Around the Big Paddock - SUCCESS!

Philmor

Premier Member
I just happened to be in the Portland area late yesterday afternoon (5:35pm) and bumped into the Dynamic Duo who were in good spirits, 410 kms from the finish.

01Portland.JPG

Nico getting a LTP cuddle at Port Melbourne 54 kms from the finish

02PortMelbourne.JPG

They cross the Officer BP finish line at 10:32pm last night.

03Officer.JPG

LTP making sure Fatman gets the paperwork correct :D

04Officer.JPG

Well done, well done, well done.

Fatman

Now that was a nice sleep last night. :)

Thank you all for your encouragement and support with your comments.

It was great to see the number of FarRiders/IBA members that met us or rode with us here and there along the route. Thank you

We had a ball completing this one, it is a ride that throws issues up now and then which must be solved. One that comes to mind was when we got to Barkly Homestead NT around midnight I think it was, freezing cold strong wind blowing only to find our motel room 7 doesn't have the key in the door as arranged and double checked with them from Cloncurry that this was to be done. After wandering around checking that key wasn't thrown into the garden by someone, we decided to sleep on the tables in the BBQ area. After about 10 minutes sleep, we both woke up shivering with the cold wind howling. Still not slept by around 3.30am we were thinking we would have to pull the pin on the ride, get fuel when they open at 6am and turn our ride into a holiday.
Then we heard a truck start and idle warming up for about 10 minutes before the truck exits the motel area and up the highway. I looked at Lynne and said I wonder if he left the door open to his motel room when he left, well bugger me room 8 had the key in the door so in we go straight into bed for around 3 hours of great sleeping. Mind you Lynne refused to sleep in the queens size bed that the previous bloke slept in, she took the single bed, I commented it is still warm in my big bed and drifted off to sleep easily. :rolleyes:

There will always be highs and lows on a ride like this, overcoming them as they pop up is the challenge.

We will have to do a ride report, maybe a few days to relax first. o_O

As my chauffeur, Fatman mentioned thank you to everyone for all your support and encouragement along the way and your comments.
We didn't really have time to scratch ourselves never mind looking at the forum. WOW o_O

I am humbled by the ongoing support within this great LD riding family.

A ride report will be done once I feel normal again, if that's possible and I will explain the Barkly FarqMe Homestead sarga :rolleyes:

Again thank you to everyone

Biggles

Premier Member
Now that was a nice sleep last night. :)
Then we heard a truck start and idle warming up for about 10 minutes before the truck exits the motel area and up the highway. I looked at Lynne and said I wonder if he left the door open to his motel room when he left, well bugger me room 8 had the key in the door so in we go straight into bed for around 3 hours of great sleeping. Mind you Lynne refused to sleep in the queens size bed that the previous bloke slept in, she took the single bed, I commented it is still warm in my big bed and drifted off to sleep easily. :rolleyes:

There will always be highs and lows on a ride like this, overcoming them as they pop up is the challenge.
Excellent use of the available resources!
Make sure you don't get charged for the booked room. :rolleyes:

Quite enjoyed doing the maths on your progress, watching you claw back the 70 minute deficit. It didn't look promising when your schedule was so tightly planned, especially as it got later in the ride and the chance of trimming back on the sleep time diminished.

Dicky Knee

FM & LTP...my sincere and heartfelt congratulations for a stupendous ride where you kept to the plan and road the numbers so well.

Something I noted in part of your trip planning, that i wanted to ask, but waited until now.

Some of your fuel stops in metropolitan areas required you crossing lanes of traffic to get to the fuel stop on the 'other' side of the road. South Perth/Como is a classic example.

Obviously you have a good reason for this, but......... considering (certainly Sth Perth for example) the time of day etc, was it ever a concern that you may lose valuable minutes/time trying to cross traffic lanes to continue the journey?

Fatman

FM & LTP...my sincere and heartfelt congratulations for a stupendous ride where you kept to the plan and road the numbers so well.

Something I noted in part of your trip planning, that i wanted to ask, but waited until now.

Some of your fuel stops in metropolitan areas required you crossing lanes of traffic to get to the fuel stop on the 'other' side of the road. South Perth/Como is a classic example.

Obviously you have a good reason for this, but......... considering (certainly Sth Perth for example) the time of day etc, was it ever a concern that you may lose valuable minutes/time trying to cross traffic lanes to continue the journey?
Hi Dicky Knee

Thanks for your well wishes.

I used Como for the reason that the Google Map route would go Highway 1 through Perth when plotted. I could have used Caltex at Belmont which was on the left side and rely solely on Spot to show the track taken, but thought if Spot tracks didn't bleep due to buildings etc that we may not have it covered for being certified.