Any HD riders for these rides?

I ride a Road King and find it incredibly comfortable for long rides. And in the great state of Washington, there are so many great long rides available! I also stop every 2-3 hours to stretch/fuel. I'm not interested in breaking any records, just completing the ride within time and getting home safely. We all have our own goals when doing a cert ride.

The best "trick' I use for the cert rides is to remind myself each time to put the kick stand down when I stop, especially at the end of the ride when you are exhausted and your brain isn't as sharp as it was when you left. I say it OUT LOUD, even though it is second nature. Likely sounds stupid to a lot of people, but on a heavy cruiser, a little bit tipped is often all the way tipped. That's not how to end a ride.

As a fellow Seattle area resident, be very mindful of when you are returning home. Get the WADOT app and make sure the roads aren't congested. Even at 10:00 pm, the Tacoma Curves can be in gridlock or Snoqualmie pass is backed up for miles. Also, I use the Windy App to negotiate the Columbia Gorge winds to see how bad they will be.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
......The best "trick' I use for the cert rides is to remind myself each time to put the kick stand down when I stop, especially at the end of the ride when you are exhausted and your brain isn't as sharp as it was when you left. .........
I made the mistake of missing the kickstand and instead half deploying the centrestand in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night in sub-zero temperatures. Suffice to say, letting go of the clutch lever on a huge engined bike does not cause it to stall. Rather it just took off with me riding one-handed like a bronco rider straight into the bush.

Although I have ridden IBA rides on a bunch of different bikes, I have never completed on on a big American cruiser. The closest bike to that would have been my Honda Valkyrie. I once rode three 1200+ mile days in a row on that bike and had done some minor mods:

- 2 x 3500Lm spot lights
- 20L jerry can on the back, which also worked as a back rest with the addition of an airhawk.
- Highway pegs for varying foot position
- a couple of GPSs
- heated grips
- temporary hard bags
- FJR1300 windscreen
- a flashlight fixed to the bars to point straight into the tank for jerry can fills in the middle of the night.

Carl Hagen

Premier Member
My first SS1000 was on a 2004 Heritage Classic. Biggest complaint was range. The 5 gallon tank and the drop in mpg at higher speeds had me carrying extra gas. My second SS1000 was on 2020 FLHP (Road King Police). Better mileage and a 6 gallon tank changed everything. Still, a max range between 180 and 200 miles has me stopping about every 2.5 hours. The best thing I've done to both bikes is to upgrade to LED lights. I went with Custom Dynamics front to back. A little pricey but totally changed the night riding experience. Worth every penny. Finally, the inflatable Air Hawk seat cover on the Heritage was a pretty inexpensive upgrade that paid off big time.

A lot of interesting stuff! It's good to see how many people just kludge together whatever they think will work for them out of what they have...usually. It supports my kludging tendencies and I've not lost me gear on the road yet!

Currently, on my 2015 H-D FLSTN I ride with my Biltwell EXFIL-80 stuffed full to provide a backrest, a windshield because I'm older than when I started doing this stuff and don't feel like taking the beatings I used to, Highway pegs to provide so positional variation, and I just installed a set of Hogworkz Halomaker headlight and auxiliary lights. I may make a change or two to the wiring so that the aux lights stay on when in high beam, though. A more controversial choice is the 16" ape hangers but they get me up off the bars and make the control far better. They're just about right at shoulder height but I've not used them, yet, for a longer ride and will be trying them out soon.

I get about 38mpg according to Fuelly and I've never had a real issue with quantity but sometimes I've had to squeeze a few stops close together to prevent any issue so in these IBA runs I'd probably pack a bit of extra so I can stretch it out without sweating it.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As a fellow Seattle area resident, be very mindful of when you are returning home. Get the WADOT app and make sure the roads aren't congested. Even at 10:00 pm, the Tacoma Curves can be in gridlock or Snoqualmie pass is backed up for miles. Also, I use the Windy App to negotiate the Columbia Gorge winds to see how bad they will be.
Honestly, I've let Tacoma traffic discourage me from riding more often than I like.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
it makes me wonder if the large majority of big cruiser IBA ride finishers are "one-and-done" riders
Should be easy to calculate (along with the _variety_ of bikes that people have used, as individuals and in aggregate..) Ira, gimme that database! :D

One thing that probably also plays into the perception that there's a "right" bike is who is running their mouths talking a lot around here (and on the mailing list and on FB) - if you're a "one and done" (granting for the moment that's a thing) are you sticking around, trying to maximize your efficiency or improving your technique? It's easier also to follow a blazed trail of GS/A, K, FJRs than kludging from scratch.

Last edited:
Ah, the perpetually under construction Tacoma Curves. I've not lived here for that long, about 18 years, and it's been a bloody mess since I've been here.

My newest demotivator is the loss of the West Seattle Bridge...I live on the wrong side of it. Getting out of here between the hours of 0500 and 2100 is...difficult, more so that it was before.

Snoqualmie Pass can be bad but timing can help or take 410 or 12. I really like 410, actually.

Mike721

Premier Member
I ride Victory, my wife rides Indian, both basically stock full sized touring/ baggers. Both have proven rock solid reliable and comfortable on plenty of IBA rides. Harley works just as well, many, many IBA rides are done on them.

Traxx

Premier Member
Started in the IBA cert rides with a Tiger 1200, then moved on to a Trophy SE and now on a 20 Electra Glide Standard. Each bike has its own series of certs.
The EGS mods are LED lighting with passing lamps, fork fangs, Freedom Shields 14” touring screen, Police Saddle, Hondo Garage wireless charging phone mount, E glide toys glovebox door and zero, nada non no engine mods.
I went with the EGS for dealer network, simplicity, reliability and rider comfort.

Sportsterpaul

I’ve certificates for 5 SS1,000’s, and logged over 340,000 miles on my three Sporties just in the last 20 years. But this pales in comparison to Chris Comely, who has been an Iron Butt Rally finisher the last three trips out. A great human being by the way. Ride safe and test negative!!

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I love my recliner with cruise control (2017 Ultra Limited). Replaced the passing lamps with Clearwaters which made a huge difference and added a 4.5 gal gravity feed aux fuel cell. Got lots of tips for this set-up from this illustrious group. Done around 40'ish certified rides on it in the past 3 years. As you know, it's a little more cushy-ier than sportsters, dynas, and your softail, but just wanted to say, any mods for comfort and convenience and whatever else you can think of...and all depending you your type of riding, all of us are here to help anyway we can.

Attachments

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I ride a 2006 Sportster, a 2007 Sportster, and a 1996 FLSTN. I've done cert rides on all three of them and completed 3 IBRs on the 2006 Sportster.

As for tricks, most are not brand or even bike specific. Obviously some things don't apply to some bikes. The key is to set your bike up for you, so it is comfortable, there are no hot spots, and the range is something you can handle. My limit on my riding is how long I can stay awake, I have no discomfort issues. I do need to get off the bike every 2-3 hours but that is simply to stretch and my bladder schedules that for me most of the time anyway.

Last edited:

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my post above, but YouTuber Whit Meza completed a Lake Michigan SS1000 on a Sporty last year. She posted several videos about her process and the ride. She's very organized, puts my OCD to shame. I've liked her channel, lots of interesting trips and she's been doing a Wisconsin Rustic Roads series which is helping me get to know my new state.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7bkvA72A6sZkES3rC1kEA

While I had no doubts that a Sporty could do it, here's proof.
People remember Whit because she is better looking than most of us :)

Quite a few riders have done multiple Cert rides on Sporty's, plus those that have been around for a while recall Brett Donahue taking 3rd in the 2007 Iron Butt Rally

The bike is really irrelevant as long as it is dependable.

I know guys that have done IBs on Harley bikes (though every single one that I personally know who has done IB rides, has done so on touring bikes). It could just be that Harley riders, whether they're serious distance riders who do many IB rides or "one-and-done" types, just don't post here for some reason. I know I don't post on this forum much (but I also usually really don't have much of anything to say).

For what it's worth, in about 36 days, I plan to attempt my first SS1000 on a 1997 Harley Davidson FXSTC (though, it is set up more for comfort and distance/touring riding). In the future, I also want to attempt one of the National Parks Tour certifications. I won't be a one-and-done type of person, but once I complete a SS1K, my next goal would be a BB Gold (at least, I think that's it, the one that's 1500 miles in 24 hours). I'm not interested personally in the number of IB certified rides I would complete, more interested in getting one certified ride in each of the categories in which I am interested, just to have done it more than anything, to see if I personally could do it.

Another thing to consider is that endurance/distance riding is a world-wide thing, and in the rest of the world outside of America, ADV and sport touring bikes have a higher proportion/ratio to cruisers in general, let alone HDs specifically, I would imagine.

You have to also consider the types of riders out there. A lot of Harley culture is completely different than even Indian or other cruiser brand cultures, let alone ADV or sport touring culture. Someone looking for a daily rider bike in-town might be opting for something with better fuel mileage and a smaller size than someone that's just a "fair-weather rider" (and I am not knocking those kinds of people who others might call "weekend warriors" or something, there's nothing wrong with being that kind of rider). And to be perfectly honest, a larger proportion of HD riders are that category of "fair weather/weekend warrior" compared to other brands, I would also imagine... but that's all just based on my limited personal experience.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I know guys that have done IBs on Harley bikes (though every single one that I personally know who has done IB rides, has done so on touring bikes). It could just be that Harley riders, whether they're serious distance riders who do many IB rides or "one-and-done" types, just don't post here for some reason. I know I don't post on this forum much (but I also usually really don't have much of anything to say).

For what it's worth, in about 36 days, I plan to attempt my first SS1000 on a 1997 Harley Davidson FXSTC (though, it is set up more for comfort and distance/touring riding). In the future, I also want to attempt one of the National Parks Tour certifications. I won't be a one-and-done type of person, but once I complete a SS1K, my next goal would be a BB Gold (at least, I think that's it, the one that's 1500 miles in 24 hours). I'm not interested personally in the number of IB certified rides I would complete, more interested in getting one certified ride in each of the categories in which I am interested, just to have done it more than anything, to see if I personally could do it.

Another thing to consider is that endurance/distance riding is a world-wide thing, and in the rest of the world outside of America, ADV and sport touring bikes have a higher proportion/ratio to cruisers in general, let alone HDs specifically, I would imagine.

You have to also consider the types of riders out there. A lot of Harley culture is completely different than even Indian or other cruiser brand cultures, let alone ADV or sport touring culture. Someone looking for a daily rider bike in-town might be opting for something with better fuel mileage and a smaller size than someone that's just a "fair-weather rider" (and I am not knocking those kinds of people who others might call "weekend warriors" or something, there's nothing wrong with being that kind of rider). And to be perfectly honest, a larger proportion of HD riders are that category of "fair weather/weekend warrior" compared to other brands, I would also imagine... but that's all just based on my limited personal experience.
Kyle, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I have a riding problem ... Err wrong group … I mean I have done one or two SS1Ks on my 1996 FLSTN and about 20 on my 2006 and 2007 Sportsters including a 100CCC, SS5K, National Parks Tour, and BBG. I've also finished three IBRs on my 2006 Sportster.

Now you can say you know someone who has done IBA rides on something other than a Harley Touring Bike :)

In all seriousness, best of luck on your SS1000

JAORE

Premier Member
Feeling a bit like Pee Wee Herman following Sir Laurence Olivier (after Chris Comly), I've done a SS1000 on a Sportster too. On the IBA FB page there are a ton of guys posting, many on non-touring Harleys.

I'm rooting for you and your '97.

Oh I am sure there's lots of Harley bikes of all types that have done an IB. Though, I don't really follow IB stuff much. But, that everyone that I personally know that's done having it on a touring bike doesn't mean much... I only know two or three have have done any kind of IB ride to begin with and most everyone I know that rides a Harley, rides a touring bike except like, one person. I also don't personally know that many people, these are just some guys I know from a Harley forum that I meet up with once a year. That's actually where I am going when I attempt my SS1K the first weekend of next month.

Anyway, this was the meetup two or three years ago. Far left front row there's two softails. The only bikes not in the pic are mine and another guy that rode a Switchback at the time. Everything else front row is Road Kings, then beyond that it's 90% RGs and SGs:
PRSvZCnw.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
I guess I am one of the Harley riders that do not post here very often.

I am not an expert at this and there are plenty of people that are more qualified than me on this forum, but my humble input is.....

If you are looking at doing your first SS1000, it's not hard. Just be organized and stay focused on the goal. Don't screw around with stopping at scenic overlooks and wasting time. Once the first SS1000 is done, you will have a better idea of what worked and what didn't and how much time you can spend on the next ride visiting scenic vistas and Points of Interest. Ride the same route again and see the sites that you missed the first time. :)

The only other tip is that you need to be comfortable .... that did raise my eyebrows a bit when you said
... I now have a 2015 HD Softail FLSTN ... and find it to be comfortable enough ...
This would be my first tip: Find out what works for you to make the bike comfortable and not just comfortable enough. Otherwise you are fighting early fatigue, muscle cramps, headaches.... basically you are fighting the bike and your body by the end of the ride.

Anything else is subjective and what works for me, or someone else, may not work for you. The best way to find out is to ride. :)

For me though, what has worked well:
Comfortable Riding Gear
A full face / modular helmet
Since I ride in the deserts of the southwest, an on bike hydration system that will last the entire day
Adjustable Back Rest
Electronic Cruise Control
In Ear Monitors (wired ear buds) with custom ear molds
A tank bag : Gas stops are just that, gas stops (and restroom if necessary) ... it's not a shopping trip in the store. With that in mind a tank bag has really helped. It holds receipts, pens, reading glasses, along with snacks, gum, Jolly Ranchers, etc.
(I can stick the fuel hose in the tank, grab a snack from the bag until the fuel pump clicks off and I am moving again without ever getting off the bike... Unless the pump is out of paper! Argh!!!!)