"ACT Insanity" Ride Planned (June)

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
There is a very good reason to reverse the route, traffic flow in the morning and afternoon may vary in direction. Don't know if we are allowed to reverse route though?

But being on a weekend, this may not impact as a ride during the week.

Fatman

There is a very good reason to reverse the route, traffic flow in the morning and afternoon may vary in direction. Don't know if we are allowed to reverse route though?

But being on a weekend, this may not impact as a ride during the week.

I thought that going anti clockwise may have less time at right hand turn lanes and have more "turn left with care" lanes. But I don't know the course well enough to know.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
I thought that going anti clockwise may have less time at right hand turn lanes and have more "turn left with care" lanes. But I don't know the course well enough to know.
When I attempted the ride a few years ago, it was anticlockwise for the inner night time loops. That loop was very similar to the proposed route, except I had an out and back to Williamsdale included. It would add about 40km, of mostly 100km/h of highway to the route.

spanner

I kinda feel sad that it is not 21 laps of Canberra ...... 21 has a certain 'gravitas' about as opposed to 20.

But then again I am not riding this at this stage.

Olaf .... pm sent.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
First for those who have asked about the actual route, you can see the map here. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/actinsanity/
We are sticking to that one, as it was the original. It varies very slightly as there is now a new Majura Parkway down past the airport. The same applies to the number of laps. I am more interested in the distance which must be greater than 1610km as per an SS1600. This will be tough enough as it is, with cold weather and very restrictive speed limits, controlled by a 152 camera locations! Part of the reason for making it winter, was a) practise for those of us going to the IBR and b) to somewhat restrict or self restrict the number of riders to something manageable. Currently it is at 14, which is more than enough. If we did this ride in spring we might have 40 and that would be a management nightmare.

IBA-Tiger

"I suspect you're not helping, Bill."
Well, technically I will be, but.....
If I can't ride, I wanna make it hard for the silly buggers who are!!

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The route submitted by Ollie per lap is 83.1Km.

Please direct any questions to Ollie.
The route is all good and agreed guys. Here is my reply to be clear-
Michael
Good question. Yes, I submitted the route with the Tharwa Drive section included (but not south to Williamsdale) and via the new Majura Parkway, and this was the approved one. (Note it would be possible to ride the old Majura Lane but it would be very slow). Their measurement using Google Maps was the same as yours and mine; 83.1km that makes 20 laps. They are happy with that - they note it is "my route" and I accept that. I rode it and my Harley odo said 84.6km, so either way, 20 laps is fine. All they ask is that each rider can prove that they rode the distance > than 1610 and that every lap is signed for. I will ride clockwise unless there becomes a very real reason to reverse a lap or two. There will indeed be some busy times on Saturday morning.