All the gear no idea!

RobS

RBLR1000 2022 Seen that they are looking for extra riders on this hoping to get a record number. I'm interested and have done loads of 200 / 300 mile none stop rides over the years but never considered doing a 1000 mile ride. Also not been riding much in the last 2 years as I am a high covid risk during lockdown. So at 68 (and been riding since 1969) have I got time to get in shape for this? How often do you lot ride 500+ miles in a day? and how did you train for your first 1000 miler?

EddyC

IBA Member
Imho, getting in shape means preparing your body, mind, gear, ride , bike, etc, for the upcoming task.
Whether you are in shape or not, depends on the circumstances of place and time.
You could discover your personal "being in shape or not" status by simply getting on your bike and ride.
If you have doubts, plan a circular ride of a challenging distance, keeping your home somewhat in the middle.
That way, if something should not feel comfortable, your home should not be far to ride to, should you decide to throw in the towel.
If all goes well, expand the circle and do it again.
Either way, you'll soon know where you stand and you could project that feeling and experience to the upcoming 1000 miler.
I guess, at the end, you'll know best if you are up to it, or not.
Stay safe..
Ed.

RobS

Imho, getting in shape means preparing your body, mind, gear, ride , bike, etc, for the upcoming task.
Whether you are in shape or not, depends on the circumstances of place and time.
You could discover your personal "being in shape or not" status by simply getting on your bike and ride.
If you have doubts, plan a circular ride of a challenging distance, keeping your home somewhat in the middle.
That way, if something should not feel comfortable, your home should not be far to ride to, should you decide to throw in the towel.
If all goes well, expand the circle and do it again.
Either way, you'll soon know where you stand and you could project that feeling and experience to the upcoming 1000 miler.
I guess, at the end, you'll know best if you are up to it, or not.
Stay safe..
Ed.
Thanks Eddy I'm sure about my bike a riding gear being up to the task It's me that needs knocking into shape. For years my day long riding has been limited by my wife 300 is all she would plan to ride her bike, going to S France etc. we would always stop half way for a night. I think the round rides are a good idea. I suppose you need to do loads of fast riding to get the mileage so a good deal on the motorways is required. Do you have big problems with 50mph average speed limits that are all over the place these days?

Firstpeke

You don't have to ride 1000 miles, there are two 500 mile routes also!

You can take it a little easier, make your stops a little longer... enjoy the ride and don't push yourself too hard!

EddyC

IBA Member
I think it is not about speed, it's about proper organisation.
If you practise your stops for fuel etc. you could gain valuable time needed for riding.
As far as I understand, you can choose one from six routes and ride on your own, or with friends.
Do what suits you best, after all, it is you who has to do the riding.
Priority number one: try to have a good time, making the distance is only the second goal...
For me, it's about the ride, not about the destination.

Ed.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I think it is not about speed, it's about proper organisation.
That part is worth emphasis. It is perfectly attainable to do 1000 miles in a day on proper roads. You don't need to ride recklessly fast at all, you just need to not stop. You won't do it on winding little back roads, but it's absolutely possible on motorways.

I'm of the mindset that you learn best by doing. As has been discussed on this forum many times, at some point you just have to set out, find out what your limitations are, adjust you or the bike accordingly, and try again.

Pick motorways, keep your fuel stops short (and I do mean short, like 5-7 minutes max), and with a little bit of luck you can do your first SS1000 in about 18 hours. Or at least I did.

agreed with all the above 1000 miles is achievable in a day and fast riding is a misconception that many believe. its about keeping up a good average speed over a longer period. fast riding has two fairly critical downsides it tires you quicker and it eats more fuel hence you stop more, slowing your average speed down. good open roads and avoiding congestion helps so a good plan to start with.

is your body up to it? well only you can answer that go out and try a few longer runs see how you get on don't eat large meals or stop for coffee quick short breaks light snacks etc. keep hydrated.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Only you will know if you're fit to ride 1,000 miles in one day, if at any time you feel too tired to continue there is no shame in taking an extended break or dropping out. As mentioned above the biggest time thief is the stopping, combine the fuel, comfort and refreshment stops and keep them to a minimum and you'll be fine. The RBLR1000 routes are roughly a 50:50 split between motorway and A roads. It's not a race, there's no need to speed, 70 in the 70's and 50 in the 50's should see you back at Squires well before midnight, some numbers...

1,000 miles in 24 hours is an average of 42mph, averaging 70mph on the motorways and 50mph on the A roads you should cover the 1,000 miles in 17 hours but you'll need some stops. If you plan for 8 stops and keep these down to a maximum of 7½ minutes each you'll complete the ride in 18 hours. Aim for 8 stops at 7½ minutes then even if you over stay and end up with 8 stops at 15 minutes you're still completing the ride in 19 hours.

Good luck

RobS

Thanks for the replies when I said "I suppose you need to do loads of fast riding to get the mileage so a good deal on the motorways is required" I was not talking about riding faster than the speed limit's. Off the motorway I was thinking there is a good chance of being held up by slow moving traffic (I'm not one for blasting past slow traffic) so this time might be made up on motorways / dual carriageways going at 70 for as long it is safe and possible. I'm an old rider not a bold rider. From your timings it sounds like taking any extended rest stops are not normal. I was thinking that as the aim was to finish within 24 hours and nav programs put the time at 20 ish hours it's possible to rest for 2 or 3 hours. Maybe I am looking at this challenge differently than the norm.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Keep in mind that sat nav estimates are for rolling time. Don't forget to factor in the time you're going to spend time stopped as a matter of course.

For example, let's say that you can get a reliable 200 miles out of every tank. That means that you're going to stop on the road 4 times just for fuel. If you're inexperienced and it takes you 30 minutes for each stop because you want to fuel up, take off your helmet, go walk around and stretch your legs, go inside and use the bathroom, buy a snack, etc., then you're looking at 2 hours in fuel stops alone.

Since this is your first time, it's more likely that you're going to need/want to stop more frequently, so that number will change.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Rather, I'm trying to illustrate how there are "time sinks" that you're going to encounter that will vary on your endurance, bike range, traffic, or other factors. It's the kind of thing that you won't really understand until you try, and figure out what your particular bottlenecks are.

Be prudent in your planning, but at some point you have to just go and do it. That's really how you'll learn.

DangerDarren

Totally agree with above. From my experience you just need to get out there and put some long days in. I'm am definitely not physically fit, but with practise I learned how to optimise things like stopping, getting gloves on/off, keep good average speed (not speeding), and moving around on bike so as to not get so stiff & numb. On the plus side its a great excuse for a long ride with some like-minded people.
Darren.

Ian M

the aim is to finish in 23 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds, no one gets a prize for finishing at 11.05pm when you set off at 5.00am.
if you want to take fifteen minutes or even half an hour here and there then do so - its supposed to be enjoyable

tesco pay at pump is your friend

my mistake i tend to think about doing a thousand miles in one session. yes you have a full 23hours 59 min to complete so very feasible and reasonable idea to stop at some point and take a few hours rest (sleep is best)
so with that in mind consider a hotel or figure of eight route jumping into your own bed saves all that hassle of booking in a hotel. lots of options but get out and do some miles and see how you get on. moving about on the bike helps but if you're felling a bit cramped or stiff nothing like a little walk a minute or two is all that's needed to stimulate the blood flow and ease those aches.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some good points and observations in this thread. @DangerDarren made a great comments about practicing your stops and moving around on the bike so you don't stiffen up.

Some ideas to think about:

Make a list of the things you do when you roll up to the pumps to get petrol. Ask yourself why you do each one, and can you not do that? Minimizing the steps you take at refueling will save time. That gives you more time on the road, or minimizes the time if you need to do something other than get fuel at that stop.

Do you take your wallet out to get fuel? Don't. You need a credit card to get fuel, not the rest of your wallet. Keep a couple of your most used credit cards somewhere in your outside jacket pockets where they are available to you, while wearing gloves. (I use small folding credit card holder that only holds 4 cards. My National Parks Pass and two credit cards live there along with a $20 bill for emergencies) LINK

Here in the US, tap to pay is becoming more common on fuel pumps. If your current credit cards do not have the tap to pay feature, contact your provider and ask if they offer that, and if so, get new cards with that feature. This shouldn't cost you anything, they will just send you new cards for your existing account. While you're at it, get additional cards if you don't already have them.

The cards I carry in my jacket sleeve pocket are for the same account as the duplicate ones I carry in my wallet. Many, if not most, companies will give you at least one, if not several additional cards for the same account. I have 4 Chevron cards, for example. (Interesting side note, my Chevron card is not a Visa/combo card, just a regular Chevron card. It registers as a Discover card when I put it in the pump. Turns out, it will work to purchase things from any other fuel company or business that accepts Discover too. I can buy fuel with that Chevron card from a Shell, Exxon, BP or no name fuel pump if I choose to.)

On a certificate ride, when I stop for fuel only, I don't get off the bike, don't take my helmet off and don't take my gloves off. My gas cap has the flap removed and a shortened key stays in the cap at all times with a knob glued/screwed to it. The key is too short to work in the ignition and my luggage takes a different style key. This knob came from the hardware store in the appliance repair bins.
A6AD3B1A-4586-4E67-A002-29373C5237D0_1_105_c.jpeg
7C9AACE3-51EA-45BE-95C2-D5C3B16807EE_1_105_c.jpeg

So roll up to the pump, shut off bike w/key left in ignition, side stand down, tank bag un-clipped and set forward, gas cap opened, card case removed from sleeve pocket or other jacket pocket, (my mesh jacket does not have a sleeve pocket), then card out and to the pump, either in the slot reader or tap to pay, once done with card, it's returned to card case, case back to pocket and pocket zipped/snapped close, Then remove pump handle, pump fuel, return pump handle to pump, push button for receipt, return tank bag to locking ring, collect receipt, write number of gas stop and mileage on receipt, (just what I like to do, pen lives clipped/velcro'd to tank bag), clip receipt to photo area on dash, camera comes out of outside jacket pocket and take picture of receipt and odo, verify quality, camera returned to pocket, secure receipt in dedicated, waterproof spot, key on, side stand up, start bike, ride away.

If I need to get off the bike for a bio break, my key gets clipped to the outside of my jacket. I poke a split ring through a corner of a pocket flap and either use a valet ring or a carabiner to secure the key when I'm off the bike. This way I never, ever, need to dig in a pocket or remove a glove to get to my bike key.
Keys on Jacket.jpg

Find your fuel stop routine, repeat that routine the exact same way, every stop. That avoids errors and develops muscle memory. Avoid extra movements/steps that you can.

If you need to get off the bike to rest/stretch because you are sore, you have issues to sort with your bike. Your bike should be the most comfortable spot to be. Sorting out the small ergonomic issues makes a big difference when you're on the bike for 17-22 hours. That may be as simple as rotating the bars or bar risers, highway pegs, etc. Or may be a choice of accepting discomfort instead of getting a better seat or talking to the local upholstery shop to modify your existing seat to improve things. We each need to decide what's a priority for us.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Optimising stops is very good practise for rallies, but isn't really necessary on a 1000 miler, as in normal circumstances (no punctures or breakdowns etc) there's plenty of time.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Optimising stops is very good practise for rallies, but isn't really necessary on a 1000 miler, as in normal circumstances (no punctures or breakdowns etc) there's plenty of time.
That's exactly what most people say when they fail an SS1K attempt. (I thought there was plenty of time) I humbly offer that there is a big difference between someone doing their first 1000 mile day and those that have already solved that equation. Once you have it sorted, it's easy to do.

A puncture only takes 10 minutes to repair on the side of the road, IF you've done it many times before and are prepared with the tools you need. Again, a big difference between a first timer and a practiced pro.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Plenty of time is exactly what I thought on my first RBLR1000. In addition to the 5 compulsory receipt stops I had to make 5 extra fuel fuel stops due to only having a 125 mile fuel range. Thinking I had plenty of time I had sit down meals at Berwick McDonald's and Wick Tesco and took an extended break at Fort William. I left Fort William with 7 hours to complete 370 miles including riding the A82 alongside Loch Lomond after dark, 1 compulsory receipt stop and 2 fuel stops. Still plenty of time except that on leaving Birch Services we was faced with 45 miles of road works and the 50 mph reduced speed limit came with it. Happy Days, I arrived back at Squires with several minutes to spare but all was not as I originally thought.

I've since refined my stops, increased my fuel range and put in a personal best of a sub 19 hour RBLR1000. Then in 2021 I committed another catalogue of errors where I took on a couple of tourist trails including a jaunt through the Cairngorms National Park to again finish with minutes to spare ride report here.