph, this means it is going the other way, if my speedo reads 100Kph, I am actually travelling at 103Kph, quickly working it out means if you are going to use my odometer reading rather than my map I will be around 850Km short of my mark.
There is the difference.... you have added to your route with other stops not just the three locations :) these will need to be documented as you will read in the links above. The tyre issue is one of the reasons why it is a good idea to go the extra distance.
Clive, please take the time to read the requirements and also have a read through any number of ride reports, also located on the IBA Australia web site, you will find some great information located there.

good luck.:)

Farkleit

Premier Member

id be trying something like this
https://www.google.com.br/maps/dir/...0x6ba18b9f1a26ad3b:0x4467c825fb843832!1m0!3e0
rather than trying to go through Melbourne and Sydney. Traffic kills the average speed.
Up the Newell you have 110 limit however yes there is wildlife so plan around Moree during the daytime not nighttime
if this is your first go at an IBA i would not be looking to combine two rides with multiple riders and getting your documentation correct.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
As Farleit has pointed out. City and even freeway is not at all conducive to good moving time value. Way too much stop start and as I posted earlier there are better ways to get the k's. Newell is one. Forget the faff about roos. Ive smashed the things on the hume the f3 and m1 and hit a dear at Toronto...on the damn overpass. So just get that freeway safeway concept out of your planning.

Google maps will on many occasions take you into the post office precinct of larger towns. it forms loops because it defaults to GPO offten. When your routing scroll down into the routes closely with the towns and you will be surprised at how often two three or more K's will be added in those loops. Renmark comes to mind as does Port Augusta Dubbo Shepperton and Horsham. Warwick in QLD too.
What I do is massage those locations via google to addapt to the main roads routes though such towns. Its has on accasion trimmed better than 20ks floss out of a route and got the thing back to reality for distance.
Get a simple etrex10 gps to log the route as its unfolding. Use its speedo and forget the tyre size thing all together. Its not an issue if your ready to pack say a further 30 to 50 ks actual distance on a google maps route. As a first hit out your basic ss16 should return by map 1630 to 1670 k's.
1610 will just not cut it.
And stretch that route string straight as possible. Minimise the corners keep them simple.

Hi all,
New to the site and looking for any advice for my first saddlesore 1600. I had planned to do the ride back in March of this year but it didn’t fall into place. so now I’m looking to complete around September when it’s better weather and longer day light.
The plan is to ride the 1600k in 24hours with the option to complete the 3000k in 48 if the body allows. If not then a few a days touring the south west on the way home is nothing to complain about.
I feel confident in my trip planning and riding capability but have a mental hurdle about riding the final leg of day one and start of day two in the dark and the possibility of a roo strike.
Can anyone share any tips from experience?

Here is the route for day one.
https://goo.gl/maps/Y5b5wWHtrnG2

Day two will be back to Norseman, south to Esperance, denmark and then north back to Perth.

Cheers

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Brownie it seems that you've picked some nice wide open roads featuring lots of 110km/h zones for your first SS1600K. That's good.

You don't say what time you plan starting, but I guess it is early eg 0400hr? I can understand your concerns regarding roo strike from Caiguna to BV in the dark.

I've ridden that section in the dark before with no problems, but I've also ridden that section in daylight and have been horrified at the number of fresh dead roos (from the night before?!?!) on display especially just west of Madura Pass.

Looking at your plan of 1612km my tip would be to find a few more (at least 20km) at the beginning somewhere. Border Village gives you no options if you find that you are a km or two short at the end of the day. Google maps helps when it comes to planning and checking, but the bike's odo and GPS readings are the main things the verification team have available to confirm the distance.

gus

I have done the Beechboro to Border village many times for the Border run in August and found the best time to leave Perth Metro is between midnight and 2am. this gets you to BV just on dusk and before skippy get really active.

My first BR I had trouble sleeping beforehand due to the anticipation of the ride so I left early (10.30pm) so you may need to change your sleeping habits the week before.

Dicky Knee

Hi Brownie,

A good plan (as Ox said), I have done the run Perth to Caiguna numerous times. I usually leave Mindarie around 4.00am, and because I happen to be riding with mates, the stops etc are somewhat longer (by the odd 15 - 30 minutes) than if I were to be solo and on the clock. Generally, we're in Caiguna by about 1730hrs.

As Ox said, you're leaving very little for interpretation by the adjudicator as to whether you have successfully completed the required kilometres.
An alternative is https://goo.gl/maps/6uku6WkQvbt1C2SGA

Yes, it is a couple of hundred klms longer, but the run down Albany Hwy would be fairly uneventful (except for a bit of skippy, but considerably more traffic for company), good roads and have you approaching Albany outskirts by sunrise.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the great feedback.
The plan is to leave the workshop around 2am, hit the servo up the road for the start receipt and then get a good portion of the night riding done while fresh and have give us a good chance of getting into BV with time to spare.
Good point Ox, I did think the total of 1,612 was a bit tight and thought of pushing the turn around point to the service center/fuel stop along Forrest Hwy West of Pinjarra. This will bump the total of 1,708km and a chance to get the required turn around receipt.
Thanks for the Alternative route Dicky Knee, i will have a good look into it over the weekend and run it past the guys on their thoughts. A few of us took a ride down to Denmark a couple of weeks ago and its a great ride.

Biggles

Premier Member
"The plan is to ride the 1600k in 24hours with the option to complete the 3000k in 48 if the body allows."

Just a thought regarding that: for your first SS1600 I think the mental preparation and situation during the ride is vital, and so having a "variable focus" won't help you get through the tough bits of the SS1600. I have a couple of points during any SS- the first around dawn and the next around 2:30pm. Being able to focus on the percentage completed and yet to ride helps get over those humps. Having a second distance beyond 1600+ would mess with that- for me, anyway.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ive been intent on posting a wildlife warning for a few weeks now. Ive left it a week to give me time to confirm in my own time the number of roo hits on the Waterfall Way.. Can I just bring to your attention the stretch of road inclusive of Ebore as far west as Armidale.
Please be aware that road kill rates per 100 meters is as high as five roo units.
Thats thick.
My observations indicate these hits are across all hours of the 24 hour cycle.

Data is based on 24/7 day cycles morning's midday's and evenings inward and outbound trips on that stretch of the Waterfall Way
Its very saddening to see so many roos just being smashed.
They are hungry and thirsty.

Its as bad as anything we may have seen in our rides in outside country but now thats occurring on inside country.
Please take note.

Ed.

Premier Member
Roos are stupidly thick all all sorts of unexpected places at the moment for exactly the reasons Gatey mentions. A few weeks ago the Cunningham hwy just west of Warrick was like nothing I have ever seen before with carcasses every 10m or 20m and even literally stacked on top of each other in a couple of spots. Just a slaughter house.

I would also suggest some riders rides are going to be divisive due to the ride length or parameters. Cue the 3k day furore.
I have four rides equally as impossible..to most.
I sit here in my shed surrounded by the bikes and work on building my next ld machine. There is a dream, some bourbon and a lot of bespoke engineering. Take the 'e' out of fear and you'll go far.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
A notable observation.
I have not seen anything other than John G and Clints ride vidio to the Border Run this year.
No mention here, no rrs or ride plans or in fact anything on any other forum.
My last cast into that topic bought many many heated responces from members of a non LDR site.
What has happened to the BR?
It happened this year and that's all I know.