Adding a pillion to a cert ride?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I don't believe I have ever heard of this, though I'm sure it has happened in the past...I'm just posing the question in this case as an example.

Point "A" is ~250 miles from home - let's call point "B" home.

Point "C" is ~520 miles - in the opposite direction from point "A".

For the rider to claim a SS1000 ride, the rider must go from point "B" to the point "A" turn around with proper documentation and head back to point "B".

If the rider was to obtain a pillion at point "B" and continue to point "C" to complete the ride, it's obvious that only the rider can lay claim to the SS1000.

For the sake of the log, if an entry was made "12:43 [mileage] added pillion and continued the ride", would that be sufficient?

Obviously, the pillion can't 'assist' the rider in executing the ride from the time they become part of that ride.

I'm just wondering what established protocol there may be in the case of a situation like this.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I don't believe I have ever heard of this, though I'm sure it has happened in the past...I'm just posing the question in this case as an example.

Point "A" is ~250 miles from home - let's call point "B" home.

Point "C" is ~520 miles - in the opposite direction from point "A".

For the rider to claim a SS1000 ride, the rider must go from point "B" to the point "A" turn around with proper documentation and head back to point "B".

If the rider was to obtain a pillion at point "B" and continue to point "C" to complete the ride, it's obvious that only the rider can lay claim to the SS1000.

For the sake of the log, if an entry was made "12:43 [mileage] added pillion and continued the ride", would that be sufficient?

Obviously, the pillion can't 'assist' the rider in executing the ride from the time they become part of that ride.

I'm just wondering what established protocol there may be in the case of a situation like this.
You're of course correct about the pillion not being eligible for the SS1K certificate. And if your stop was less than 30 minutes, you don't have to log it at all. Other than that, you can annotate the ride log any way you wish - it's the time for which we want you to account. So yes, what you suggest would be sufficient.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association