Another Nesting question thread....

Hi,

I am looking to burn up some of this excess vacation time and get some saddletime. My plans are a BBG from Home to Colorado to see my eldest Grandson.
I then will do a SS1K to Killeen Tx to see the other grandkids.
Now this is where my question is...
I wish to do the "Earth to Moon Adventure" from Earth Tx to Moon Twp Pa. I would like to ride from Killeen to Earth, then depart to Moon Pa then towards the house to do a SS2K Gold with the "Earth to Moon Adventure" The way the rules read it says it Must start at either Moon or Earth. So can it be nested inside another ride? Or is this not allowed? I do not wish to map out a ride that isn't allowable, If I must start in Earth then I minus well get a hotel and start fresh if the additional 400 miles from Killeen to Earth cannot be used towards a cert.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
First, remember the basic guideline: if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate.

So in this case, it depends upon which E2MA you choose to ride. As the rules state, in part:

----------------------------------------------
Several combination of the standard IBA Bun Burner, Bun Burner Good and SaddleSore rides are acceptable for certification. The following IBA starndard rides can be applied to the Earth to Moon Adventure series of rides:

SaddleSore 3,000 in less than 72 hours
SaddleSore 3,000 Gold in less than 60 hours
Bun Burner 1,500 in less than 36 hours
Bun Burner Silver in less than 30 hours
Bun Burner Gold in less than 24 hours
Bun Burner 3,000--2 BBGs back to back
---------------------------------------------

An SS2K GOLD is 2,000 miles in 36 hours or less.

So, for example, everyone who completes an SS2K GOLD has by definition also completed a Bun Burner 1500 . So we wouldn't issue both.

On the other hand, it's possible to complete, for example, a Saddlesore 3000 without necessarily completing an SS2K GOLD. So we could issue both.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:
So the simple answer for this simple mind is, mileage starts and ends at either Eart Tx or Moon Twp Pa.

So going in only 1 direction my cert as an IBAnaut would be one of the following:

And that is if I get 1500+ miles in one way....

Cool, thanks for the answer. I want the IBAnaut so the SS2K can be accomplished at another time, another excuse to ride!

CB650F

Premier Member
It looks like Earth to Moon is about 1445 miles. Doing that ride definitely doesn't mean you've necessarily completed an SS2K, gold or otherwise. It also looks like an Earth to Moon ride won't even necessitate a BB1500, gold or otherwise. It's also pretty obvious that you can do a BB1500 or SS2K without going from Earth to Moon, so neither of those necessitate the Earth to Moon ride. You should be able to nest an Earth to Moon in either a BB1500 or SS2K.

The way I read it, only the Earth to Moon ride has to start in Earth or Moon. You are free to ride around earlier that day to your heart's content. If you happen to ride 400 miles to get to Earth to start that ride, so be it. I think most people need to ride a little while to get to Earth or Moon anyway. You would certainly need a DBR in Earth to prove starting time and location, but I believe that's the case when nesting any rides. The additional 400 miles can't be used for the Earth to Moon cert, but it can for other rides.

At least, that's the way I understand it. As per my usual disclaimer, I'm not on the verification team so take that into account.

It looks like Earth to Moon is about 1445 miles. Doing that ride definitely doesn't mean you've necessarily completed an SS2K, gold or otherwise. It also looks like an Earth to Moon ride won't even necessitate a BB1500, gold or otherwise. It's also pretty obvious that you can do a BB1500 or SS2K without going from Earth to Moon, so neither of those necessitate the Earth to Moon ride. You should be able to nest an Earth to Moon in either a BB1500 or SS2K.

The way I read it, only the Earth to Moon ride has to start in Earth or Moon. You are free to ride around earlier that day to your heart's content. If you happen to ride 400 miles to get to Earth to start that ride, so be it. I think most people need to ride a little while to get to Earth or Moon anyway. You would certainly need a DBR in Earth to prove starting time and location, but I believe that's the case when nesting any rides. The additional 400 miles can't be used for the Earth to Moon cert, but it can for other rides.

At least, that's the way I understand it. As per my usual disclaimer, I'm not on the verification team so take that into account.

Well my route from the Moon to the Earth is 1578 Miles... So a BBG is possible. This is one themed ride where they are very specific to what certs can go with it... that was why I asked to double check.

The following IBA starndard rides can be applied to the Earth to Moon Adventure series of rides:

SaddleSore 3,000 in less than 72 hours
Bun Burner 3,000--2 BBGs back to back

More specific then many others. It is all good, I have had to raarrange my plans anyway so I will be doing the IBAnaut from the Moon TWP Pa with the BBG then a SS1k on my ride home from Baton Rouge La when I visit other family members. I was trying to incorporate a few IBA rides with my trip since it looks to be about a 4000 mile trip to see who and what I wish to see.

Tim Harkins

Premier Member

So as usual I’m confused. Above it’s stated 3000 gold is less than 60 hours, but when I look at the Big Ride List it states:

SS 3,000 is under 54 hours. I’m wondering where the 60 hour limit is coming from?

Somebody please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff

So as usual I’m confused. Above it’s stated 3000 gold is less than 60 hours, but when I look at the Big Ride List it states:

SS 3,000 is under 54 hours. I’m wondering where the 60 hour limit is coming from?

Somebody please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
I believe the 60-hour time limit is a typo, but I'm checking.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
As I suspected - a typo. Fifty-four hours is the correct time limit. Now fixed. Thanks for pointing that out!

Ira

Redwing56

Premier Member
Hi Ira
I just completed my first BBG and noticed the submission form has a line for “end of SS1K “ and “end of BBG”. I noted on my log the end of the SS1K and took an extra pic of the gps odo. Can I apply for the SS1K and BBG?
thanks

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: The basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. In this case, everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours or less) has by definition also completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours or less). So we would only issue the BBG certificate.

This is in contrast to the Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours or less), where it would be possible to complete the BB1500 without necessarily completing the SS1K (e.g., one completes the first 1,000 miles in 25 hours but 1,500 miles within 36 hours).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: The basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. In this case, everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours or less) has by definition also completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours or less). So we would only issue the BBG certificate.

This is in contrast to the Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours or less), where it would be possible to complete the BB1500 without necessarily completing the SS1K (e.g., one completes the first 1,000 miles in 25 hours but 1,500 miles within 36 hours).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
You got this reply assigned to a hot key yet? :p