BaseCamp Development Discontinued

Vlad

Premier Member
That is disappointing, let’s hope they continue to support it, it takes a while to get the full gist of routing software.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The bigger worry should be that Basecamp is a 32 bit application and very soon Mac and Windows will stop running 32 bit applications. At that time, unless you remain on an older os version Basecamp will stop working.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
The bigger worry should be that Basecamp is a 32 bit application and very soon Mac and Windows will stop running 32 bit applications. At that time, unless you remain on an older os version Basecamp will stop working.
Both MacOS and Windows are 64-bit OS's and both run 32-bit apps just fine. I have neither seen nor heard any indication that Windows will drop support for 32-bit apps. As a matter of fact, when installing Office 365, you are given a choice between the 32-bit or the 64-bit version and why you would want to install either.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Apple has already announced it's plan to stop 32 bit support and Windows will have no choice but to flow eventually. Maybe not today, maybe not next year but at some point 32 bit apps will not be supported. Just logical and that should be the main concern, at some point unless you have an older os running Basecamp will stop working. That some day be sooner for Mac users.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I believe there are too many 32-bit business apps out there for MS to stop supporting them, but I have heard MS may be ditching the entire kernel and move towards something like Linux (whatever that means). Apple is just plain retarded and their fanbois will do whatever Apple tells them to do.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
It seems we are safe for a while....
64-bit Basecamp released
While this is for the Mac, I am somewhat hopeful that there will be a Windows version forthcoming. I say this because the Mac version went from 4.7.0 to 4.8.3; the current version of BaseCamp on Windows is also 4.7.0, so it seems that Garmin is keeping the version number the same across platforms.

HOWEVER, in the changelog, the only thing they mentioned was that they updated BaseCamp to a 64-bit application. No mention (or screenshots), of any GUI improvements, if any.

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I use an older Mac that I do not think will support the new version. How can I move Basecamp to a newer Mac that will support this new version?

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I use an older Mac that I do not think will support the new version. How can I move Basecamp to a newer Mac that will support this new version?
I'm assuming you know that all you would need to do is to download the new version to a new Mac, but if you're asking about moving the data from the old Mac to the new one, then perform a backup.

I don't know how the Mac version works, but in Windows, one would open BaseCamp, click on "My Collection", go under "File", and then choose "Backup". Basecamp will ask for a location and name for the backup data. Once done, move the file to the new Mac, go under "File" and choose "Restore".

Russ Black

Premier Member
System Requirements:
Intel based Mac running OS 10.10 or higher. Users on older OS's should use BaseCamp 2.1.2 available here.
1024 MB RAM (2048 MB recommended)

Pretty self explanatory. OS 10.10 is Yosemite which is a few versions back. Any Mac with an Intel processor. That goes way back.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I emailed Garmin. Their reply was that the guy knew of no plans to update the version for Windows or to improve its GUI or ease-of-use.

I seriously wish that there was an alternative.

Russ Black

Premier Member
After re-reading your question... I beleive you have two Macs, of which one is newer and the other is older. The older is the one you have been using and now you want to use the new Base Camp on the newer Mac and transfer the data from the older machine. If this is true... then you should be able to do this through your device. On the older Mac with the device connected, launch Base Camp. Right click on "My Collection" in the lower window on the left and select "Send to your device" under the transfer menu. Once that is completed. Disconnect the device and attach it to the newer Mac with the latest version of Base Camp installed. Lauch Base Camp and right click on your device in the upper window on the left and select "Receive from device". Let us know if that works.

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Russ,

That's exactly what I needed to do. Thanks for the information. I followed your advice and it worked....mostly. I had to re-enter a few things, but it got the job done. Thank you.

Matt