April: Hold on Rides

I know of the April Hold on IBA rides.
I thought I saw something that extended it to May 15.
Of course at my age memory is not my strong point. LOL
Has it been extended?

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With the Tour of Honor... they are following individual state Shelter in Place orders (which for Texas expired Thursday night). So going out for ToH sites in Texas is now okay with the ToH folks.

But will the IBA award a Tour of Honor SS1000 (or any other certificate ride award) completed right now in a state without Shelter in Place orders?

Sailronin

I don't know about other states but Washington just extended the "Stay home, stay safe" rules through May 31st. Some recreational areas like state parks will open but most other things remain closed.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I refer you to Mike's statement on the matter.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira,

I am familiar with Mike's statement about April. I thought I saw something about May but I cannot find it again.

Will the IBA recognize for certification any rides in May?

If so would these only be recognized from states that are open?
Or, if May is recognized will it be up to the rider's discretion to avoid the still shut down states?

Thank you

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If you are familiar with Mike's statement, then you know is starts by saying "We understand no one wants to be told what to do . . . ". We are not the pandeminc police. We have neither the time nor inclination to look at each and every ride submission and check the dates and locations against all of the national, state, and local regs to see if any were broken.

Mike has expressed our position with regard to the current pandemic. We trust that our membership will exercise their own good judgement with regard to when and where they ride.

Because we verify and certify rides done all over the world, and considering our chronic backlog with regard to processing ride submissions :eek:, the verification teams are still working.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira,

With all do respect you did not answer my question. Are you an politician? This is said in jest.

Mike said April would not be counted. Like I mentioned, I thought I saw where May was off limits also at least until May 15.
Seriously, will the IBA certify/count rides made in May? Or is May off limits until a specified date? Like I said, I know April was off limits.

I know you guys are busy and I very much appreciate you time.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I've asked Mike that question and have not received a reply as yet - I know of no post from Mike indicating May 15 as a specific date.

Ira

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So Mike just got back to me. May will be handled the same way as April. Here's the revised statement:

---------------------
For those that are trying to complete rides with time lines: the National Park Tour, Pressed Penny Insanity, Lighthouse Insanity, 100,000-mile year, etc. We will extend those timelines as needed to complete the ride. Right now that means we are blind to April AND May 2020. For example, if you are pushing the one-year NPT time line, we expect to add an extra two months to the normal 12-month time line. But to take advantage of that, you can't collect stamps/pennies/lighthouses now and add extra time on the back end to collect more. That is not the intent of this relief.

Mike
-------------------

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The totality of Ira's post #8, along with Mike's clarification of rides with timelines in Ira's post #11, seems to be sufficient clarification - for me.

Thanks, Ira.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
One more time.

The title of this thread is a little misleading. Mike has addressed our position - that we would like everyone to think about the implications of riding right now. Mike further states that for any of our rides that are time-limited (such as ME Silver, Pressed Penny, NPT) we will discard (at the moment) April and May as long as the rider does not further their progress on those rides. There is nothing explicitly stated with regard to rides without such time limits.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited: