Around the Big Paddock - SUCCESS!

Philmor

Premier Member
They look to be doing well, with a regulation 15 min stop at Caiguna.
BoM MetEye suggested WNW winds at 30-40 km/h at Caiguna between 11am & 2pm today and Eucla is much the same this afternoon.
So it looks like the Westralians are keen to see this pair out of their state ASAP.
They are back on roads and stops that they are very familiar with. :)

Biggles

Premier Member
I'm back in the observer's seat after the morning out and out to lunch.
ETA BV is 16:08, which is only 33 minutes late, so they're made good progress whittling down the deficit while I wasn't watching. They have 55 minutes margin, but can't afford to squander it now, so another shorter sleep should see them in with a good chance. The tailwind will have to be helpful, at least for fatigue relief.
Ox is 900 kays behind them, so I can't see him catching them at PA, especially since he'll need a nap at Ceduna.

Philmor

Premier Member
I received a msg from FM.
They are sleeping at Ceduna tonight.
Back on the bike at 3:00am AEST in the morning.
They should get to Port Augusta by 8am AEST for a 15 min stop.
This will put them right back on their ride plan and leave them with 1272 kms to do from PA in 16hrs 14mins (at an average OA speed of 78.4 km/hr).
Their ride plan shows them doing it in 15hrs 20mins.
Even after 8 days on the road, I am sure the Dymanic Duo will do it :)

Last edited:

Biggles

Premier Member
Edit- I posted this simultaneously with Philmor.
Michael and Lynne have been in Ceduna since 21:13, so it looks like they've decided to sleep there instead of PA. Completely understandable after 8 solid days on the road that the thought of another 5 hours to bed in PA was too much to bear.
They have 16.5 hours riding to do tomorrow, so are in a strong position. They arrived in Ceduna just 28 minutes late, a great improvement on their situation back in WA.
The welcome posse have been planning their departure out of Melbourne- should be heading west around 16:00.
Ox is 9 hours west of them, so won't be catching up this trip. It's entirely likely he never intended to, but the timing of his ride suggested it. He spent over 6 hours in Perth, which is pretty casual for him if it's a 100CCC he's riding.

Last edited:

Daisy

Premier Member
I'm assuming? that they are still doing all times in eastern? So 8am will be 7.30 for us? At least while they are moving Spot gives enough info that I can calculate true position. When they stop it takes forever to catch up and they can be half an hour down the road before it updates again.
We'll check the location before we leave here in the morning and try to be in PA when they arrive. If not, it'll be a quick uturn on the highway like last time. :D

Biggles

Premier Member
I'm assuming? that they are still doing all times in eastern?
A SPOT device doesn't change its "home time", so IBR riders' SPOTS are in their Australian time zone even when they do the IB Rally.
So yes, subtract 30 minutes from their SPOT for their actual SA time, being aware, as you are, that it can delay its Spotwalla update by anything up to 30 minutes. The "findmespot.com" readout is more prompt, if you happen to know their address on that site.

They are sound asleep now in Ceduna no doubt (appearing to be at the Highway One)....then it's just one fast leg over to PA, then things start looking very familiar for them as they inch towards Adelaide and then finally toward home.

The roos will be out between Ceduna and Iron Knob before the sun comes up, but Mick will be wide awake after a good night's sleep.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
They are sound asleep now in Ceduna no doubt (appearing to be at the Highway One)....then it's just one fast leg over to PA, then things start looking very familiar for them as they inch towards Adelaide and then finally toward home.

The roos will be out between Ceduna and Iron Knob before the sun comes up, but Mick will be wide awake after a good night's sleep.
Yes sunrise near Iron Knob will be spectacular