Auxiliary tank for voyager

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well Chuck ... you have set me back on the track of a tank morph.
Dug out my spare tank and going to price up the mod.
Means I carry less fuel than the big Aux tank but that's good and means I don't have to fit the small Aux tank so more space...

Thank's for posting the Photos of the FJR

Chuck35

Premier Member
There is a thread on fjrforum.com "frankentank" that shows the build stages and is a good way to get in touch with the creator. He goes by the nick dirttracker30. AFAIK the IBA is fine with them, two were in the last IBR. While I haven't ran mine dry, the bottom isn't changed so it is safe to assume just as much of reserve can be burned. No sloshing issues.
Thanks all for the complements!

Slasher

Premier Member
I'm not super familiar with a KLR but... using a KLR instead of that comfy silver la zy boy recliner on wheels you got there just for a bigger tank seems like a poor decision to me.
I just seen a ims fuel tank for my klr, 10 gal and it's $550, might be the way to go.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I'm not super familiar with a KLR but... using a KLR instead of that comfy silver la zy boy recliner on wheels you got there just for a bigger tank seems like a poor decision to me.
I've done rides on both bikes, I have the klr so it's pretty comfortable, beadrider, new grips, taller windshield, throttle lock, I can move all over the bike, it's light, the only thing is when I'm on the interstate, it doesn't have the speed that the voyager has, I'm using the klr when I do the rockinride rally, I'll definitely do some kind of report on it when I'm done.

Slasher

Premier Member
I've done rides on both bikes, I have the klr so it's pretty comfortable, beadrider, new grips, taller windshield, throttle lock, I can move all over the bike, it's light, the only thing is when I'm on the interstate, it doesn't have the speed that the voyager has, I'm using the klr when I do the rockinride rally, I'll definitely do some kind of report on it when I'm done.
Hey, its your butt... If its comfy on the KLR then so be it! Being underpowered on the interstate would probably be a deal breaker for me... When your about to get run over sometimes the only place to go is forward, if you don't have the ponies left to go there, bad things could happen. I had an 883 Sportster for awhile and it was the same way. Would cruise great at 70 MPH all day long but it didn't have much left.

TdLpps

Premier Member
I've googled and googled, been on the vulcan forums and can find nothing on a auxiliary fuel tank for my 09 voyager, if anybody can help with an idea and set up I'd appreciate it, thanks.
I used to have a 2012 Voyager and fitted an aux fuel tank on it in two different configurations. One with, and one without, a top box. Some explanations and pictures are on a thread I started here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/42546-no-longer-guy-who-needs-fuel-first.html . I'd be happy to help you set up something similar.

For what it's worth, I'm on a Wing now but this setup worked well and gave me 300 mile fuel stops on SS and a BBG ride.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I used to have a 2012 Voyager and fitted an aux fuel tank on it in two different configurations. One with, and one without, a top box. Some explanations and pictures are on a thread I started here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/42546-no-longer-guy-who-needs-fuel-first.html . I'd be happy to help you set up something similar.

For what it's worth, I'm on a Wing now but this setup worked well and gave me 300 mile fuel stops on SS and a BBG ride.
I want to keep my top trunk, and need something that comes off when I have a passenger, do you have any pics of that configuration?

TdLpps

Premier Member
Yeah. The second picture shows the mounts I made that would allow for the top box to be used and would clear the lid while opening. The fuel line used a quick disconnect and the electrical for the pump used a weatherpak connector so that the electrical and fuel lines could be disconnected quickly. The bracket could be removed from under the top box in five minutes so a passenger could use the pillion seat. The fuel tank doubled as a backrest.

These pictures show a little more detail on the second version that was used with the top box:

The fuel tank and pump went to my usual riding buddy but the brackets are still in my garage and they were the complicated part.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I see you live in California, the dealer here said that the gas tank is different for California, he said it's easier to do a aux tank on it, is that right?

TdLpps

Premier Member
Pay for the shipping and I'll give you the brackets. I'd rather have them on the road on another Voyager than sitting on a shelf in my garage. You'll still need a tank and pump but that's the easy part. I'll talk you through the plumbing.

TdLpps

Premier Member
Yes. Mine was a California bike and had a charcoal canister. It makes the fuel transfer easier. Look under your bike and see if yours has one.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
My bike is an 09 it's in the shop getting new tires, I've never seen a canister, the California tanks have something different about them, I forget, by I was told there was no way to get the fuel from the aux tank into the main tank, without drilling a hole in the main tank.

TdLpps

Premier Member
The charcoal canister equipped bikes have a fuel return line that can be used to pump fuel into the main tank. If your bike is not equipped a fitting can be welded into your tank.

Unfortunately, the Voyager isn't used for LD riding in big enough numbers for any manufacturer to put together a set up for you. You'll have make something yourself. Accessing the tank sounds scary, but it sounds worse than it actually is. You could have a welder or radiator repair shop weld in a bung if your bike doesn't have a fuel return line.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
That's what it was, there isn't a return line, I'd need a California tank, I have 0 skills or tools to make anything, then the cost of having everything made scared me off and gave up on the idea, I was hoping for a plug and play system, but your right there isn't many voyagers doing the LD stuff.

TdLpps

Premier Member
Nobody was born with the skills needed to do stuff like this. In many cases, mine included, asking a lot of questions led to understanding. Then, actually putting tools in hand are the easy part. You don't need a California tank. You just need to be capable of removing your tank and giving it someone who will place a fitting in the right spot. Everything else a just righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Summit Racing sells all of the fuel parts you'll need. The electrical is about as simple as adding a power port for a GPS or phone charger.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Nobody was born with the skills needed to do stuff like this. In many cases, mine included, asking a lot of questions led to understanding. Then, actually putting tools in hand are the easy part. You don't need a California tank. You just need to be capable of removing your tank and giving it someone who will place a fitting in the right spot. Everything else a just righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Summit Racing sells all of the fuel parts you'll need. The electrical is about as simple as adding a power port for a GPS or phone charger.
I think the reason the dealer said to get a California tank is for resale, the next guy may not want the aux fuel system, so then my tank is junk, plus I'd have to get mine repainted once it's cut and welded.

TdLpps

Premier Member
Not the case. The fitting is out of sight, located on the underside of the tank, and can be capped off if you sell the bike. No problem, though. If you change your mind, let me know.