Adding additional info on receipts

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
This isn't law school...
Oh.... Then I guess that means there isn't a difference between should and shall?

Tell you what, rather than asking a question on a public forum then bitching about the responses you get, why not just send a private message and wait for a response and leave the rest of us out of your drama...

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On my receipts I write down the following.

Mileage
Time
Day or Night ( yea I know I can tell by the time of day )
Temperature
Weather ( rain, cloudy, fog, etc... )

I use all of this data when I create my ride log.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
On my receipts I write down the following.

Mileage
Time
Day or Night ( yea I know I can tell by the time of day )
Temperature
Weather ( rain, cloudy, fog, etc... )

I use all of this data when I create my ride log.
I often tell people I don't have OCD, I have CDO because that is in alphabetical order.

I think I have met my match...

Oh.... Then I guess that means there isn't a difference between should and shall?

Tell you what, rather than asking a question on a public forum then bitching about the responses you get, why not just send a private message and wait for a response and leave the rest of us out of your drama...
You know what?- You have zero reading comprehension. I quoted two sources that state that the rider is to write the bike's odometer reading on the receipt and you can't seem to get that through your head. Also, no one forced you into this. You choose to be here.

I am not against helping the volunteers certify these rides; I have a legit question as to why the odometer reading needs to be put on the receipt when pictures showing the odometer reading (along with the receipt), are already required.

You know what, Scott and Stephen!,?- You have zero reading comprehension. I quoted two sources that state that the rider is to write the bike's odometer reading on the receipt and you can't seem to get that through your head. Also, no one forced you into this. You choose to be here.

I am not against helping the volunteers certify these rides; I have a legit question as to why the odometer reading needs to be put on the receipt when pictures showing the odometer reading (along with the receipt), are already required.

Last edited:
On a SS 1600k I did not write the odo numbers on the 7 receipts. On my 48/10, writing the odo numbers on the receipts made it a lot easier to sort out the 90+ receipts over multiple days after the fact. Having the receipts in a clear order can't hurt when a volunteer has to spend their time verifying.
And I agree with that. I number each receipt to correspond with a particular stop, I circle the DTG on them, put it all into the log, and then photograph the numbered receipt with the bike's and the GPS' odometers showing. Was numbering them not required before and now they want the odometer reading on the receipt in order to sort through everything? I haven't been here 20 years like some have, so I am still settling in.

Attachments

The receipt angle has been beat up, I'll take on the second half of the query...

As part of the questions asked in conjunction with an application, it does ask for which program(s) were used to determine the miles ridden.

Back in the olden days (like, before GMaps), you had off-line mapping (Microsoft S&T) as well as rudimentary on-line mapping (remember Mapquest?) sources.

In fact, I'd bet that there are still people out there that don't ride with a GPS on the bike. Therefore, they're thinking they have a SS1000 of 1022 miles, they mapped it out as 1012 miles, yet the bike had a uncalculated +4% odometer error. Oops.

This is a small group of motorcycle enthusiasts that help us all enjoy the pastime of long distance riding. It's probably in our best interest to do as much as possible (in lieu of doing as little as possible) while doing the ride to facilitate the process at the end of the ride.

What I was meaning to get at is the use of the term referencing. When I get a receipt, I number it, circle the DTG, enter it into the log, and photograph it. When I get home, I create a Google Maps route of what I rode with these stops specifically listed in the itinerary. That's all, correct?

You know what, Scott and Stephen!,?- You have zero reading comprehension. I quoted two sources that state that the rider is to write the bike's odometer reading on the receipt and you can't seem to get that through your head. Also, no one forced you into this. You choose to be here.

Thanks for looping me on a duplicate post. I have a different interpretation of what I read than you; however, since I shared an opinion contrary to yours - I have "zero reading comprehension". Classy move.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
And I agree with that. I number each receipt to correspond with a particular stop, I circle the DTG on them, put it all into the log, and then photograph the numbered receipt with the bike's and the GPS' odometers showing. Was numbering them not required before and now they want the odometer reading on the receipt in order to sort through everything? I haven't been here 20 years like some have, so I am still settling in.
Seven years for me in this organization, and the 'mileage on the receipt' trick seems to be much newer than that.

Some genius before me figured out that it's a great way to identify time, place, location. Another genius after that began the picture taking trick.

DSCN1925T_S.png

I did one additional step...

The image is stamped with (home) date and time...which then ties into the log - right-hand column.

LogSheetSnip.PNG

Log? Log is assembled *after* the ride is done. It took longer to review each photo and verify it was readable and crop them than it did everything else.

When I first started filling these apps out, I would put everything in a shared folder online; it would have all of the paperwork and the metadata for each picture would tell everything about it- simply clicking on the picture and looking up the data would actually pull-up a map on Google to confirm where it was taken. Apparently, other people were doing something similar, but they weren't "sharing" the folder correctly and the volunteers couldn't access the items, so word came from up high that this method was not allowed. Now, I gather all of the documents (including the photos), and put them in one PDF.

Now for the "logging" part. I bring a log sheet with me and jot in the information. I don't worry about the exact address because the receipt has it and I also pre-plan my fuel stops. The handwriting is atrocious but it's a backup to the backup to the backup. When I get home, I get another sheet and fill it out nice and neat. I don't really "race" through a stop because it gives me time to stretch the legs, eat, refill bottles, etc.