All-Wisconsin "Kwik Trip1000" (aka: my first Saddle Sore 1000)

Greetings!

I'm pleased to report that this past weekend (Saturday, July 2, 2022), I embarked and completed my first IBA ride and just this morning submitted an electronic application for certification consideration. While patiently awaiting its review, I wanted to briefly describe the ride in hopes that you don't mind learning more about it.

Living in the far NW corner of Wisconsin, it seemed to me that an All-Wisconsin Saddle Sore 1000 would be just the ticket and as a big fan of Wisconsin-owned Kwik Trip convenience stores, I wanted to included them in any and all of my fueling and food replenishment stops. As a result, I'd plotted the course to begin and end at a Kwik Trip store near my home in Superior and carefully-selected nine other Kwik Trip stores throughout and affectionately named it the "Kwik Trip 1000. Full disclosure: a BP station in Pembine was included in the planned route simply to anchor a 'corner' per IBA rules. For what it's worth, and in keeping with this ride's All-Wisconsin ties, I suppose I should also report that I'd ridden it in a Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special :cool:

As expected, the route provided a beautiful tour of this wonderful state and even included a bonus sighting of a black bear that chose to stand up on it's hind legs in order to get itself a better view of me as I passed, no less. The ride intentionally included hundreds of miles of 2-lane roads (my favorites) and took just over 18 hours to complete. It most certainly wasn't a race by any stretch of the imagination and with only a few exceptions, was one that I loved every minute of. The only exception that comes to mind likely being the approximately 10 miles or so of southbound I-43 just outside Milwaukee that proved to quite possibly be the the roughest stretch of interstate I can ever recall traveling. To the point where I'd recommend avoiding it if at all possible. Otherwise, the temperatures were near perfect and ranged from a low of 50 degrees Fahrenheit to highs in the upper 80s. Rain? Although facing dozens of miles black clouds rapidly descending upon me from the west between Madison and Stevens Point, I was met with only a few miles of pretty substantial downpour and otherwise 'out-raced' the approaching storm clouds. I'll likely never forget the hour or so spent wondering, "Do I find a place to stop and quickly don my rain suit and then most-certainly get drenched? Or do I keep pushing at 75+ mph with a strong chance of reaching the blue skies that are inevitably just beyond the horizon?" Atypically, my decision to keep rolling instead of adding the rainsuit paid off whereas in the past, similar 'risky' weather calls paid off poorly; left me looking like a drowned rat; with regrets for not following better judgement; but those are other stories for another time. ;)

Please know that I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the ride itself and in the meantime, can report that completing it has prepared me well for any future IBA adventures and can't end this post without being sure to thank the countless (and nameless) IBA forum members from who's posts provided hours of entertainment and tremendously-important words of advice. I'm left with the hope that one day my upcoming experiences will do the same for others also getting into the wonderful sport of long-distance motorcycle riding.

Thank you so very much for having read this far and also for allowing me into your very interesting world.

Robert

Attachments

Congratulations on your ride! May it be the first of many. Check out the In-State Ride Awards Program. You have bagged your first one.
Thank you Russ! I too hope that it was the first of many and am glad you mentioned the "In-State Ride Awards Program." It's the first I'd heard of it and thanks to you, I've been already thinking about other In-State rides that I could plan and conduct. Having one more thing to hope, plan and dream about is a good thing! :)

Congrats and thanks for sharing your ride with us @Street Glider Rider. I hope you enjoy many more. Great route in a beautiful part of the country.
Thank you @EricV! Coincidentally, you're among the countless and otherwise "nameless" folks I'd mentioned earlier who's combined postings provided both hours of entertainment and enormous amounts of valuable information over the past winter while I progressed from the days of merely dreaming about taking on an official (formal?) long distance motorcycle ride to the point where I've now completed my first official effort. I'm glad to see you here where I can thank you personally and continue looking forward to perhaps one day seeing you somewhere down the road :cool:

Sportsterpaul

Congratulations, a beautiful ride I’m sure as I’ve ridden much of Wisconsin. I did a “mitten” loop of Michigan out of Diamondale H.D in Lansing some years back. May have to come over and do Wisconsin?

Last edited:

Baxter

Congrats and great ride! I'm from Mequon, just north of Milwaukee. Hmm ... might just steal your plan for an in-state.

I'm somewhat new to Wisconsin. Kwik Trips are nicer than the average c-stores, but I'm still puzzling out the fan base. It's almost like Wisconsinites are rooting for their home team. Any insight?

And yep, I43 southbound is in bad shape through the construction zone. The grooves and uneven pavement running with the lanes almost feels like it might throw the bike. Northbound is better. On the bright side, it really prepared me for I294 through Chicago. Since you can do that, you're good to go!

Elchiaroscuro

Premier Member
Gotta love those Kwik Trips! I like that most of them are 24-hr stores and most are fairly clean. Congrats on your ride!

Edit: Kwik Trip's headquarters is in my AO (La Crosse area). You can't go 3 blocks around here without bumping into a KT. Tobacco Outlet and Kwik Star (in IA) are also owned by Kwik Trip. They are expanding like crazy and either build new locations or expand/update older ones.

I don't mind them, but when I can I fuel up and get some basic groceries at my local IGA store. I like supporting the local store in my hometown.

Last edited:
Congratulations, a beautiful ride I’m sure as I’ve ridden much of Wisconsin. I did a “mitten” loop of Michigan out of Diamondale H.D in Lansing some years back. May have to come over and do Wisconsin?
Thank you @Sportsterpaul for the kind words and please know that although they've so far been limited to the U.P., I'm a big fan of the rides I've done in Michigan over the years. So much so that I'm in the early planning/dreaming stages of expanding my experiences in Michigan and taking on a ride through The Tunnel of Trees on Highway 119 along the shore of Lake Michigan. I'll bet you know it well and in my plans, I'm hoping to first take the ferry across Lake Michigan from Manitowoc to Ludington but that's another story for another post on another day. Otherwise, I'll go off on a never-ending tangent and I'll forget all about my "Kwik Trip 1000!" ;)

Speaking of this "Kwik Trip 1000", you're absolutely right - it was beautiful ride on a beautiful day through a beautiful state. Although I'm not geared up to safely make photos while riding, rest assured, there are likely hundreds of images safely stored in my brain's hard drive and I'm only sorry I've otherwise none to share :(

Congrats and great ride! I'm from Mequon, just north of Milwaukee. Hmm ... might just steal your plan for an in-state.

I'm somewhat new to Wisconsin. Kwik Trips are nicer than the average c-stores, but I'm still puzzling out the fan base. It's almost like Wisconsinites are rooting for their home team. Any insight?

And yep, I43 southbound is in bad shape through the construction zone. The grooves and uneven pavement running with the lanes almost feels like it might throw the bike. Northbound is better. On the bright side, it really prepared me for I294 through Chicago. Since you can do that, you're good to go!
Thank you @Baxter for your kind words and for inadvertently reminding me to post details on each of the stops and know that I'm happy to share this ride and you're more than welcome to use the route. It would please me knowing someone else is planning to enjoy it like I did.

As mentioned in my initial posting, all but one stop was conducted at a Kwik Trip convenience store and I only now realized that I hadn't previously mentioned that I'd ridden the route in a clockwise direction (although I'd mentioned that it began and ended in Superior) and had designed most of the route to include stops located on the "right" side of the road to make accessing/exiting them easier/safer/faster :)

Although I'd don't have any particular hometown insight, I'm with you and would have to say that, in my experience, the stores are constantly clean; have great restrooms; sell ethanol-free premium fuel (91 octane); and their receipts contain all the relevant information necessary in an Iron Butt ride! :cool:

Please keep me posted on your plans!
Image 7-4-22 at 7.38 PM.jpg

Gotta love those Kwik Trips! I like that most of them are 24-hr stores and most are fairly clean. Congrats on your ride!

Edit: Kwik Trip's headquarters is in my AO (La Crosse area). You can't go 3 blocks around here without bumping into a KT. Tobacco Outlet and Kwik Star (in IA) are also owned by Kwik Trip. They are expanding like crazy and either build new locations or expand/update older ones.

I don't mind them, but when I can I fuel up and get some basic groceries at my local IGA store. I like supporting the local store in my hometown.
Thank you @Elchiaroscuro! I'm with you on the whole, 'supporting the local store' and couldn't agree with you more. In my case, I travel quite a bit for both work and family visitation trips and have found that Kwik Trips 'feel' like my hometown store and their being originally from Wisconsin (myself from Milwaukee), got me hooked early and the fact that the variety and quaility of food, gas and diesel, I quickly became and remain a fan. Old habits die hard :cool:

Thank you, and you’ll like the “tunnel of trees “albeit it’s a short run and watch for sand on the road in the corners. Have never done either ferry across Lake Michigan but it’s still on my bucket list.
I'll be sure to watch for any sand in the corners and thank you for the good the advice. Time will tell if I can make the Tunnel of Trees ride happen yet this Fall or if it becomes something I shoot for next year. Either way is fine by me and I'll be looking forward to one day riding it. Like you, I haven't taken either ferry across Lake Michigan and that's one of those things that's been steadily advancing up my bucket list. "Patience is a virtue" is one of the mantras I'm practicing and believe I'm beginning to see signs of improvement ;)