Auxiliary Fuel Tank - Custom Made

Jeff Hallquist

Jeff Hallquist
Premier Member
Who is making and installing auxiliary fuel tanks? I need, and sure others will as the popularity increases, a tank for an H-D Pan America Special.

FLHXHS

Premier Member

Jeff Hallquist

Jeff Hallquist
Premier Member
I've been keeping an eye on: https://www.spunaluminumgastanks.com/
or: https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/armadillo-bag-liquid-power-reservoir/ Not a tank perse

If I was to do a full IBA runner - I'd go solo seat, and pillion rack to keep it low. As I'm on a Harley-Davidson touring - I'd have to tap into the top fuel plate and flow once the fuel is low.

I'm not sure with the PanAmerica the fuel plate, but you could go all in and get a threaded bung welded on..?

Good Luck.
I’ve had auxiliary tanks on my Road Glides for years and, along with Harry Knerr, we’re the first to tap into the filler neck flange. I’m hoping to find someone who has done this on a PAS since I don’t want to tie into the tank vent and risk vapor locks. I may end up being one of the first to tap into the tank flange on the PAS.

Tep_52

Premier Member
I have done a ultra classic with vacuum feed. Ok results and with positive flow. Better. I am now playing with a BMW tail dragger. I am attempting to go more hi tech with this installation as as my goal will be to empty the aux tank first with positive flow. Using automation thru electronics. To my knowledge I maybe on the bleeding edge of this. Although I know that there are some electrical engineers on this forum.

Jeff Hallquist

Jeff Hallquist
Premier Member
I too used aux tanks on H-D Touring bikes pumping the gas into an elbow in the filler neck flange. Now I have a Pan America I plan to use the vent vacuum method. I’ve talke to e few GSA guys who’ve done this with no issues. I’ve heard of air lock and flow issues but they are few and far in between and circumstantial. Probably had a high spot in the hose.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I too used aux tanks on H-D Touring bikes pumping the gas into an elbow in the filler neck flange. Now I have a Pan America I plan to use the vent vacuum method. I’ve talke to e few GSA guys who’ve done this with no issues. I’ve heard of air lock and flow issues but they are few and far in between and circumstantial. Probably had a high spot in the hose.
For what it's worth there are some who could not get the vent vacuum working on a GSA, I am one of them. I know I don't have a good seal between the fuel cap assembly and the tank, have not figured out the cause yet.

Not saying to not try it, just wanted to let you know that it does not always work.

Good luck!

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
On my FJ-09 there are actually two vent lines on the main tank, so I would have had to tap into both of them in order to use the vent feed method. I ended up drilling the tank for a bulkhead fitting. If there are two vent line connections on the GSA tank, this might explain the inconsistent performance.

Jeff Hallquist

Jeff Hallquist
Premier Member
Typically, one line is the tank vent, and one is the overflow which is above the seal for the gas cap. The overflow line should have no effect on the vacuum created as long as the gas cap seals properly. As the gas in the main tank is consumed, it is replaced by the gas in the auxiliary tank, in real time. The auxiliary tank vent becomes the vent for both tanks. That’s how I understand it should work. Problems can occur by filling the main tank first if the auxiliary tank is empty. This can trap air in the vent line. If the vacuum is not maintained properly then air lock can occur.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Typically, one line is the tank vent, and one is the overflow which is above the seal for the gas cap. The overflow line should have no effect on the vacuum created as long as the gas cap seals properly.
Ah yes, that explains the two lines I saw. Duh.