"ACT Insanity" Ride Planned (June)

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Olaf, sent you a pm a while ago, but if there is anything the support crews need support with then let me know. I'll be around from early afternoon on saturday.
1. hot chocolates on hourly rotation
2. more clothing for those who surely wont bring enough
3. a bunch of those orange safety cones to hide a MONSTER pothole on the entrance to the gas station (tho there are a couple out looking to "borrow" some now)

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I re-rode the route last night, to test out my non-electrical gear.
1. It was fine for one lap, but multi-lap is going to be a definite challenge.
2. My new tires are now scrubbed in - somewhat.
3. The ride time on Google Maps is 1 hour 7 minutes. I managed 1 hour 2 minutes, but that did include a large number of red lights - these are definitely a finisher hazard.
4. The route is easy to find. EXCEPT for one left turn immediately after a very large sign saying "Belconnen West". If you miss this corner, there is almost no-where to do a U Turn for - miles and miles.....
5. Somewhere on the ACT Government website there is a list of camera-car locations for the weekend. I haven't found it yet, but will keep looking.
6. The 16th rider has joined.
7. And one crazy wants to do an SS2000.
8. This is definitely going to be laugh-a-minute!

Last edited:

Fatman

4. The route is easy to find. EXCEPT for one left turn immediately after a very large sign saying "Belconnen West". If you miss this corner, there is almost no-where to do a U Turn for - miles and miles.....
Olly which intersection does this relate to??

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From Olly's description it looks like this one Michael, remembering that Olly is planning a clockwise route.

Travelling north on the Tuggeranong Parkway looking at the Telstra Tower on Black Mountain, approaching the Glenloch Interchange take the left:

Here's the location:

Ed.

Premier Member
1. hot chocolates on hourly rotation
2. more clothing for those who surely wont bring enough
3. a bunch of those orange safety cones to hide a MONSTER pothole on the entrance to the gas station (tho there are a couple out looking to "borrow" some now)
1. The support crew can get their own hot choccy- there's a shop right there and they will have nothing to do between each lap.
2. I won't have any spare clothing, I'll be wearing all I own myself.
3. If the pothole is that big then everyone ought to be able to see it and besides the first couple of fluoro wearers that ride into it will get stuck and the tops of their heads will mark it nicely for everyone else.

Fatman

From Olly's description it looks like this one Michael, remembering that Olly is planning a clockwise route.

Travelling north on the Tuggeranong Parkway looking at the Telstra Tower on Black Mountain, approaching the Glenloch Interchange take the left:
]
Thanks Ox, got it

Ed.

Premier Member
Glenloch interchange is diabolical. For those that have read Good Omens, M25 was merely Crowley's warmup.

It has given rise to my theory that the ACT road designer is some self-important kid straight out of undergrad that has always wanted to design some mega-motorway interchange...but all the had to work with was the Tuggeranong parkway.

You have been warned.

SimonB

Premier Member
That's the roadway OX - Glenloch Interchange. It can be confusing.

Riders will need to exit left off Tuggeranong Parkway and then stay left because the road splits in two, the left lanes merge and take you to West Belconnen (that's where you want to go) and the right lane goes into the city (that's not where you want to go, though there are a few nice Thai restaurants there). You don't have much time to make a choice.

If you stay on Tuggeranong Parkway you'll end up on Gunghalin Drive, which is a nice road, but you don't want to be on it! As Olly said, you wont be able to turn for sometime. If you end up in the city, it's a bigger detour.

I rode the route mid afternoon on Saturday. Took 1 hour 8 minutes with a 1 minute stop at the Caltex in Hume (to simulate recording my odo). I held the speed limits and there was a bit of traffic about.

The route south on the Majura Parkway, which becomes the Monaro Highway is the main thoroughfare for traffic heading to the snow from Sydney. So it'll be busy and well policed.

It's going to be a great ride.

Thanks to Olly for organising.

Skidoo

Premier Member
CMC and Joes are just off the route. What's another half an hour or forty five minutes?
I've had a tyre change in a previous BB2500, no biggy.
Thanks Ed.
'No biggie .....' so true, tyre changes are becoming regular practice during rides, recently Dave and myself had tyre changes during a 50C and still had time for a Big Mac :D

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Thanks Peter, I'm planning to get a look at this Friday afternoon.

Simon, thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

Now the question is, will there be more traffic on the long weekend, due to influx of visitors, or less, do to exit of the residents?

Russell, there are a couple of other 24 hour fuel outlets on the route, just sayin'.

Ed.

Premier Member
Speaking of Madura Parkway, weekend traffic, enforcement, and speed camera locations, a favoured spot is just where you come of the new bridge near the turf farm...big open, slightly downhill new good condition double lane road. It is a 90 zone...

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are two other gas stations on the route itself. Both are on Northbourne Ave, heading north. The Woolworths Caltex is on the left before the round-about and speed camera, and the BP is on the right (turn right AT the roundabout).

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Here's the location:

Yes, this is the one. It is confusing because of two things - the TO to the National Zoo comes up first and b) the actual turnoff is concealed behind the sign to West Belconnen, particularly challenging at night if you dont know it.