Another airbag vest

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From the looks of it, it's $399 for the vest, then another $399 for the "Detection Module", or $12/mo or $120/year for subscription options. If you lease it, you get a new one after three years.

It appears to be worn under a riding jacket, deploying via a AI smart detection module, as opposed to the other offerings worn over your riding jacket with tethers to deploy. Maybe a little too bleeding edge for this market.

Especially humerus is the claimed 15 day battery with auto stand by. That's based upon 2 hours of riding per day. Real battery life claim is 25 hours w/o recharging the lithium battery. You might be able to make it through a 50CC depending on the charge time.

Off topic, but this is where Klim fails. They don't ride enough to understand people that do ride more than 2 hours a day, and don't care to understand them. Their market demographic is really aimed at occasional recreational riders that have the money to buy high end gear that they don't wear much, but want to appear like riders that do ride a lot. That should sound familiar...

Last edited:
Noted and good point Erik. Overall cost plays a part in the equation.
If the idea of an air bag intrigues you, there are certainly options. A quick search shows other flavors of motorcycle air bags for sale: Hit-Air, Helite, Dainese, Alpinestars, Merlin, Spidi, Moto-Airn and probably others besides Klim's are available. The Klim offering was news to me and may be of interest to others.

Some offer tether or wireless activation, and some schemes have under or over jacket options. And, then there are the complete suits... On, and on...

Newer "Big boy" Goldwings had the option for an air bag as well, though affected by the Takata recall.

I like to see what is available on the market that would reduce my risk of severe injury when bad things happen. I do keep in mind that the goal for suppliers is to separate you from your money. BTW, I don't own an air bag vest, jacket, or suit. Yet.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A nice recliner will reduce your risks too, if you never get on the bike. We all choose to manage our risks in a variety of ways. I find the Klim airbag vest unappealing for it's reliance on electronic tech, and the assumption stated that they will offer updates approximately every three months, meaning it's beta level software now, that they hope to improve. If I were in the market, I'd stick with a proven mechanical design, not something battery powered that pairs with a phone, (though that is not required for the device to function).

We are in agreement. There is an individual level of acceptable risk associated with long distance riding. Some jump on and go, some run a check list first, some stay home and sit on that chair. I like to know what is available to make my rides safer - even if it as simple as an aftermarket TPMS or some invention that turns me in the Michelin Man.

I purchased the Helite Turtle vest before my SS1000 in 2019, mostly to make my wife more comfortable with my attempt. Now that I'm used to wearing it I feel as naked as forgetting my helmet if I ride without it. I accept there is risk in biking but also know that anything I can do to mitigate those risks is a benefit to both me and my family.

Herakles

Premier Member
It looks like Helite has released an electronic vest in Europe, the E-Turtle, I hope it gets to the US soon. It also has an alternate fork sensor to cover a wider range of accidents.