Atomic 1000 - Trinity Test Site reminder

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Yes, it was a small trailer. Have fun.

Look for a white ST out of Texas. Rider's name is Tex Harkins.

I had great weather all throughout Texas and NM last week other than some light misting last Saturday. I hope you have just as good on your trip.

Tim Harkins

Premier Member
Yes, it was a small trailer. Have fun.

Look for a white ST out of Texas. Rider's name is Tex Harkins.

I had great weather all throughout Texas and NM last week other than some light misting last Saturday. I hope you have just as good on your trip.
I’m actually riding my wing.

Tim Harkins

Premier Member
I canned the ride. After less than a hundred miles I noticed my tracking had failed. But the biggest issue is the cruise control on the wing also failed and l knew my old hand would not tolerate the ride.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
So....

Submitted the application & photos for the Atomic 1000 today. That task is done.

I'll get cranking on the blog update next. Yes, we were only there about an hour...but just driving in and out of that place - and seeing the stuff they tell you to NOT take photographs of...

Heh.

Yeah, I *know* what that stuff is there for.

Neat ride - glad I was able to ride from New Mexico back home with zero drama. My wife is a trooper, and my whining (remember, no whining in LD riding, damnit!) didn't start until passing the 900 mile mark.

I have *got* to get my wife used to hearing protection. After leaving the range, it was just the earpieces in the helmets, and I didn't find my earplugs (grrr!) Yesterday was a bit of wind noise in my head while -not- moving.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Unless you *choose* to enjoy a burger or a hot dog prepared on-site by the Army MWR team, the recommendation that my wife and I would add is to bring something to munch on. The timing of getting to the site a couple of hours *after* they opened worked well (see info above on details...), and it's a ride that has some meaning.

Highly recommended.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
May I recommend either the Owl Cafe or the Buckhorn Cafe in San Antonio, between I-25 and Stallion Gate. Both known for their green chile cheeseburgers. Yum!

Ira

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There is NO DBR there...at least there wasn't back in April.

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2019/04/ldem-atomic-1000-saddlesore-ride-report.html

You *should* have some tracking - I used Spotwalla & Bubbler GPS on my phone - to prove you went there.

Photos work (which is why I've provided my blog link to my ride report...) enough to be able to prove you were there.

The required receipt is in the community of San Antonio, which is the closest one you'll find.

Again, it's the totality of the evidence that's submitted necessary to prove you did the ride.

Last edited:
That's kind of what I expected. I've got spot and Bubbler. Thanks for the reply.

There is NO DBR there...at least there wasn't back in April.

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2019/04/ldem-atomic-1000-saddlesore-ride-report.html

You *should* have some tracking - I used Spotwalla & Bubbler GPS on my phone - to prove you went there.

Photos work (which is why I've provided my blog link to my ride report...) enough to be able to prove you were there.

The required receipt is in the community of San Antonio, which is the closest one you'll find.

Again, it's the totality of the evidence that's submitted necessary to prove you did the ride.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Did you have any issues with Bubbler while you were on the Range itself?
My Spot seems to have worked while on the range in 2015. There are a few missing pings but nothing unusual

I'd don't recall if I had cell coverage. I'd be surprised if I did since we were 10-15 miles inside the range while at the Trinity site