Adding additional info on receipts

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Not exactly clear on this, but why are we now required to write the bike's odometer reading on receipts when the photograph has to already clearly show it (the bike's odometer)? Also, referencing it on Google Maps? I can understand circling the date and time but not the others.

This is news to me.....???

Just recently turned in a SS1000 and just submitted copies of fuel receipts and pics of receipts next to odometer. Never wrote on any of the receipts. It was approved and just got my certificate in the mail

SharkGlide, how long ago did you turn in your SS1000 certification packet? I did a SS1000 nested in a BB1500/36. They received the packet a month ago, of that I know from the USPS receipt, but they haven't cashed the check yet. Just wondering. I look at the certified list, but it hasn't been updated for quite awhile, listing 6/3/2018 finishers.

Sent it on July 9th via USPS priority mail along with a Money Order. Received an email the evening of July 31st confirming that my ride was certified. The certificate and other paperwork/items arrived on the 7th of August

Sent mine also USPS Priority mail on July 22, but only have the receipt from the USPS that it was received a few days later. Haven't had any emails and no check cashed. Maybe I'll follow up on it.

I was told it can take up to 3 months on average. I think I got lucky and got mine in at the right time???It hasn’t even been a month since you mailed it in so I would give it some more time.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's a habit many of us who ride in rallies get into. Also comes in handy if the odometer is hard to read in the photo

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
From the IBA's Premier Ride Application page:
--Must submit forms and documents electronically - (that means, scan or take a picture of your receipts and forms). Documents must be neat, legible and readable. Receipts should be labeled with your motorcycle odometer reading and Google Map reference. [emphasis added]
There was also an email sent about 1-2 months ago with this information and some other changes. For instance, the ride app would ask for the PayPal payment number, but now they want the actual, "physical" receipt (copy). If you're a Premier member and electronically submit a ride, an email opens with questions for you to answer. These have also slightly changed.

I was told it can take up to 3 months on average. I think I got lucky and got mine in at the right time???It hasn’t even been a month since you mailed it in so I would give it some more time.
Will do. I had read about the 2-3 months, but seeing yours was so close to mine and received quickly, I was concerned there was no confirming email or check clearing. I'll be patient, just like counting the mile markers to the next fuel stop.

It's a habit many of us who ride in rallies get into. Also comes in handy if the odometer is hard to read in the photo
That makes sense

I took a pic of each receipt next to my odometer then when I got home downloaded to a usb. Then I took it to Staples and printed out full page sized pictures of each receipt next to the odometer. I wanted to make sure everything was Visible and leave nothing to chance!!!

For those talking about waiting 2-3 months waiting for their ride certification, why not just pony up $40 and become a Premier member and get those done in 2 weeks? You can also submit your ride documentation electronically.

For those talking about waiting 2-3 months waiting for their ride certification, why not just pony up $40 and become a Premier member and get those done in 2 weeks? You can also submit your ride documentation electronically.
I pay the $40 as recognition for all things done by the IBA and associated costs - not so much for expedited certification. To me the biggest advantage is not having to get a witness signature; but even that was never an issue. For the rides I decide to submit for certification (I don't submit every SS I ride - only if the theme or context is different); the waiting time doesn't really bother me or slow me down from planning the next ride.

Anyhow guys, before this thread gets carried away, we are not here to discuss the finer points of ride application submission or witness bribery, but to get an answer to the original question. TIA

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
From the IBA's Premier Ride Application page:
--Must submit forms and documents electronically - (that means, scan or take a picture of your receipts and forms). Documents must be neat, legible and readable. Receipts should be labeled with your motorcycle odometer reading and Google Map reference.

There was also an email sent about 1-2 months ago with this information and some other changes. For instance, the ride app would ask for the PayPal payment number, but now they want the actual, "physical" receipt (copy). If you're a Premier member and electronically submit a ride, an email opens with questions for you to answer. These have also slightly changed.
There is quite a difference between should and shall.

Anyhow guys, before this thread gets carried away, we are not here to discuss the finer points of ride application submission or witness bribery, but to get an answer to the original question. TIA
I am answering the question you posted regarding the value of Premier Membership as not all of us are paying $40 for shortened certification turnaround time. The original email we received from Mike in Jan of 2017 explaining the new process did not explicitly indicate including odometer reading on the receipt; however, it was included on the reference photo. As I have come to understand - writing your odometer reading and reference number from your rider log entry (which should match your route) helps the individual verifying the ride to more quickly complete validation which ultimately results in a quicker turn-around-time. Hence to Stephen's point - there is a difference between should and "required" which you wrote in the first question. As Howard (who leads the Premier Cert Team) has explained previously - members of the Cert team will set aside submissions that have missing information or take longer to verify to follow-up with later to avoid a backlog. As a collective - anything we do to help the volunteer certification team to more quickly complete the process - helps all of us. If you do not want to write the odometer reading on your receipts - then don't. At this time it is not "required". Hopefully that answers the question.

I am answering the question you posted regarding the value of Premier Membership as not all of us are paying $40 for shortened certification turnaround time. The original email we received from Mike in Jan of 2017 explaining the new process did not explicitly indicate including odometer reading on the receipt; however, it was included on the reference photo. As I have come to understand - writing your odometer reading and reference number from your rider log entry (which should match your route) helps the individual verifying the ride to more quickly complete validation which ultimately results in a quicker turn-around-time. Hence to Stephen's point - there is a difference between should and "required" which you wrote in the first question. As Howard (who leads the Premier Cert Team) has explained previously - members of the Cert team will set aside submissions that have missing information or take longer to verify to follow-up with later to avoid a backlog. As a collective - anything we do to help the volunteer certification team to more quickly complete the process - helps all of us. If you do not want to write the odometer reading on your receipts - then don't. At this time it is not "required". Hopefully that answers the question.

I NEVER asked a question about the value of having a Premier membership and I don't care what the motives are for someone having one. I started this thread and in typical fashion, people started chiming in with replies that had ZERO to do with the ORIGINAL QUESTION. These replies were focused on the 2-3 month wait time for receiving a certification and the method of sending one in.

I then posted a direct quote from the IBA page on how an application should be completed and I get an reply telling me that there's a difference between "shall" and "should".

Now I see a response stating that writing the odometer reading on a receipt isn't "required", with a reference to the email Mike sent out in January. HOWEVER, according to that very same email...

DO…send the pictures of your gas receipts and odometer readings. You may attach each pic to the email application, or put all of the pics in a pdf file. BUT BE SURE that the pics are legible. Please circle the date and time on each receipt, and include your odometer reading on each receipt.
[emphasis added]

Again, my question is...Why do we need to write the odometer reading on a receipt when we are already required to have that reading clearly showing in a photograph?

I'm really confused what is the issue? You asked a question "Not exactly clear on this, but why are we now required to write the bike's odometer reading on receipts when the photograph has to already clearly show it (the bike's odometer)? Also, referencing it on Google Maps? I can understand circling the date and time but not the others". Where does it say the rider is "required" to write the odometer reading on the receipt? I have only read should which I interpret as it will help streamline the certification process. The premise of your question indicates something has recently changed. I did not write the email said it was not required; I wrote it was not specifically addressed. However, like all new processes; the Premier application process has been evolving. And BTW - you do not have to be a Premier member to submit electronically. If you wanted a limited answer to a question regarding submission without input from others - it might have been better to have sent a PM to Ira or Mike versus posting on the forum.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Not exactly clear on this, but why are we now required to write the bike's odometer reading on receipts when the photograph has to already clearly show it (the bike's odometer)? Also, referencing it on Google Maps? I can understand circling the date and time but not the others.
The receipt angle has been beat up, I'll take on the second half of the query...

As part of the questions asked in conjunction with an application, it does ask for which program(s) were used to determine the miles ridden.

Back in the olden days (like, before GMaps), you had off-line mapping (Microsoft S&T) as well as rudimentary on-line mapping (remember Mapquest?) sources.

In fact, I'd bet that there are still people out there that don't ride with a GPS on the bike. Therefore, they're thinking they have a SS1000 of 1022 miles, they mapped it out as 1012 miles, yet the bike had a uncalculated +4% odometer error. Oops.

This is a small group of motorcycle enthusiasts that help us all enjoy the pastime of long distance riding. It's probably in our best interest to do as much as possible (in lieu of doing as little as possible) while doing the ride to facilitate the process at the end of the ride.