Aerostitch question

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just ordered my darien jacket and ad1 pants, there is a 10 to 12 week wait on the jacket, I want the high viz and got the pants in grey, got the back protector and emergency contact accessories, I've wanted aerostitch riding gear for a long time, can't wait to get it.
I am sure you will be happy with your new gear from Aerostich. The jacket will take a few thousand miles to break in. Both are very waterproof.

I'm on my second set of elk skin ropers. Absolutely super gloves from about 60-65 degrees on up. Planning on getting the insulated gauntlets for "winter" here in Prescott Valley AZ.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I use snowmobile gloves in the winter with silk inserts or first gear heated inserts, I got the competition ropers and love them, I wish I could have my new riding gear before my grand canyon trip next month.

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I love the folks at Aerostitch and they have great customer service but a lot depends on your build. If you're more of a rectangular shape, Aerostitch is great. If you're more a square-ish build, they just don't fit. (Yes, I did the pilgrimage but, alas, came away empty handed....)

I've had good luck with First Gear TPG D30 gear. It's their most expensive level with the highest technologies but, if you get previous year versions the prices actually get down towards the reasonable range.

BTW, Durango Gloves (out of Farmington, NM) has really nice elk skin ropers for reasonable prices. I like the elk because they're extremely supple, warm in winter, breathe in summer, and are semi-waterproof (especially when treated with Nor-V-Gen) in all but the most torrential down-pours.

Last edited:

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I love the folks at Aerostitch and they have great customer service but a lot depends on your build. If you're more of a rectangular shape, Aerostitch is great. If you're more a square-ish build, they just don't fit. (Yes, I did the pilgrimage but, alas, came away empty handed....)

I've had good luck with First Gear TPG D30 gear. It's their most expensive level with the highest technologies but, if you get previous year versions the prices actually get down towards the reasonable range.

BTW, Durango Gloves (out of Farmington, NM) has really nice elk skin ropers for reasonable prices. I like the elk because they're extremely supple, warm in winter, breathe in summer, and are semi-waterproof (especially when treated with Nor-V-Gen) in all but the most torrential down-pours.
I'm 6'1 I fluctuate between 175 and 180, do i hope I'm ok, I sent them my measurements and they told me what sizes to order.

General info for anyone ordering a suit...

I made the trip (1100 miles one way) to the store to get measured for an R3 suit. I spent about 2.5 hours getting measured, trying suits, etc. and when I was done I felt pretty good about the whole thing. Fast forward 3 weeks, and the suit arrived. It fit like a headless horseman costume, because the torso was about 7" too long. Service-wise I had no issues, as they were willing to do anything up to and including making me another suit, as they can't make the torso shorter. Having been there in person to be fit and seeing the result, I wasn't confident that I could somehow do better over the phone, so I gave up.

The general idea I think is that if you're a standard sized person who typically fits easily into off-the-rack stuff, you'll be ok. I'm 6'3" 260, with (and this is the odd part) a shortish 32" inseam and a longer-than-average torso. So even though that's my shape, I think the multiple alterations got away from them, and the result was a failure. As always, YMMV.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
What do you guys use for a liner under your aerostitch jacket and pants? The liners from the company are over $200, I hope there is another alternative.

My jacket and pants are KLIM, but it amounts to the same thing.

Nothing is worn under the KLIM, it's all in perfect working order :D

On a more serious note ... LD Comfort, shirt and pants. Add electric liner when cold. Apart from that .... nothing.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I don't know if I'm looking at the right klim, but all I see is stuff for snow, I looked up dealers and the closest ones are in traverse city and one in Iowa and both say snow, aerostitch is pretty much straight forward, I have no idea what I'm looking at with klim.

KLIM has two ranges suitable for LD Riding ... Badlands Pro and Lattitude. Both are two-piece, and both expensive.

A Badlands suit comes in around $1600, and the Lattitude a little better at around $1100

John Z

Premier Member
What do you guys use for a liner under your aerostitch jacket and pants? The liners from the company are over $200, I hope there is another alternative.
Depending on the outside air temperature, I wear shorts or jeans or jeans with sweats on top of them. Under the jacket is a T shirt, and a heated jacket if required.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
KLIM has two ranges suitable for LD Riding ... Badlands Pro and Lattitude. Both are two-piece, and both expensive.

A Badlands suit comes in around $1600, and the Lattitude a little better at around $1100
I will stick to aerostitch, I am getting my jacket and pants next month hopefully, they have military discount, I have a pair of their gloves and am very impressed with their customer service, I almost chocked when I seen the klim price lol

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rodney,
I have the same combo now wish I had jumped for the pants a long time ago. My Darien is now 11+ years old, faded and dirty looking, hi vis, but works in the cold and vents better than any jacket I have tried before.
Living in the southwest I can't get excited about mesh gear as the temperatures gets and stay too hot. The hot air on your skin, if it's above 93', puts more heat in than it takes out. LDComfort under your new gear. Electrics for cold, wet the LD stuff for hot.
That out to stir the pot.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Rodney,
I have the same combo now wish I had jumped for the pants a long time ago. My Darien is now 11+ years old, faded and dirty looking, hi vis, but works in the cold and vents better than any jacket I have tried before.
Living in the southwest I can't get excited about mesh gear as the temperatures gets and stay too hot. The hot air on your skin, if it's above 93', puts more heat in than it takes out. LDComfort under your new gear. Electrics for cold, wet the LD stuff for hot.
That out to stir the pot.
I've been looking at the ld stuff, I took a trip to the grand canyon this summer and couldn't believe how hot it was all the way down, I use a mesh jacket and it felt like a furnace, I think we hit every sonic off the interstate, park the bike in the shade and grab an icy, I've read nothing but good reviews on the ld stuff so it's on my Christmas list:)