Aqua-Gard

To keep hydrated, has anyone tried Aqua-Gard gel? It's being promoted for military and crisis use. It's supposed to be more effective for maintaining hydration and minimizing heat stress than water.

It comes in a 3.03 oz package - each package should be good for about 2-3 hours.

I don't work for the manufacturer but our aviation company is looking at trying this out with our aircrews and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Aqua-Gard is a gel-like substance that fits into a packet about the size of a peanut butter pack from an MRE (or if you’re lucky, a jalapeno cheese spread pouch).
It’s made by Aqua Innovations. Peter De Marco, company researcher and developer, told Military Times that the orange-flavored substance can replace four to five 16-oz bottles of water.
It has a combination of amino acids that helps the body absorb and retain water, which is more slowly metabolized. That would cut weight and resources for dismounted troops, but it also reduces the need to urinate, a problem for pilots.

Aqua-Gard.png

I haven't personally tried it but a couple guys from the SOW here at Cannon have and say it isn't bad and does control the need to urinate.

I was thinking it could be used to replace water on rides, or at least supplement it - it's lighter and smaller than a bottle of water. Supposedly it's better at maintaining hydration than water.

However, it didn't go over too well with the first couple of guys that tried it. "Tastes like grainy, melted gummy bears." "You know those cold packs you put in with your lunch to keep 'em cold? It tastes kind of like what that feels like." One guy stated that he would use them if that's all there was, but then asked, "Do I hav'ta finish this?"

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Aqua-Gard is a gel-like substance that fits into a packet about the size of a peanut butter pack from an MRE (or if you’re lucky, a jalapeno cheese spread pouch).
It’s made by Aqua Innovations. Peter De Marco, company researcher and developer, told Military Times that the orange-flavored substance can replace four to five 16-oz bottles of water.
It has a combination of amino acids that helps the body absorb and retain water, which is more slowly metabolized. That would cut weight and resources for dismounted troops, but it also reduces the need to urinate, a problem for pilots.

View attachment 1907

I haven't personally tried it but a couple guys from the SOW here at Cannon have and say it isn't bad and does control the need to urinate.
Drink less, urinate less. Drink more, urinate more.
Makes sense. The quantity (and color) of my urine have long been the “dash lights” of my personal hydration monitoring system.

I suppose I could learn new tricks even though I’m an old dog, but...

I’ll wait for some more “peer-reviewed” tests/studies before believing the claim (maybe I’m mis-reading?) that 3.3 oz of gel can replace 64-80 oz of water? And that the resultant decrease in urine output (and higher concentration) is a GOOD thing.
Once I convince myself that those two statements are valid, I’ll work on “lack of perspiration is NOT a sign of heat stroke - it’s proof that you can cool yourself with these magic beans”, the price of which is... water?

Tell me that including electrolytes, in correct proportions, with my water will improve hydration? I’ll shop for a delivery system that works in my body (and within my budget).
Tell me that I can stay hydrated without the hydra-? Color me dubious.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
As a Registered Nurse and Sheriff Search and Rescue (SAR) - there can be a lot of confusion regarding hydration or more specifically dehydration. What we teach new SAR trainees is drink to thirst. Using the color of urine as a measurement of hydration status can be misleading and even lead to life threatening issues. In extreme or prolonged situations with heavy sweating - trying to replentish the loss with water alone can quickly result in natremia (low sodium level). We see this often in the summer where people are hiking and sweating for long periods. They will say "my urine was concentrated so I kept drinking until it was clear". While I would never recommend not drinking water - everyone needs to have their own personal hydration plan with supplements.

My skepticism of the product’s claim (3.3 oz gel =/> 64-80 oz water) is tempered by my attempt, in most things, to maintain informed moderation.
Just as guzzling liter after liter of plain water without replacing electrolytes lost (from sweating, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.) is a shortcut to Hyponatremia, so (it seems to me) attempting to replace ‘lytes without replacing water is an invitation to dehydration.
MacDonalds French fries are an excellent source of sodium and potassium, though not recommended as a steady diet.
But if you run out of Gatorade** or Pedialyte, you might grab a jug of water and look for the Golden Arches.
And maybe eat a pickle.

**one liter of Gatorade replaces +/- the sodium lost in HALF a liter of sweat. And it is absorbed faster than plain water.

However it’s done, stay hydrated!

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Their response arrived this morning...

[email protected]

Aqua-Gard® is an institutional brand only. We do make exceptions for military, law enforcement and search & rescue personnel, active or retired. If you are one of these members, the pricing is as follows:

$36 for a box of 12 packets, plus ground shipping. $300 for a case of 100 packets, plus ground shipping. You can pay by credit card or use PayPal, if you prefer.

Please let us know by using the above email. We appreciate your interest.

Kind regards,
Peter De Marco

Research and Development
CEO/Managing Member
Aqua Innovations Ltd.