BASE CAMP... OPTIMIZE THE ROUTE QUESTION

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Does anyone know how Optimize works in Garmin Base Camp.
My understanding of the word should really mean it improves the route. ie faster, shorter, more efficient etc.
However on several routes I plan it can make the route longer in time and distance.
So what am I missing ?

JON12A

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the input Ziggy I want to understand this.
By pressing Optimize does it sort the route by the best/ fastest activity profile you have ?.
Or can it optimize the route within the same activity profile ?.
Your example seems to show it changing your route from Motorcycling profile to Iba gold profile.
But you wont want to travel at Gold pace all the time.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The activity profile determines what sort of riding you want to do: shorter, faster, etc and controls things like the speeds BC uses to figure out stuff like that. The main purpose of the [Optimize] button is to reorder the waypoints so you need to specify, via the activity profile, what you're trying to achieve.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
My experience of hitting the Optimize button in Basecamp is the same as it was/is in Autoroute. You can bung any number of controls into a route in any order you like and when optimized it justs sorts out the most efficient order to visit each one.

As we all know it will still try and route you down narrow back lanes with grass growing in the middle because they have a 60 limit and won't know about likely congestion etc. This is why I rarely ever use it. I'll just let the sat nav take me down back lanes instead, as I always do every May anyway :mad:

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the input Ziggy I want to understand this.
By pressing Optimize does it sort the route by the best/ fastest activity profile you have ?.
Or can it optimize the route within the same activity profile ?.
Your example seems to show it changing your route from Motorcycling profile to Iba gold profile.
But you wont want to travel at Gold pace all the time.
I have a few Profiles which is setup for different types of ride day ...
The Gold Pace will let me know what is possible at that pace running the Route Preference to Fastest time point to point.
The Normal Profile still uses the Fastest time but I reduced the Average speed.
The Short Profile Average speed same as the Normal but the Route Preference is set to Shortest route.

All Profiles use all the same Avoidance's

Road Avoidance's .. Unpaved Roads selected .. So I'm not using all types of roads
Feature Avoidance's .. Avoid .. Cable Cars, Narrow Trails and Climbing Paths.

Like Mark (FJRPilot) has mentioned if you just enter all of your waypoints the select them all select make route out of selected waypoints then it will make a route up in that order .. By pressing Optimise the Base camp will route to and from the furthest points.

By adding the waypoints one by one No Optimisation is needed and if you press the button it remains the same to the custom profile anyway.

The Profiles now working are within 5 - 10 mins ETA.. but the route is only for Basecamp ..
Once I've copied it to the Garmin(s) I only select the waypoints.
If you do want to follow the route (Which I have in the past) then Don't allow the Garmin GPS unit to recalculate when it ask's. This will then let you use the route planned by your Basecamp edit.
If you do allow the GPS Unit to recalculate the route it may find a short cut that it thinks is a faster route or send you on a narrow trail.

Hope this helps ... I don't mind an hour or so in Calais to review bit's & bob's let me know & I'll pack a laptop ..

Last edited:

AyrtonO

Premier Member
And how about average speed customizing ? Sure it's depending personal driving style but have you tuned them for IBA runs / rallyes and how ?

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
And how about average speed customizing ? Sure it's depending personal driving style but have you tuned them for IBA runs / rallyes and how ?
I have customised speeds via the Routing Profile .... Example (Not used) ...
By looking at my receipts on IBA Certified rides I can have personal customised speed data for the Ride Type, Area and Country.
This only for me to test if it's possible to do, I normally route plan at Gold pace then compromise if the timings don't work.

upload_2017-1-10_14-11-15.png

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
upload_2017-1-10_17-6-46.png
I'm surprised you don't avoid ferries :)
Hull, Rotterdam etc Dave ...
If I'm doing a Multi-day ride then I normally would have a waypoint to push the route calculation away from a small ferry.
Heading to Sweden from Germany is a good example.. I'd be fuelling in Denmark or/and at the service station at the bridge (The Bridge Toll Ticket indicates the route taken if I don't fill up).

JON12A

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ill bring my laptop to Luxembourg RTE.
Always best to see it first hand.
Thanks to everyone who helped on this one.