Armistice 1000

Crezz

Thanks for all the clarification re the paperwork.

This time next week should be close to the tunnel ready to cross and then on to Mons and St Symphorian CWGC to lay the poppy wreath on Pte George Ellison's grave.

This is the final route after about 20 attempts of finding the best route. https://goo.gl/maps/KFY8kPBkQAn

Jonnyp

IBA Member
I had a great ride yesterday, thankfully the weather was kind to me, with mostly blue sky's and no rain. (Looks like G&S copped for most of that!!).

I wanted to make something of this, I've never been in the services but really value what past and present people do and have done in them. So, I visited three monuments in three countries. I did want to do the national memorials but I think time would have been an issue. I found my three, (sorry to our friends in Ireland, both north and south) Abergavenny, Alloa and Seaham..

I brought some paper poppies and added IBA logos, thought it nice to put one on each...

The memorial in Abergavenny sits in the high street, it's a simple yet striking one -

IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1627.jpg

To Alloa and one I found, much more graceful in person, than in the images I had seen -

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

I stopped for a receipt in Alloa at the main Tesco petrol station, I didn't need fuel so just picked up a bar of chocolate for 80p, paid in cash but asked for a receipt, the chap at the till said, "you really need one for that" I said "yes, I need to show I've been here" he asked why, so I told him I was on a ride around. A chap, about 65ish, who stood behind me said "what are you doing that for" I told him it was for the Poppy Appeal. He put his hand in his pocket bought out some change and tried to give it to me, I could not accept it but what a lovely gesture....

And finally to Tommy who sits on the sea front in Seaham. He has to be one of the most striking of all WW1 memorials I think I have ever seen and probably tells as different story to every one that meets him. To me he's had enough, seen and done things he wants to forget. This is the second time I've seen him.

IMG_1638.jpg

When I got there last night Seaham had a fair on and I'd just missed the fireworks. There was a group of at least three families all together lining up for a group photo with him, So as one of the mums could be in the shot, I took the photo. There were small children climbing on Tommy and I got the feeling, he would have liked that...They all said "See you later Tommy" as they left....

You'll notice I put two poppies on him, I was introduced to Tommy by Foster so, one is for him (hope that's OK Foster and you are too).

I hope all of you planning to do this ride, have a safe and enjoyable one, which ever route you take..

:)

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
To be clear about the odo/receipt photo this is a good example. Note that

Bike's live odometer is visible
Receipt has site location (at top) visible
Receipt has date/time (at bottom) visible

I think Phil uses a blob of blutack to achieve that, you can use whatever method floats your boat. And, for the interminably pedantic, the site location & date/time don't need to be located as per this receipt but they do need to be visible.

odoreceipt.jpg

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
The bike's ready i'm ready just waiting for the remnants of the hurricane the Americans were kind enough to send us to pass by (why do they always arrive at the weekend?)
Next week is looking good, doing the southern route anti clockwise where it goes across the Dartford crossing is ten minutes ride from my house so a short ride start and finish
The weather gods (BBC news channel) are saying tomorrow (Monday) is looking good 13-15 c small chance of rain so at the crack of sparrows and give it a go, carpe diem.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Nice ride and well thought out jonnyp.
Poppys were a nice touch mate.
Can you imagine the discussion that could have taken place locally and on social media if we'd all done Jon's ride?

With over 70 people signed up delivering poppies over 30 days......:eek:

Jealous of the concept and you have my admiration in the planning and execution. Well ridden and delivered.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
To be clear about the odo/receipt photo this is a good example. Note that

Bike's live odometer is visible
Receipt has site location (at top) visible
Receipt has date/time (at bottom) visible

I think Phil uses a blob of blutack to achieve that, you can use whatever method floats your boat. And, for the interminably pedantic, the site location & date/time don't need to be located as per this receipt but they do need to be visible.

View attachment 2873
9 minutes, that's a long pit stop and no fuel.......

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Bubbler is a good option for androids. You can get a free version that tracks your location via spotwalla. Doesn't seem to use much data or power on the phone.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Good evening, Rick and I completed the ride this morning after experiencing a very wet and windy ride through Wales. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and raised around £1,200 for the RBL. Good luck to you all and well done Graeme and Sally.
Well done both of you think that is 5 rides completed
Our paper work will be emailed this week