Are there any other long distance rallies?

Mark Owen

Premier Member
My last BBG has given me the itch and I'm wondering if there are any other scratching posts out there other than the official Iron Butt Rally.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Scott Parish

Premier Member
My last BBG has given me the itch and I'm wondering if there are any other scratching posts out there other than the official Iron Butt Rally.

Any input is appreciated.
Plenty out there. Check the Ride, Rally, Events section - two upcoming events posted; plus the IBA event calendar is another source of information. I'm sure more will be along to provide even more details.

Mark Owen

Premier Member
Anyway, I reread my post and realized it could have been misinterpreted, so just to clarify...

My intent was not to disparage the Iron Butt Rally. Quite the contrary. It is the ultimate. And before I start making some efforts to get in, I would like to practice under similar conditions so I don't look like a fool and wind up DNF. And the only thing I've found is Butt Lite. And that, of course, is sold out.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Anyway, I reread my post and realized it could have been misinterpreted, so just to clarify...

My intent was not to disparage the Iron Butt Rally. Quite the contrary. It is the ultimate. And before I start making some efforts to get in, I would like to practice under similar conditions so I don't look like a fool and wind up DNF. And the only thing I've found is Butt Lite. And that, of course, is sold out.
I am not aware of anything like the IBR. 11 days is grueling. Butt Lite is fantastic and I suggest signing up for it before the IBR if possible as it will give you an idea of what a multi day rally is like, but it does not compare to the IBR as it is half the length.

And no one who enters the IBR looks like a fool for a DNF unless of course you ignore all the advice given and just wing it. There is a reason why they say ride smarter, not harder ...

With all that said, lots of options for rallies posted in this thread. Pick one near you and contact the Rally Master.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
My $0.02:

As I've said on many occasions, everyone in the IBR can ride the wheels off a motorcycle. The difference between riding and rallying lies between one's ears. The skill most in need of improvement among IBR riders is not the riding, or even the rest management. It's being able to understand the objectives of the rally and planning the ride to meet those objectives better than the next rider. This can be accomplished best, IMHO, by entering lots of shorter rallies with a variety of designs, thus preparing one for whatever the IBR might throw at you.

See the post "So You Want to Enter the Iron Butt Rally" for more tips to improve your IBR selection prospects.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In addition to Ira's wise comment, I suggest seeking out ride reports from those that have participated in rallies. You can find all of mine in my blog, link is below. Also check the rally reports folder in the Ride, Rally & Event Reports section of this forum.

Mark Owen

Premier Member
Trust me, I am reading all that I can find. Thanks for the link, Chris. I will read yours next.

I have to ask. Is this how the disease starts? I mean, I thought doing the BBG would cure that itch, and it's only made it worse. After that ride, I was just elated, and all I could think about, after I had rested and come back to reality, was...I need MORE of this!

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Trust me, I am reading all that I can find. Thanks for the link, Chris. I will read yours next.

I have to ask. Is this how the disease starts? I mean, I thought doing the BBG would cure that itch, and it's only made it worse. After that ride, I was just elated, and all I could think about, after I had rested and come back to reality, was...I need MORE of this!
Yes, this is how the disease starts.

I decided to go to the Jacksonville Banquet in 2013 and ride in the saddle sore they host in conjunction with the banquet. At the banquet they asked those in the room to raise their hand if they were in the IBR. To my surprise a friend of mine did. It made me wonder if he can get selected for the IBR then why can't I? I did some research, bought the DVDs, and in January 2014 I sent in my application and got selected for the 2015 IBR. To prep in 2014 I did my 100 CCC, rode the Butt Lite VII and a few other rallies, and then rode in the 2015 and 2017 IBR.

For this year's banquet I am likely doing a SS3K, riding from Philly to TX on my way to Jacksonville. I'd do a 4k or another 5K but I want to spend more time in FL this year. I am also planning on riding in the MD 2020 and Void rallies and will likely do one or more week long riding vacations, destination/route TBD

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

there are no fools in the IBR only people with great stories ..... DNFs can happen on even a simple SS1000. I guess some would see an IBR DNF as a failure but really it's just a bad day that turns into a great story later on :p

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And you're doing all of this on a SPORTSTER!?!!?!

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.
Mostly, yes. I've done a few SS's on my Heritage. I like a (relatively) lighter bike.

there are no fools in the IBR only people with great stories ..... DNFs can happen on even a simple SS1000. I guess some would see an IBR DNF as a failure but really it's just a bad day that turns into a great story later on :p
Well said. If everything went the way it should there would be no fun telling the story later