Attack roos

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
With my father in my teens in the early 60's, we use to shoot 'roos and rabbits for pocket money. I've been with them all my life, living in the Sunraysia region.

The most memorable ride with the 'roos was back in the late '90's, in February, from Hay to Balranald after leaving at midnight.
Five km out of Hay a group of 3 'roos on the RHS, tried to brake, but just sailed straight past. Dropped the speed a couple of times, on sighting more on the RHS, ending traveling at 80km/h.
Still couldn't pull the old Suzuki GSX750E up, before I past where they were grazing. They were all on the RHS of the road, grazing on a little green from a summer thunder storm.
I stopped to tape almost up all the instrument panel, as the reflections, from glasses to visor, was interfering with my vision. It helped. (If you want to check this out, just put your hand/arm to block the dash lights/gauges to see the difference.)
Decided the 'roos were more interested in food, even the Suzi's 4 into 1 exhaust didn't faze them. I put the motion back up to my preferred, and just kept a high virgule.
I seen in excess of 200 'roos on that section, I was mentally shattered, by the time I got to Balranald. It took me an hour to recoup my senses, before I could continue.

Now 'roos can travel at 45km/h in the pitch black of night. If they are hit with a very bright light they are blinded, just like we are (but probably more so, because of the better night vision) with some of the modern day lights. This is why they get confused. They can't see. I had one, while driving a car one night, hop straight towards me, while I was braking, stupid thing, jumping into the front grille, knocked it over, then it got up and hopped away.

Dodged a number, and out braked one recently on the VFR, thank you ABS. The 'roo was one hop from "impact"(that's what I thought, so I just applied brakes to the max to lessen the crunch, closed my eyes, and waited.
When it didn't happen, eased the brakes, opened my eyes, and it was just in front of the VFR. Grabbed the brakes again and stalled the bike. Startled, the critter bounded away.

Maybe I should have braked harder on the Tiger. The wallaby took my front wheel out, and put me in a gutter beside the road. I didn't brake to the max, as I didn't want to hit it with the front suspension under full compression. Oh well.......I may have missed it?.....who knows.

After riding my bike to work for a number of years in the dawn, starting at 7am, I gave up, and bought a car. My thinking was....why "roll the dice" when I don't have too. While I am quite prepared for the bouncy buggers while riding to a plan, I try to minimize the risk, by choosing the time of year and routing. eg Night time on any freeway is a lower risk than the Hay plain.
YMMV

kwaka

Premier Member
Living in Broken Hill, NSW, I call all our roads "Kangaroo Alley". We even have 'em living in town if you know where to look. (South Hill, Line of Lode or in your front yard if the drought is bad). Fact is, roo's attack day and night, left and right.

I'm of the opinion that the breeding season makes the roo more skittish and more prone to "launch".